Old 19-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Eric the Red

Default Green masonary paint - want to tone down a garage wall.

My garage is a standalone building made from concrete slabs and occupies
part of the garden. It is currently painted white so is quite visible. I was
hoping to get a darker paint possibly green so that it blended in with the
garden more. I went to the usual DIY outlets but could not find anything
suitable. They all did the sort of thing that I wanted but for fences & shed
and assumed these would not be suitable for the garage.

Anyone else had the same problem with a garden wall. If so how did you solve
it?

Eric.

Old 19-10-2003, 07:02 PM
The Hoopeses

Eric the Red wrote:

My garage is a standalone building made from concrete slabs and occupies
part of the garden. It is currently painted white so is quite visible. I was
hoping to get a darker paint possibly green so that it blended in with the
garden more. I went to the usual DIY outlets but could not find anything
suitable. They all did the sort of thing that I wanted but for fences & shed
and assumed these would not be suitable for the garage.

Anyone else had the same problem with a garden wall. If so how did you solve
it?

Eric.

I've seen paints for concrete, but they were mainly for use on
horizontal surfaces, like patios or garage floors. At least they were
sold as suitable for those surfaces, which is not to say they couldn't
be used for a vertical one. The available colors were rather basic:
battleship grey, a very green green, or a barn red. I'm thinking if
it's only the pigment which varies, there should be nothing to keep you
from blending different colors to get something tolerable. You might
also be able to find additional hues as well.

Another possibility would be to put some kind of screen up against the
most visible side of the building, like a lattice or trellis. You could
grow something on it for the greener parts of the year. Are you having
to look at the broadest part of the garage from your usual view?

-
Al

Old 19-10-2003, 08:22 PM
David

In article , Eric the Red
writes
My garage is a standalone building made from concrete slabs and occupies
part of the garden. It is currently painted white so is quite visible. I was
hoping to get a darker paint possibly green so that it blended in with the
garden more. I went to the usual DIY outlets but could not find anything
suitable. They all did the sort of thing that I wanted but for fences & shed
and assumed these would not be suitable for the garage.

Anyone else had the same problem with a garden wall. If so how did you solve
it?

Eric.

Use a masonry paint
--
David
Old 19-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Eric the Red

I had been looking at masonary paints but the problem is the only ones I
could find where basically tinted white paints. EG Magnolia, very light
green or blue etc.

Eric

Old 19-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Eric the Red

That's not a bad idea. I can not see why I could not use a garage floor
paint on the wall. Will look to see if there is a suitable colour/shade.

It is the broadside that is most visable.

I did think of trellis and then planting some sort of climber but with the
location of the house and garage that area is almost entirely in shadeexcept
for a few hours early morning in summer. Mined you trellis on it's own would
make a difference, I think about that as well.

Eric..

Old 19-10-2003, 11:44 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Eric the Red
writes
I did think of trellis and then planting some sort of climber but with the
location of the house and garage that area is almost entirely in shadeexcept
for a few hours early morning in summer. Mined you trellis on it's own would
make a difference, I think about that as well.

You could grow a variegated ivy up it.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 20-10-2003, 12:02 PM
The Hoopeses

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Eric the Red
writes
I did think of trellis and then planting some sort of climber but with

the
location of the house and garage that area is almost entirely in

shadeexcept
for a few hours early morning in summer. Mined you trellis on it's own

would
make a difference, I think about that as well.

You could grow a variegated ivy up it.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Variegated ivy is really lovely. Another thing they seem to be using here
in Germany is what looks like Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus
quinquefolia). Back in the U.S. it's considered a weed in most parts.
Whatever this is (and I've only really seen it from a distance of several
meters), it is well-tended, and used well. In a few areas I've seen it on
walls combined with well-trimmed ivy. Now that it's autumn, it really looks
beautiful.

