Old 20-10-2003, 01:02 PM
TheScullster

Default Bare Root Stock - Good or Bad?

From the Newbie of all Newbies

I am looking to plant a hedge in the near future and understand that this is
about the time to plant bare root stock type plants! Do I need to wait
longer?

Do these have a good success rate if looked after well?
Which plants are available in this form? - I am thinking of escallonia,
laurel, viburnum, pyracantha, cotoneaster (a fair mix really).

My preparation has been, or will be as follows:

Dig in muchroom compost (done)
Add pelletted chicken manure (done)
Dig smallish hole for plants and add a compost and bone meal mix (to do at
planting time)
Water in well.
Water on weekly basis if no rain.

Any comments on the above would be massively appreciated.

TIA

Phil

Old 20-10-2003, 05:03 PM
Jim W

TheScullster wrote:

From the Newbie of all Newbies

I am looking to plant a hedge in the near future and understand that this is
about the time to plant bare root stock type plants! Do I need to wait
longer?

Do these have a good success rate if looked after well?
Which plants are available in this form? - I am thinking of escallonia,
laurel, viburnum, pyracantha, cotoneaster (a fair mix really).

My preparation has been, or will be as follows:

Dig in muchroom compost (done)
Add pelletted chicken manure (done)
Dig smallish hole for plants and add a compost and bone meal mix (to do at
planting time)
Water in well.
Water on weekly basis if no rain.

Any comments on the above would be massively appreciated.

Yep thats about right, not during frosty weather, remember to firm in
well (boot heel)
http://www.hedging.co.uk/ is well worth a look, the catalogue may
help you choose your plants too. OK prices for retail as well.
//
Jim

Old 20-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Kay Easton

In article 1g34wpn.wyqsvx1lmrxh7N%00senetnospamtodayta@macun limited.net
, Jim W writes
TheScullster wrote:

From the Newbie of all Newbies

I am looking to plant a hedge in the near future and understand that this is
about the time to plant bare root stock type plants! Do I need to wait
longer?

Do these have a good success rate if looked after well?
Which plants are available in this form? - I am thinking of escallonia,
laurel, viburnum, pyracantha, cotoneaster (a fair mix really).

Laurel has big leaves that look tatty if cut through when cutting with
shears. If you want to trim with shears or hedgetrimmer rather than
secateurs, you might consider some alternative.

Pyracantha are viciously spiny, the rest are not. Non-spiny hedges are
friendlier to cut but not quite such a barrier.

If you want to add some native plants into the mix (attract more
birdlife) and don't mind spines, try a bit of holly (both male and
female required for berries), blackthorn, wild rose. You could also try
Rosa rugosa - this is the one with wrinkled leaves and big single
flowers followed by big hips which is often used for hedging.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 20-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Nick Wagg

TheScullster wrote:

Do these have a good success rate if looked after well?
Which plants are available in this form? - I am thinking of escallonia,
laurel, viburnum, pyracantha, cotoneaster (a fair mix really).

Pyracantha are viciously spiny, the rest are not. Non-spiny hedges are
friendlier to cut but not quite such a barrier.

Disposal of pyracantha cuttings can be awkward. Those vicious spines
survive composting unless shredded. The same is true if you are binning
them. Shredding large quantities is a nuisance because of the spines,
especially if the stems are old and twisted, rather than new and
straight. Of course, burning them is only a problem if you have awkward
neighbours.
--
Nick Wagg
Old 20-10-2003, 09:42 PM
David Hill

I planted up around 1000 yds of Hawthorn and Lonicera, all bare rooted, I
just stuck the spade in about 7 to 8 inches and opened up a cut , slid the
roots in and formed back with my heel.
I don't think I lost more than a dozen in all.
Get good stock, not to big.
If you cant plant as soon as you get the plants then heel them in to the
ground (Dig a hole to take the roots and a few extra inches of stem, cover
them back with the soil, this will keep the roots moist and will keep off
any frost) till you need them.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 21-10-2003, 08:32 AM
TheScullster

David

Do I need to soak the roots?
You say plant as soon as you get them! - How long will they survive before I
should "heel them in"?

Thanks

Phil

Old 21-10-2003, 09:03 AM
Jim W

TheScullster wrote:

Do I need to soak the roots?

Doesn't do any harm for an hour or so..

You say plant as soon as you get them! - How long will they survive before I
should "heel them in"?

Its not a good idea to let the roots are you out.. tyl last longer if
you keep the roots wrapped, but thye should be heeled in within 48
hours.. If you MUST store them for a day or so keep them COOL and out
of drying wind.

But better yet, make that hole and heel them in. Then you can let them
sit for a while whilst finishing prep etc.
//
Jim
Old 21-10-2003, 08:03 PM
David Hill

"....You say plant as soon as you get them! - How long will they survive
before I should "heel them in"?.."

I would do it as soon as they are unpacked unless you are going to plant
that day.
If you have several bundles of plants then heel each bundle separately then
You can just use one at the time
As for soaking, you shouldn't need to, if they are dry and your ground is
dry then heel them in and water them, that way no chance of forgetting them.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries