Old 17-10-2003, 09:22 PM
ajr

Default White 'flies' on my tomatoes

Evening,

I think that this topic was covered about a month ago on this group but I
can't find it on my system - so apologies for repeating the question.

My tomatoes are still growing/ripening etc, however the leaves on the plants
are covered with little white flies - little negatives of black flies!

What are they, what do they do and should I do something about them next
year or leave them alone?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Andrew

Old 18-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Alan Gould

In article , ajr
writes
Evening,

I think that this topic was covered about a month ago on this group but I
can't find it on my system - so apologies for repeating the question.

My tomatoes are still growing/ripening etc, however the leaves on the plants
are covered with little white flies - little negatives of black flies!

What are they, what do they do and should I do something about them next
year or leave them alone?

Assuming that the tomatoes are growing in a greenhouse, it would be well
to tackle them now while they are active or they will hibernate over
winter to re-breed and become an annual nuisance to all your crops. They
are there because they like the conditions, so you will need to make
things less pleasant for them, while at the same time not harming your
plants or their crops.

We use an infusion of nettles in water for that job because it is an
organic insect repellent rather than a chemical pesticide which can
leave unwanted residues on the tomatoes. We apply it to the leaves of
the plants and within a day or so, all the white flies are gone. Any
remaining nettle infusion is then ingested through the leaves into the
plants to act as an organic plant tonic and feed.

Nettle infusion can be prepared by soaking young leaves in water for
7-10 days, by which time they will have biodegraded. The infusion has a
characteristic odour, but it is not long lasting and is one of the
reasons for its effectiveness. Full details can be read in the urg FAQ
on the subject at: http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 18-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , ajr

[snip]

Any
remaining nettle infusion is then ingested through the leaves into the
plants to act as an organic plant tonic and feed.

Rubbish. Plants do not have stomachs and cannot digest organic matter. It
is also a moot point whether organic molecules, which tend to be rather
large objects, can penetrate through the surface of the leaves into the
interior of the plant.

[snip]

Franz Heymann

Old 18-10-2003, 10:02 AM
martin

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 08:48:01 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , ajr

[snip]

Any
remaining nettle infusion is then ingested through the leaves into the
plants to act as an organic plant tonic and feed.

Rubbish. Plants do not have stomachs and cannot digest organic matter. It
is also a moot point whether organic molecules, which tend to be rather
large objects, can penetrate through the surface of the leaves into the
interior of the plant.

[snip]

Franz Heymann

spoil sport :-)
--
Martin
Old 18-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I must say, I was a bit surprised at Franz's reply. Surely he's heard of
foliar feeds?

Or commercial systemic pesticides or weedkillers, also applied to
foliage and absorbed through it.

Janet.

Old 18-10-2003, 09:22 PM
AliCat

"Franz Heymann"
wrote in message

"Alan Gould" wrote

in message
In article

, Franz Heymann
notfranz.
writes
Plants do not have stomachs and cannot

digest organic matter. It
is also a moot point whether organic

molecules, which tend to be rather
large objects, can penetrate through the

surface of the leaves into the
interior of the plant.

Plants do not have stomachs, but they process

dissolved nutrients into a
growing medium, both through their leaves and

through their roots. They
also process light into plant food by

photosynthesis.

I believe that I am correct in saying that

plants make use of only inorganic
compounds as nutrients.
If anybody has actual evidence to prove me

wrong, I will of course
apologise.

I'd like to tell you about a little experiment I
conducted last year. I'd noticed that Teasel
plants in my garden were collecting water in the
base of the leaves and flies and other insects
were becoming trapped in the water. I wondered if
they were getting any nutriment from this.

So, I made holes in all of the leaves in some
plants to drain the water, these plants became
quite sickly compared with those I left alone.
Now the bit I'm not sure about, but here goes,
shoot me down, tell me the correct answer,
whatever. Anyway, I'm pretty sure drowned, rotting
insects produce mostly organic compounds, so I
assume that the Teasels are using those; and maybe
they are a special case, on their way to becoming
a "carniverous" plant, but to me it looks as
though Teasels do use organic compounds as
nutrients.

This year I'm mainly trying to get rid of the
b****y things.

Old 19-10-2003, 06:13 AM
Alan Gould

In article , AliCat
writes
[...]

You are quite right to assume that decaying animal or plant material
becomes nutrients useable by plants. Not all are suitable for any plant
though and not all decaying material would readily be chosen as plant
feed by gardeners practising organic systems.

A very useful and interesting work of reference dealing with many of the
ways in which plants evolve, propagate, acquire their food, how they
relate to other plants, animals and their environments is 'The Private
Life of Plants' - a natural history of plant behaviour by David
Attenborough. Pub. 1995 by BBC books ISBN 0563 37023 8

Principles of organic gardening are described in an urg FAQ at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFA...gardening.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

White flies joebee Australia 0 07-11-2003 09:32 PM
white flies on tomatoes abe and sally Gardening 3 01-09-2003 01:02 PM
tomatoes and white flies kronos408 Edible Gardening 3 19-07-2003 07:42 PM
White flies Howie Gardening 1 26-06-2003 12:44 AM
White flies in soil and on citrus Snooze Gardening 1 25-01-2003 02:02 PM