-
Al

Old 20-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Dave Painter

"Eric the Red" wrote in message
My garage is a standalone building made from concrete slabs and occupies
part of the garden. It is currently painted white so is quite visible. I

was
hoping to get a darker paint possibly green so that it blended in with the
garden more. I went to the usual DIY outlets but could not find anything
suitable. They all did the sort of thing that I wanted but for fences &

shed
and assumed these would not be suitable for the garage.

Anyone else had the same problem with a garden wall. If so how did you

solve
it?

Eric.

My garden wall is concrete posts with 12" gravel boards set in.
At the front it is three feet high, at the back it is six feet high. So a
huge expanse of concrete!

Concrete paint - usually used on garage floors to seal the dust in/keep oil
etc out.
I used it on the garage floor.

Masonary paint - cheaper, but usually in limited colours.
Used on the internal garage walls.

'Ronseal' waterproofing for fences etc. Can be put on with a roller. Basic
colours but works well.
Used this on the outdoor fence. Quick, easy and relatively cheap (compared
to the two previous)
'Soaked' in to the concrete.

HTH

Dave

Old 20-10-2003, 01:02 PM
martin

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:39:09 +0100, "Dave Painter"
wrote:

[...]

I have seen a wall covered in ex-WD camouflage netting to hide the
wall, whilst the ivy/virginia creeper or whatever covers it.
--
Martin
Old 20-10-2003, 04:07 PM
Victoria Clare

"Eric the Red" wrote in news:bmv11g$6bd$1$8300dec7
@news.demon.co.uk:

I had been looking at masonary paints but the problem is the only ones I
could find where basically tinted white paints. EG Magnolia, very light
green or blue etc.

I bunged in a bit of leftover dark gloss to colour mine. It's not old
enough yet for me to recommend it to you with certainty tho.

I think it'd look better if you broke it up. If it's a mass of white now,
a mass of murky green might well look worse, particularly if it is always
shady. Trellis is easy and you don't have to grow things on it.

Paint on an archway with mural of garden peeping through?

Or what about a row of formally shaped small trees in pots standing along
that wall - maybe boxes or hollies or something else shade tolerant? Can
look very stylish against a plain white wall...

Victoria

Old 20-10-2003, 04:13 PM
JennyC

"Eric the Red" wrote in message
I had been looking at masonary paints but the problem is the only

ones I
could find where basically tinted white paints. EG Magnolia, very

light
green or blue etc.

Eric

try he
http://www.blackfriar.co.uk/prod_detail.asp?prodid=7

Above URL of frame = home page =
http://www.blackfriar.co.uk/default.asp

HTH Jenny

Old 20-10-2003, 04:23 PM
controlPprint

"Eric the Red" wrote in message
My garage is a standalone building made from concrete slabs and occupies
part of the garden. It is currently painted white so is quite visible. I

was
hoping to get a darker paint possibly green so that it blended in with the
garden more. I went to the usual DIY outlets but could not find anything
suitable. They all did the sort of thing that I wanted but for fences &

shed
and assumed these would not be suitable for the garage.

Anyone else had the same problem with a garden wall. If so how did you

solve
it?

Eric.

are there any graffiti artists in your area?
they never seem to have problems with colours and spray-painting walls of
varied materials around here

controlPprint

Old 20-10-2003, 05:03 PM
martin

try http://www.allthingsmilitary.co.uk/i...opscr1698.html
--
Martin
Old 20-10-2003, 05:42 PM

"controlPprint" wrote in message
:
: "Eric the Red" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
How about a mosaic - it doesn't have to be anything fancy? Or you can get
those items that fix to the wall that are sold at garden centres. One looks
like a trellis arch and is a sort of trompe l'oeuil (sp?). I can't remember
who makes them, but perhaps someone will.

Old 20-10-2003, 07:32 PM
David

In article , Eric the Red
writes
I had been looking at masonary paints but the problem is the only ones I
could find where basically tinted white paints. EG Magnolia, very light
green or blue etc.

Eric

There are such colours around, I know because a friend of mine blends
them in his factory... can the sheds not blend a masonry paint at their
mixing stations? failing that, whereabouts in the country are you?
--
David