Old 25-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Malcolm Ogilvie

Default Getting rid of ground elder

In article , martin
writes
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:05:22 +0100, Malcolm Ogilvie
wrote:

In article , martin
writes
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:23:44 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , martin
writes

If you google search hard enough and long enough you will find a DEFRA
.pdf file AFAIR that explains what action and against whom is to be
taken against those growing Giant Hog weed. In the case of private
individuals growing it, who refuse to remove it, a civil action may be
taken against them by the local authority.

That is if they are allowing it to be released into the wild.

No!

Yes!

Please read the Act and the commentary again:

Here is the Act:

"Section 14(2)
It is an offence for a person to plant or otherwise cause to grow
in the wild any plant on Schedule 9 (Part 2)"

I think the problem is that the plant part was tacked onto an animal
act. Releasing into the wild has a clear meaning with animals and a
not so clear meaning with plants.

Does that mean you agree with me???

Can you give me the links to the whole act and it's various
amendments.

You gave the links yourself. Just click on 'Contents' at the foot of the
page. That's by far the most accessible version with its commentaries.

Or if you want to read the whole Act, as published, you can find it on:

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/

Do many people cultivate hog weed in Uk gardens?

If you mean *giant* hogweed, I know at least two, both of whom like it
for its grandeur and looks, but are careful (a) not to touch it without
gloves and (b) let it escape.

--
Malcolm Ogilvie
Old 25-10-2003, 02:03 PM
martin

wrote:

[...]

that the law is unclear? yes :-)

from the site that listed prosecutions under that act, it's clear
anybody growing it, isn't likely to be prosecuted, unless as a test
case. :-)

Can you give me the links to the whole act and it's various
amendments.

You gave the links yourself.

I think bits of some of them.

Just click on 'Contents' at the foot of the
page. That's by far the most accessible version with its commentaries.

I couldn't find all the amendments.

Or if you want to read the whole Act, as published, you can find it on:

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/

I see we haven't made the top 5 most requested acts ... yet :-)

Do many people cultivate hog weed in Uk gardens?

If you mean *giant* hogweed, I know at least two, both of whom like it
for its grandeur and looks, but are careful (a) not to touch it without
gloves and (b) let it escape.

Having read all the stuff about the unintentional spread of GM
plants, and seen giant hog weed growing along miles of grass verges,
how can you be careful not to let it escape? Why does it appear some
years and not others?

--
Martin
Old 25-10-2003, 02:03 PM
Mike Tickle

You can actually kill it off by repeated strimming for an entire season

I hard a similar approach for any hard to get rid of weeds. Sow grass seed
and mow every week in the growing season keeping it really short.
Apparently this causes the weeds to use up the energy stored in the roots
faster than the leaves can generate it. Eventually (a season or two) they
die. Then you can lift the turf (green manure?) and do what you like with
the plot.

Personally I am too impatient - I want to plant veggies in the spring. I am
digging the garden and getting out all the roots I can (nettles, couch
grass, brambles, some thing with red roots/tubers) and if necessary I will
treat with Glyphosate in the spring.

Mike

Old 25-10-2003, 02:12 PM
martin

wrote:

In article , martin
writes

If you google search hard enough and long enough you will find a DEFRA
.pdf file AFAIR that explains what action and against whom is to be
taken against those growing Giant Hog weed. In the case of private
individuals growing it, who refuse to remove it, a civil action may be
taken against them by the local authority.

That is if they are allowing it to be released into the wild.

No!

I beg your pardon, but yes. From the DEFRA site:

'4. Under section 14 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, it can be
an
offence to plant or grow certain specified plants in the wild (see
Schedule
9 of
the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981), including Giant Hogweed and
Japanese Knotweed. Problems involving these plants can be referred to
the
local authority for the area where those weeds are growing as some local
authorities have by-laws controlling these plants. There is no statutory
requirement for landowners to remove these plants from their property.
Further information about non-native weeds species can be obtained from
Defra’s European Wildlife Division at Bristol (Tel: 0117 372 6154)'

In case you missed it: THERE IS NO STATUTORY REQUIREMENT FOR LANDOWNERS
TO REMOVE THESE PLANTS FROM THEIR PROPERTY

except...
"local authority for the area where those weeds are growing as some
local authorities have by-laws controlling these plants"

It says somewhere that local authorities can start a civil action to
make you remove them. I assume that is when there is a local by-law."
--
Martin
Old 25-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Malcolm Ogilvie contains these words:

Thus if you take the Act and the Commentary together, they state that
the offence is "to plant or otherwise cause to grow *in the wild* any
plant on Schedule 9, part 2". It is *not* an offence to have those
plants in your garden. You must, though, prevent them escaping into the
wild, something which does not apply to any other non-native plant
though it does apply to all non-native animals.

So, having eaten raw tomatoes you have to be careful where you get taken
short?

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 25-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Malcolm Ogilvie

In article , martin
writes

wrote:

[...]

LOL! Well, it's clear to me, and to Kay, but I agree that you've had
some problems with it :-)

from the site that listed prosecutions under that act, it's clear
anybody growing it, isn't likely to be prosecuted, unless as a test
case. :-)

Surely so, but I hope you accept that someone growing it in their garden
won't be prosecuted because they're not breaking any law.

Can you give me the links to the whole act and it's various
amendments.

You gave the links yourself.

I think bits of some of them.

