Old 20-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default Advert

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from "K" contains these words:

So, what you're saying is, that it's alright for you to moan about the
things you don't like, but not for others to do the same?

It's all done with mirrors, K, the same as Franz moaning at other
people for bad editing and failed attributions.

Me-me-me-me-me-me-me miss!

I moan at them too, miss!

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 20-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Martin Sykes
writes
Off topic, but does it really take longer to download longer posts?

It's not just the download time, it is the clogging up of the internet
problem. You think of the number of people receiving the posts and
multiply that by the length of the post and then consider that it has to
zoom around the bowels of the internet. The shorter we keep our posts,
the fewer we keep them, the more efficient the internet is!!! And that
is why I hate useless, unwanted spam and adverts and binaries as well.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 20-10-2003, 09:33 PM
martin

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:24:56 +0100, "K" wrote:

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

: If you are so broke that a thousandth of a penny matters to you, join the
: same ISP as I utilise. It does not charge for conection time at all.
:
: Franz
:
So, what you're saying is, that it's alright for you to moan about the
things you don't like, but not for others to do the same?

Where does Franz say that?
--
Martin
Old 20-10-2003, 09:33 PM
martin

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:43:01 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:17:23 +0200, "JennyC"

wrote:

I have a cable connection so don't care a fig about the download

time,
BUT I hate scrolling down to read a one liner at the bottom of a
thread !!!

Let the page down button do the work.
Martin

I STILL hate it !

Me too, almost as much as top posting.
--
Martin
Old 20-10-2003, 09:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "K" contains these words:

So, what you're saying is, that it's alright for you to moan about the
things you don't like, but not for others to do the same?

It's all done with mirrors, K, the same as Franz moaning at other
people for bad editing and failed attributions.

I write enough nonsense of my own to make it unnecessary and undesirable to
have other folks' nonsense attributed to me as well.

Franz

Old 20-10-2003, 09:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains
these words:

Off topic, but does it really take longer to download longer posts?

I know the answer is intuitively 'yes', but since upgrading to

broadband,
I've noticed no improvement in the time take to download news. My e-mail
flies now but news is still the same speed so it looks like most of the

time
spent downloading news is not actually spent in the transfer of the data

but
in some other task.

Seems odd. I'd expect news to be quicker too - unless you're using
something web-based.

Any ideas anyone?

And if only everyone top-posted, we wouldn't have to scroll down through

it
all ;-)

If everyone top-posted I for one would just delete it all unread, as I'm
hootered if I'm going to scroll down to see the context and then return
to the top to read the answer.

And moreover, if it had been top-posted more than once, you would have to
scroll down more than once to search for the context.
The netiquette rule of posting in- line was not invented just for the joke.

Anything top-posted which isn't immediately understood just gets
deleted. Anyone who always top-posts just gets plonked. I just CBA.

And I deliberately did not snip, because all of the thread as it stands is
still context.

Franz

Old 20-10-2003, 10:33 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Anne Jackson contains these words:

Likewise, I feel the same about a post. If I can't see any of the answer
on screen I usually delete and go on to the next item.

Oops, I just said virtually the same thing in my last post!

Boodly economisers!

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 21-10-2003, 01:03 AM

"martin" wrote in message
: On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:24:56 +0100, "K" wrote:
:
:
: "Franz Heymann" wrote in message
: ...
:
: : If you are so broke that a thousandth of a penny matters to you, join
the
: : same ISP as I utilise. It does not charge for conection time at all.
: :
: : Franz
: :
: So, what you're saying is, that it's alright for you to moan about the
: things you don't like, but not for others to do the same?
:
: Where does Franz say that?
: --
: Martin

If you read the thread from the start it was Franz who first moaned about
the advert, but he doesn't seem to like it when others mention good editing
procedures or the fact that long unsnipped posts costs both time or money.

Old 21-10-2003, 09:32 AM
JennyC

"Jane Ransom" wrote
Martin Sykes writes
Off topic, but does it really take longer to download longer posts?

It's not just the download time, it is the clogging up of the

internet
problem. You think of the number of people receiving the posts and
multiply that by the length of the post and then consider that it

has to
zoom around the bowels of the internet. The shorter we keep our

posts,
the fewer we keep them, the more efficient the internet is!!! And

that
is why I hate useless, unwanted spam and adverts and binaries as

well.
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

AND all those silly, sentimental, soppy (mostly american) things with
'send this on to X women/men/friends/ within 24 hours and you will be
lucky all week'
YUK
Jenny

Old 21-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Martin Sykes
writes
Off topic, but does it really take longer to download longer posts?

