Old 26-10-2003, 03:02 PM
martin

Default Getting rid of ground elder

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 09:01:15 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:02:07 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Whereabouts have you seen heracleum mantegazzanium growing along miles
of grass verges?

In the Netherlands.

Are you sure you haven't confused it with robust examples of other
hogweeds? They can grow 6ft tall or so, but hm is HUGE. If you mean
grass verges on roadsides, I would have thought that hm growing on them
would reach well out into the roadway and brush pedestrians or cyclists
with awful results.

There is no pavement or cycle path on the side of the road where the
giant hog weed was.

It was reported in the local newspaper
--
Martin

Old 26-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:
"martin" wrote in message
.. .

Having read all the stuff about the unintentional spread of GM
plants, and seen giant hog weed growing along miles of grass verges,
how can you be careful not to let it escape? Why does it appear some
years and not others?

I have sincere doubts if you have ever "seen giant hogweed growing along
miles of grass verges".

He may well have done - I can't tell you what he has been smoking :-)

To martin:

The reason that you won't have done is that it is not a weed of GRASS
verges. Most conditions that will cause a cover of grass are not what
it likes and, if it does grow well, it will kill the grass. You may
well have seen it along miles of VERGES, but an inspection of them
will show either relatively little giant hogweed or relatively little
grass underneath it. The same applies to many other weeds, incidentally.

You can prevent it escaping only by preventing it from setting seed;
cutting it down once or twice a year without fail will do that. If
it appears in a place some years and not others, I suspect that it is
NOT giant hogweed (which is a perennial), but one of the umbellifers
that can be mistaken for it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 26-10-2003, 03:02 PM
martin

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 00:22:22 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

We had to make do with Hovis and dripping sandwiches, wrapped in Page
3 to keep them warm.

Luxury. Tha had dripping? Why, t'only dripping us had while childhood
were through top of t'box us family lived in.

box? we lived in t' gutter.

Luxury! They swept us family out of t'gutter and dumped us in t'box,
'appen. They kept us there while Christmas suspended over t'river like
some magician.

Christmas? There were no Christmas in t' mill
--
Martin
Old 26-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:19:00 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .

[snip]

Having read all the stuff about the unintentional spread of GM
plants, and seen giant hog weed growing along miles of grass verges,
how can you be careful not to let it escape? Why does it appear some
years and not others?

I have sincere doubts if you have ever "seen giant hogweed growing along
miles of grass verges".

because?

Because it sounds highly unlikely to me.
I have, since I made my original remark, seen you say that you see the
phenomenon in Holland. I still have my doubts whether there is such a vast
infestation of giant hogweed in Holland.

I have a suspicion that you are talking about Hogweed (Heracleum
sphondylium) and not Giant Hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum. The former
grows to 3 metres and the latter grows to 5 metres according to my book. I
am also now pretty certain that the weed in my garden, which I earlier
referred to as "Giant Hogweed" is in fact sinply "Hogweed".

Franz

Franz

Old 26-10-2003, 03:04 PM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:19:00 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .

[snip]

[...]

How deep can ground elder survive? Roderick Orr-Ewing United Kingdom 18 02-04-2004 02:25 PM
Weeds (was Getting rid of ground elder) Victoria Clare United Kingdom 6 24-10-2003 12:22 AM
Help! Ground Elder Mike H United Kingdom 3 12-07-2003 02:32 PM
Help! Ground Elder Mike H Gardening 2 12-07-2003 09:32 AM
Ground elder & plants to grow with it Annabel United Kingdom 20 07-04-2003 04:33 PM