GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Moldy lupins - help! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/45790-moldy-lupins-help.html)

Ruth 20-10-2003 02:32 PM

Moldy lupins - help!

Hi

I am wondering whether anyone can give me any advice on moldy lupins?

The lupins are ones that I raised from seed this year ie. they are very
small plants. Unfortunately, this year I have had a real problem with
grey mould in my garden, the worst affected were my verbena bonariansis
plants, my honeysuckles and the lupins.

I am wondering what I should do with the lupins now? The options seem to
be:

- spray them with the anti-fungal that I have been using moderately
successfully on some other stuff?

- cut them right down and wait for them to grow back next year?

- did them right up and start again?!

Any advice gratefully received!

All the best

Ruth

Martin Sykes 20-10-2003 02:42 PM

Moldy lupins - help!

"Ruth" wrote in message
Hi

I am wondering whether anyone can give me any advice on moldy lupins?

The lupins are ones that I raised from seed this year ie. they are very
small plants. Unfortunately, this year I have had a real problem with
grey mould in my garden, the worst affected were my verbena bonariansis
plants, my honeysuckles and the lupins.

I am wondering what I should do with the lupins now? The options seem to
be:

- spray them with the anti-fungal that I have been using moderately
successfully on some other stuff?

- cut them right down and wait for them to grow back next year?

- did them right up and start again?!

Any advice gratefully received!

All the best

Ruth

You should cut them right down and they'll grow again next year. Everything
gets a bit mouldy once it gets cold and damp so don't worry about it too
much. I also get it on my honeysuckle but I'm surprised the verbena got it.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Ruth 20-10-2003 04:23 PM

Moldy lupins - help!

Hi Martin

Thanks for the advice.....yes, it's quite odd as the mold problem
actually started in the summer during the very hot period. I assumed
that mold could be a problem during a warm humid summer but not in the
heat that we got this year. I was careful to water from the bottom and
not to get water all over the foliage but even so, the mold persisted.

Ruth

Steve Harris 21-10-2003 02:04 PM

Moldy lupins - help!

In article ,
(Ruth) wrote:

yes, it's quite odd as the mold problem
actually started in the summer during the very hot period. I assumed
that mold could be a problem during a warm humid summe

Some mould problems are due to the roots being too dry more than
anything.

Ruth 23-10-2003 10:02 AM

Moldy lupins - help!

Aha - OK, that might explain it then...