It's not just the download time, it is the clogging up of the internet
problem. You think of the number of people receiving the posts and
multiply that by the length of the post and then consider that it has to
zoom around the bowels of the internet. The shorter we keep our posts,
the fewer we keep them, the more efficient the internet is!!! And that
is why I hate useless, unwanted spam and adverts and binaries as well.

The problem which worries you about long posts to urg is utterly negligible
in comparison with the amount of spam which is circulating, and the amount
of clogging caused by, for instance, the Swen virus. I get more than twice
the number of attacks daily from that pest than the total number of emails
and newsgroup notes per day.

Franz

Old 21-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"K" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "Jane Ransom" wrote in message
: news : In article , Tony

Bull
: writes
:
: Apology accepted Franz, however I can't understand why you have such

: downer on advertisements. You can at least passively ignore them. i
:
: B U T I have to pay to download the !£*@!"£ things - and that I

object
: to - especially if I am downloading something that I know should be

free
: of the things I don't want to pay to download ((
:
: If you are so broke that a thousandth of a penny matters to you, join

the
: same ISP as I utilise. It does not charge for conection time at all.
:
: Franz
:
So, what you're saying is, that it's alright for you to moan about the
things you don't like, but not for others to do the same?

Actually, no.
Putting words into the mouths of others is one of the feeblest forms of
forwarding an argument.

Franz

Old 21-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"K" wrote in message

"martin" wrote in message
[...]

My feelings about the items you mention have reasons. Please address those
instead of raising a straw man.

Franz

Old 21-10-2003, 12:02 PM

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "K" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Franz Heymann" wrote in message
: ...
: :
: : "Jane Ransom" wrote in message
: : news : : In article , Tony
: Bull
: : writes
: :
: : Apology accepted Franz, however I can't understand why you have
such
: a
[...]
Who's putting words into anyone's mouth? Please note the question mark at
the end of the sentence in my former post. I'm just trying to get it clear
in my mind why your protestations about the things you find annoying are any
more valid or important than those which annoy others, which you seem to
brush aside with a crass comment to the effect that it only costs xyz pence
and if you can't afford it ........

I interpret that as being a Net Nanny when it suits you,

Old 21-10-2003, 12:02 PM

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "K" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "martin" wrote in message
: ...
: : On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:24:56 +0100, "K" wrote:
: :
: :
: : "Franz Heymann" wrote in message
: : ...
: :
: : : If you are so broke that a thousandth of a penny matters to you,
join
: the
: : : same ISP as I utilise. It does not charge for conection time at
all.
: : :
: : : Franz
: : :
: : So, what you're saying is, that it's alright for you to moan about
the
: : things you don't like, but not for others to do the same?
: :
: : Where does Franz say that?
: : --
: : Martin
:
: If you read the thread from the start it was Franz who first moaned
about
: the advert, but he doesn't seem to like it when others mention good
: editing
: procedures or the fact that long unsnipped posts costs both time or
money.
:
: My feelings about the items you mention have reasons. Please address
those
: instead of raising a straw man.
:
: Franz
:
So do other people's feelings have reasons but you seem ready to brush them
aside because they are trivial, or of no concern to you.

Old 21-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Jaques d'Altrades contains these words:

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from "K" contains these words:

So, what you're saying is, that it's alright for you to moan about the
things you don't like, but not for others to do the same?

It's all done with mirrors, K, the same as Franz moaning at other
people for bad editing and failed attributions.

Me-me-me-me-me-me-me miss!

I moan at them too, miss!

I seldom miss, butterfingers.

The difference between you and me moaning at bad editors, and Franz
doing it, is that you and I are good editors.

Janet.

Heritage Vegetable Seed Catalogue (ADVERT) Ray Warner United Kingdom 9 27-10-2003 09:12 PM
Bloody Advert was____ Advert k United Kingdom 8 21-10-2003 04:12 PM
ADVERT Tony Bull United Kingdom 26 15-07-2003 08:21 PM
ADVERT Tony Bull United Kingdom 0 07-07-2003 08:28 PM
Advert - Authentic Garden prints and designs Rob United Kingdom 0 16-05-2003 12:32 AM