Just click on 'Contents' at the foot of the
page. That's by far the most accessible version with its commentaries.

I couldn't find all the amendments.

They should be on the Defra PAW site somewhere.

Or if you want to read the whole Act, as published, you can find it on:

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/

I see we haven't made the top 5 most requested acts ... yet :-)

See how many times you can click on it :-)

Do many people cultivate hog weed in Uk gardens?

If you mean *giant* hogweed, I know at least two, both of whom like it
for its grandeur and looks, but are careful (a) not to touch it without
gloves and (b) let it escape.

Having read all the stuff about the unintentional spread of GM
plants, and seen giant hog weed growing along miles of grass verges,
how can you be careful not to let it escape? Why does it appear some
years and not others?

I guess that will depend on whether it is growing as an annual, biennial
or perennial, as I gather it may be able to grow as any of those, plus
what seed set there was the previous autumn.

Perhaps the GM scientists can produce a variety which doesn't cause
allergic reactions to human skin :-)

--
Malcolm Ogilvie

Old 25-10-2003, 04:13 PM
martin

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:48:16 +0100, Malcolm Ogilvie
wrote:

Perhaps the GM scientists can produce a variety which doesn't cause
allergic reactions to human skin :-)

The Triffid variety? :-)
--
Martin
Old 25-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Malcolm Ogilvie

In article , Jaques d'Altrades
writes
The message
from Malcolm Ogilvie contains these words:

Thus if you take the Act and the Commentary together, they state that
the offence is "to plant or otherwise cause to grow *in the wild* any
plant on Schedule 9, part 2". It is *not* an offence to have those
plants in your garden. You must, though, prevent them escaping into the
wild, something which does not apply to any other non-native plant
though it does apply to all non-native animals.

So, having eaten raw tomatoes you have to be careful where you get taken
short?

No, because tomatoes are not listed on Schedule 9, part 2.

When I were a lad I used to birdwatch on an old-fashioned sewage farm,
one where the sludge was spread on fields to fertilise crops. Tomatoes
used to sprout in some abundance around the sludge tanks, making a
welcome addition to my lunch sandwiches :-)

--
Malcolm Ogilvie
Old 25-10-2003, 04:33 PM
martin

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:07:56 +0100, Malcolm Ogilvie
wrote:

In article , Jaques d'Altrades
writes
The message
from Malcolm Ogilvie contains these words:

Thus if you take the Act and the Commentary together, they state that
the offence is "to plant or otherwise cause to grow *in the wild* any
plant on Schedule 9, part 2". It is *not* an offence to have those
plants in your garden. You must, though, prevent them escaping into the
wild, something which does not apply to any other non-native plant
though it does apply to all non-native animals.

So, having eaten raw tomatoes you have to be careful where you get taken
short?

No, because tomatoes are not listed on Schedule 9, part 2.

but careful not to receive a blistering attack, when using giant hog
weed for cover.

When I were a lad I used to birdwatch on an old-fashioned sewage farm,
one where the sludge was spread on fields to fertilise crops. Tomatoes
used to sprout in some abundance around the sludge tanks, making a
welcome addition to my lunch sandwiches :-)

We had to make do with Hovis and dripping sandwiches, wrapped in Page
3 to keep them warm.
--
Martin

Old 25-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Mike Tickle" contains these words:

some thing with red roots/tubers

Probably a willowherb of some description.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 25-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from martin contains these words:

Having read all the stuff about the unintentional spread of GM
plants, and seen giant hog weed growing along miles of grass verges,
how can you be careful not to let it escape?

Cutting off flower heads to prevent seeding would prevent any escape
from a garden planting.

Whereabouts have you seen heracleum mantegazzanium growing along miles
of grass verges?

Janet
Old 25-10-2003, 06:02 PM
martin

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:02:07 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

Having read all the stuff about the unintentional spread of GM
plants, and seen giant hog weed growing along miles of grass verges,
how can you be careful not to let it escape?

Cutting off flower heads to prevent seeding would prevent any escape
from a garden planting.

Whereabouts have you seen heracleum mantegazzanium growing along miles
of grass verges?

In the Netherlands.
--
Martin
Old 25-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

When I were a lad I used to birdwatch on an old-fashioned sewage farm,
one where the sludge was spread on fields to fertilise crops. Tomatoes
used to sprout in some abundance around the sludge tanks, making a
welcome addition to my lunch sandwiches :-)

We had to make do with Hovis and dripping sandwiches, wrapped in Page
3 to keep them warm.

Luxury. Tha had dripping? Why, t'only dripping us had while childhood
were through top of t'box us family lived in.

--
Alfred Tripebucket
Old 25-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , martin
writes
Having read all the stuff about the unintentional spread of GM
plants, and seen giant hog weed growing along miles of grass verges,
how can you be careful not to let it escape?

Make sure it doesn't set seed.

Why does it appear some
years and not others?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

How deep can ground elder survive? Roderick Orr-Ewing United Kingdom 18 02-04-2004 02:25 PM
Weeds (was Getting rid of ground elder) Victoria Clare United Kingdom 6 24-10-2003 12:22 AM
Help! Ground Elder Mike H United Kingdom 3 12-07-2003 02:32 PM
Help! Ground Elder Mike H Gardening 2 12-07-2003 09:32 AM
Ground elder & plants to grow with it Annabel United Kingdom 20 07-04-2003 04:33 PM