GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   To cover or not (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/45667-cover-not.html)

Steve Harris 18-10-2003 12:32 PM

To cover or not

I've prepared a plot for next year's runner beans (trenching, etc) and
am wondering what to do with it over the winter.

I could of course just leave it bare.

I looked at green manures/cover crops but the only one I could sow now
is Field Beans which doesn't seem a very good idea.

Suggestions?

Robert 18-10-2003 01:12 PM

To cover or not

:
: I could of course just leave it bare.
:
: I looked at green manures/cover crops but the only one I could sow now
: is Field Beans which doesn't seem a very good idea.
:
: Suggestions?
:
: Steve Harris - Cheltenham - Real address steve AT netservs DOT com

I would let the weather get at it and hoe it over to clear any annual weeds
in the spring

Sad Sid 18-10-2003 03:12 PM

To cover or not

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I've prepared a plot for next year's runner beans (trenching, etc) and
am wondering what to do with it over the winter.

I've put winter spuds in mine.

Steve Harris 18-10-2003 06:13 PM

To cover or not

In article ,
(Robert) wrote:

I would let the weather get at it

I should have perhaps said that it's loose and sandy rather than clay
and lumps.

Steve Harris 18-10-2003 06:13 PM

To cover or not

In article , . (Sad
Sid) wrote:

I've put winter spuds in mine.

You have a polytunnel?

Michael Berridge 21-10-2003 09:23 PM

To cover or not

Steve Harris wrote in message ...
I've prepared a plot for next year's runner beans (trenching, etc) and
am wondering what to do with it over the winter.

I could of course just leave it bare.

I looked at green manures/cover crops but the only one I could sow now
is Field Beans which doesn't seem a very good idea.

My father always used to put his compostable stuff into the trench that
he had dug, so that there was some there ready for spring. I seemed to
work well, he also lined the trench with old newspapers.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk