GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sowing Grass Seed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/45538-sowing-grass-seed.html)

Steve 16-10-2003 10:42 AM

Sowing Grass Seed

Hi everyone ,

I have bare land out in the back garden and I was wondering whether
its too late in the year too sow grass seed , and advice on what type of
seed to sow , I live in the N/W of England

TIA

Steve

Steve Harris 16-10-2003 05:23 PM

Sowing Grass Seed

I have bare land out in the back garden and I was wondering
whether its too late in the year too sow grass seed , and advice on
what type of seed to sow , I live in the N/W of England

It's getting *close* to "too late" especially if you have done no
preparation. The choice of seed depends on:

- How much shade?
- How good do you want it to look
- How much wear will it get

Steve 16-10-2003 11:02 PM

Sowing Grass Seed

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I have bare land out in the back garden and I was wondering
whether its too late in the year too sow grass seed , and advice on
what type of seed to sow , I live in the N/W of England

It's getting *close* to "too late" especially if you have done no
preparation. The choice of seed depends on:

- How much shade?
- How good do you want it to look
- How much wear will it get

I want a good looking lawn , not to bothered about hardwearing as
it wont be down trodden too much , what type of seed would you recommend
, As for shade , the lawn (Nrorth Facing) gets around 5 hours on most
parts( tho not all at once)
per day

TIA

Steve

Steve Harris 17-10-2003 01:12 AM

Sowing Grass Seed

In article ,
(Steve) wrote:

I want a good looking lawn , not to bothered about hardwearing as
it wont be down trodden too much , what type of seed would you
recommend As for shade , the lawn (Nrorth Facing) gets around 5 hours
on most parts( tho not all at once)

Seed is usually sold as mixtures of several species with a description
of the use. I've just sown seed for a similar situation to yours. I
looked for "fine lawn" (as opposed to "family" or "with rye grass") and
"shady". I bought some at Wilkinsons.