Old 20-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Advert

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
news
In article , Tony Bull
writes

Apology accepted Franz, however I can't understand why you have such a
downer on advertisements. You can at least passively ignore them. i

B U T I have to pay to download the !£*@!"£ things - and that I object
to - especially if I am downloading something that I know should be free
of the things I don't want to pay to download ((

If you are so broke that a thousandth of a penny matters to you, join the
same ISP as I utilise. It does not charge for conection time at all.

Franz

Old 20-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Martin Sykes

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , K
writes
:
It's a bit like the phobia somebody might have that urg will be swamped

by
posts that are never snipped, if you see what I mean :O)

Eggsackly - why pay n times the price to download the same old stuff n
times when one reads it only once

I'm glad you agree!!!!!!!!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Off topic, but does it really take longer to download longer posts?

I know the answer is intuitively 'yes', but since upgrading to broadband,
I've noticed no improvement in the time take to download news. My e-mail
flies now but news is still the same speed so it looks like most of the time
spent downloading news is not actually spent in the transfer of the data but
in some other task.

Any ideas anyone?

And if only everyone top-posted, we wouldn't have to scroll down through it
all ;-)

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 20-10-2003, 04:23 PM
JennyC

"Tony Bull" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
Could I perhaps suggest a less 'busier' site ?

-Maybe changing the colours to be in the same range would help.
-I'd also try to get the home page to fit onto a smaller screen
resolution as its always better not to have to scroll on the first
page.
-I'd use a different menu structure too as it's perhaps not clear

people how it slides out (there are a lot of inexperienced

computer
uses out there!)
-The follow up pages seem to have a lot of empty space on them.

Jenny
www.welcome.to/webwise

Thanks again Jenny
I have only just seen your constructive comments. I must try to do
something about the empty spaces and your comment about not

scrolling
on the first page is so obvious to me but only now that you have
pointed it out.
Tony Bull www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk

That's OK Tony, always happy to pick holes in other peoples sites :~))

Old 20-10-2003, 04:23 PM
JennyC

"Franz Heymann" wrote
"Jane Ransom" wrote
writes
:
It's a bit like the phobia somebody might have that urg will be

swamped
byposts that are never snipped, if you see what I mean :O)

Eggsackly - why pay n times the price to download the same old

stuff n
times when one reads it only once

I'm glad you agree!!!!!!!!!!

I understand folk who indulge in penny pinching, but being worried

about
something somewhat less than 0.001p is stretching it a bit.
Franz

I have a cable connection so don't care a fig about the download time,
BUT I hate scrolling down to read a one liner at the bottom of a
thread !!!
Jenny

Old 20-10-2003, 05:03 PM
martin

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:17:23 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

I have a cable connection so don't care a fig about the download time,
BUT I hate scrolling down to read a one liner at the bottom of a
thread !!!

Let the page down button do the work.
--
Martin

Old 20-10-2003, 05:32 PM

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "Jane Ransom" wrote in message
: news : In article , Tony Bull
: writes
:
: Apology accepted Franz, however I can't understand why you have such a
: downer on advertisements. You can at least passively ignore them. i
:
: B U T I have to pay to download the !£*@!"£ things - and that I object
: to - especially if I am downloading something that I know should be free
: of the things I don't want to pay to download ((
:
: If you are so broke that a thousandth of a penny matters to you, join the
: same ISP as I utilise. It does not charge for conection time at all.
:
: Franz
:
So, what you're saying is, that it's alright for you to moan about the
things you don't like, but not for others to do the same?

Old 20-10-2003, 06:02 PM
JennyC

wrote:

I have a cable connection so don't care a fig about the download

time,
BUT I hate scrolling down to read a one liner at the bottom of a
thread !!!

Let the page down button do the work.
Martin

I STILL hate it !
Jenny

Old 20-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
[...]

In which case it would be impossible to disentangle the logical development
of the thread.

Franz

Old 20-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "K" contains these words:

So, what you're saying is, that it's alright for you to moan about the
things you don't like, but not for others to do the same?

It's all done with mirrors, K, the same as Franz moaning at other
people for bad editing and failed attributions.

Janet.
Old 20-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "K" contains these words:

It's a bit like the phobia somebody might have that urg will be swamped by
posts that are never snipped, if you see what I mean :O)

What, like yours?

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 20-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message t
from LordSnooty contains these words:

Nah, more likely you're just a prick.

Plonk.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 20-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

I have a cable connection so don't care a fig about the download time,
BUT I hate scrolling down to read a one liner at the bottom of a
thread !!!

Likewise, I feel the same about a post. If I can't see any of the answer
on screen I usually delete and go on to the next item.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 20-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains
these words:

Off topic, but does it really take longer to download longer posts?

I know the answer is intuitively 'yes', but since upgrading to broadband,
I've noticed no improvement in the time take to download news. My e-mail
flies now but news is still the same speed so it looks like most of the time
spent downloading news is not actually spent in the transfer of the data but
in some other task.

Seems odd. I'd expect news to be quicker too - unless you're using
something web-based.

Any ideas anyone?

And if only everyone top-posted, we wouldn't have to scroll down through it
all ;-)

If everyone top-posted I for one would just delete it all unread, as I'm
hootered if I'm going to scroll down to see the context and then return
to the top to read the answer.

Anything top-posted which isn't immediately understood just gets
deleted. Anyone who always top-posts just gets plonked. I just CBA.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 20-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Anne Jackson

The message
from Jaques d'Altrades contains these words:

Anything top-posted which isn't immediately understood just gets
deleted. Anyone who always top-posts just gets plonked. I just CBA.

Same here, and I also refuse to scroll down forever to read something.
If it doesn't appear on my screen, it's not read!

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282
Old 20-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Anne Jackson

The message
from Jaques d'Altrades contains these words:

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

I have a cable connection so don't care a fig about the download time,
BUT I hate scrolling down to read a one liner at the bottom of a
thread !!!

Likewise, I feel the same about a post. If I can't see any of the answer
on screen I usually delete and go on to the next item.

Oops, I just said virtually the same thing in my last post!

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

Heritage Vegetable Seed Catalogue (ADVERT) Ray Warner United Kingdom 9 27-10-2003 09:12 PM
Bloody Advert was____ Advert k United Kingdom 8 21-10-2003 04:12 PM
ADVERT Tony Bull United Kingdom 26 15-07-2003 08:21 PM
ADVERT Tony Bull United Kingdom 0 07-07-2003 08:28 PM
Advert - Authentic Garden prints and designs Rob United Kingdom 0 16-05-2003 12:32 AM