Old 23-10-2003, 04:32 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Weeds (was Getting rid of ground elder)

"Franz Heymann" wrote in
:

The weed that bugs me more than anything else is that dratted small
Epilobium (is it Epilobium montanum?) Seems like every single damn
seed germinates! and the stems pull off just above the roots, so you
have to make sure you don't just pull the top off.

More of a nuisance to me than ground elder, bindweed and brambles
combined (OK, well maybe not the brambles...)

Yes. That one is a real little *******, if you will excuse my
language. It gets into all the most impossible crooks and nannies and
is the most prolific seeder in my garden and grows with the speed of
light. It is helped along by the fact that one of my neighbours has a
paddock which he seems to use specifically for cultivating E montanum

It's got into my greenhouse! I don't think I shall ever get it out again.

I wonder why this weed (Epilobium) is so rarely mentioned in the usual
gardeners tale of woe? Does it even have a common name?

The other one I find a real pain I can't even remember the latin name of -
like a sort of weedy geum with tiny yellow flowers and knobbly reddish
roots that work into every crevice.

I call it 'that thing'. It knows what I mean.

Give me dandelions any day: my rabbit assistants soon reduce the roots to
useful compost...

Victoria
Old 23-10-2003, 05:12 PM
jane

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:28:57 +0100, Victoria Clare
wrote:

~"Franz Heymann" wrote in
:
~
[...]

I know it as a willowherb. But yes it is a darned nuisance. It's in my
crocosmia/allium bed so I can't really go digging to get it (and it's
friend the bindweed) out again.

~The other one I find a real pain I can't even remember the latin name of -
~like a sort of weedy geum with tiny yellow flowers and knobbly reddish
~roots that work into every crevice.
~
~I call it 'that thing'. It knows what I mean.

My favourite hate I called strawberry stuff (or worse) till one day
my memory woke up and told me it was creeping cinquefoil (potentilla
reptans). That too has yellow flowers and runs everywhere... and the
roots regenerate too. Sounds like it could be your geum-like plant.

I'm also not terribly fond of hairy bittercress, especially when it
gets in the lawn.

~
~Give me dandelions any day: my rabbit assistants soon reduce the roots to
~useful compost...

pass the spade...

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 23-10-2003, 07:23 PM
jane

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:27:47 +0100, Victoria Clare
wrote:

(jane) wrote in
:
~
~ ~The other one I find a real pain I can't even remember the latin name
~ of - ~like a sort of weedy geum with tiny yellow flowers and knobbly
~ reddish ~roots that work into every crevice.
~ ~
~ ~I call it 'that thing'. It knows what I mean.
~
~ My favourite hate I called strawberry stuff (or worse) till one day
~ my memory woke up and told me it was creeping cinquefoil (potentilla
~ reptans). That too has yellow flowers and runs everywhere... and the
~ roots regenerate too. Sounds like it could be your geum-like plant.
~
~Nope, creeping cinquefoil is a pretty little thing with real flowers and
~delicate leaves. I rather like it (but then, I'm not overrun with it: I
~think it likes more sun than we get here)

Hmm I have a serious hatred of it since trying to clear an orchard of it.
Roots go down way too far and are very fragile - and bingo, three more
plants....

~'That thing' has blobby hairy leaves, long wiry stems, and manky little
~flowers with tiny petals.
~
~(pauses to rummage on Google for something similar)
~
~It is a geum! Geum urbanum or Herb bennet, apparently. Here it is trying
~to look inoffensive and wildflowerlike:
~
~http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/pictu...um-urbanum.htm
~
~Hah, it doesn't look like that when it's wedged its roots into a 1cm square
~gap in the paving and they...won't...come...OUT!

oh! THAT thing! The one with the thrice damned burrs... I have those
everywhere and yes, I know just what you mean. A right new statesman of a
plant. Especially when you try and get said burrs off you. Or the cat.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 23-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message . 12
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

E montanum

It's got into my greenhouse! I don't think I shall ever get it out again.

I wonder why this weed (Epilobium) is so rarely mentioned in the usual
gardeners tale of woe? Does it even have a common name?

Broad-leaved willow herb.

The other one I find a real pain I can't even remember the latin name of -
like a sort of weedy geum with tiny yellow flowers and knobbly reddish
roots that work into every crevice.

I call it 'that thing'. It knows what I mean.

Probably Potentilla reptans - creeping cinquefoil, or maybe, and just as
worse, yellow sorrel. Oxalis corniculata.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 23-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Franz Heymann

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.12...

[snip]

I wonder why this weed (Epilobium) is so rarely mentioned in the usual
gardeners tale of woe? Does it even have a common name?

There are many Epilobiums, mostly with common names like
Willowherb-something or Something-willowherb
The one being discussed, E montanum, is sometimes called "Broadleaved
Willowherb"

[snip]

Franz

Old 24-10-2003, 01:22 AM
Victoria Clare

Jaques d'Altrades wrote in
:

I call it 'that thing'. It knows what I mean.

Probably Potentilla reptans - creeping cinquefoil, or maybe, and just as
worse, yellow sorrel. Oxalis corniculata.

No, see post above. Geum urbanum. I'd hope I can tell a geum from an
oxalis at least!

I do also have oxalis corniwhatsit, but it's really not a problem plant
here. No potentillas at all, not even decorative ones - it's too wet for
'em I think. This river valley soaks everything in rising fog from the
bottom up, when we aren't stuck in a cloud that's floated in from the sea
and hasn't noticed the land has got taller...

I haven't mentioned the liverworts and ferns that sprout everywhere, but I
can't really complain of those: I do love ferns and they also make great
compost/mulch.

Victoria (currently in a cloud)
--
gardening on a north-facing hill