Old 28-10-2003, 02:12 PM

Default Poppies

Any advice please on when I should sow poppy seeds,what type of soil do they
prefer?

Fenton O'Shea

---

Old 28-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Ron Clark

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:02:51 -0000, Fenton@O'Shea wrote:

Any advice please on when I should sow poppy seeds,what type of soil do they
prefer?

Afghanistan soil

HTH

--
®óñ© © ²°°³
Old 28-10-2003, 05:02 PM
JennyC

Fenton@O'Shea wrote in message
Any advice please on when I should sow poppy seeds,what type of soil do they
prefer?
Fenton O'Shea

Poppies should be planted where you want them to grow in the spring. They are
not fussy about soil type and proably do better on poor soil than rich :~)

More info at: http://hortparadise.unl.edu/newsrele...ws/poppyII.htm

Jenny

Old 28-10-2003, 05:32 PM
martin

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:59:52 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

Fenton@O'Shea wrote in message
Any advice please on when I should sow poppy seeds,what type of soil do they
prefer?
Fenton O'Shea

Poppies should be planted where you want them to grow in the spring. They are
not fussy about soil type and proably do better on poor soil than rich :~)

More info at: http://hortparadise.unl.edu/newsrele...ws/poppyII.htm

Talking of maanzaad, the local warmbakker has been adding hennep to
his brood

http://www.leidschdagblad.nl/Index
Oegstgeester bakker bakt hennepbrood
OEGSTGEEST - 'Gewaagd', noemt bakker Leonard Mark zijn nieuwste
broodsoort. Sinds een week bakt hij hennepbrood. Afgelopen zaterdag
gingen daarvan 80 stuks over de toonbank bij bakkerij Hugo de Groot in
Oegstgeest. Vooral oudere klanten gaan voor het sneetje hennep met
kaas. ,,Maar ik heb ze nog niet voor acht uur 's morgens op de deurmat
zien liggen omdat ze in een paar dagen verslaafd zijn geraakt. Dat zou
helemaal een stunt zijn.''
--
Martin
Old 28-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"Ron Clark" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:02:51 -0000, Fenton@O'Shea wrote:

Any advice please on when I should sow poppy seeds,what type of soil do

they
prefer?

I have always wondered what it is that makes one particular species of poppy
produce that very expensive resin. Has anybody experimented with any of the
common or garden species/varieties to find out if they might actually be
worth their weight in gold?

Franz

Old 28-10-2003, 07:22 PM
jane

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:02:12 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

~
~"Ron Clark" wrote in message
.. .
~ On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:02:51 -0000, Fenton@O'Shea wrote:
~
~ Any advice please on when I should sow poppy seeds,what type of soil do
~they
~ prefer?
~
~I have always wondered what it is that makes one particular species of poppy
~produce that very expensive resin. Has anybody experimented with any of the
~common or garden species/varieties to find out if they might actually be
~worth their weight in gold?
~
~Franz
~
~
I think it's temperature dependent.
I read somewhere earlier this summer that normal British temperatures
aren't hot enough for poppies to produce anything dangerous.
Might even have been on here!!

Don't know if this is correct, but I'd be fascinated to find out. I
passed thousands on the southbound M1 verge near Northampton in early
summer. Very pretty they were!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 28-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Ron Clark" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:02:51 -0000, Fenton@O'Shea wrote:

Any advice please on when I should sow poppy seeds,what type of soil do

they
prefer?

I have always wondered what it is that makes one particular species of poppy
produce that very expensive resin. Has anybody experimented with any of the
common or garden species/varieties to find out if they might actually be
worth their weight in gold?

P nudicaule 'contains some opium ...used locally to relieve pain'
(Usher: A Dictionary of plants used by man)

I imagine some of the others do too, but maybe in lesser amounts/not so
easily extractable?

But there again - why do we drink Camellia sinensis, but not C japonica
or C drupifera?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 28-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"jane" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:02:12 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

~
~"Ron Clark" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Yes. And think of the vast amounts of wealth which is probably going to
waste in the Vale of York.

Franz

Old 28-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Ron Clark" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

If, as you say, P. nudicaule contains some opium, which of us is boing to
have a look to see if it is there in commercially viable quantities?

Franz

Old 29-10-2003, 08:03 AM
JennyC

"Franz Heymann" wrote
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:02:51 -0000, Fenton@O'Shea wrote:

Any advice please on when I should sow poppy seeds,what type of soil

do they prefer?

If, as you say, P. nudicaule contains some opium, which of us is boing to
have a look to see if it is there in commercially viable quantities?
Franz

http://www.opiates.net/ :~))
Jenny

Old 29-10-2003, 09:33 AM
Mark Fawcett

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
snip I have always wondered what it is that makes one particular
species of
poppy
produce that very expensive resin. Has anybody experimented with any of

the
common or garden species/varieties to find out if they might actually be
worth their weight in gold?

P nudicaule 'contains some opium ...used locally to relieve pain'
(Usher: A Dictionary of plants used by man)

I imagine some of the others do too, but maybe in lesser amounts/not so
easily extractable?

But there again - why do we drink Camellia sinensis, but not C japonica
or C drupifera?

If, as you say, P. nudicaule contains some opium, which of us is boing to
have a look to see if it is there in commercially viable quantities?

Franz

Some 25 yrs ago I new a bunch of people who would regularily collect
the seed heads, put them into a teapot and pour boiling water over
them. They would drink the resulting concoction and get extremly
stoned and then sleep for a long time. They kept on doing it so I
presume it was enjoyable enough.
As to whether it could be commercially viable, I would think that the
cost of paying people even a minimum wage in this country to cut the
seed heads and then collect the dried resin would make it unlikly you
could compete with pay rates in Afganistan. Unless of course you could
mechanise it in which case Franz, you could become the Opium drug lord
of Yorkshire !-)
Old 29-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mark Fawcett" wrote in message
om...
[...]

My understanding of the trade is that the poppy farmers get very little and
that the price is hoiked by the various middlemen through which the product
goes.

Old 29-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:02:51 -0000, Fenton@O'Shea wrote:

Any advice please on when I should sow poppy seeds,what type of

soil
do they prefer?

If, as you say, P. nudicaule contains some opium, which of us is boing

have a look to see if it is there in commercially viable quantities?
Franz

http://www.opiates.net/ :~))

What an interesting URL. It will need reading at leisure.

Franz

Old 30-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Druss

"JennyC" wrote in message

Fenton@O'Shea wrote in message
Any advice please on when I should sow poppy seeds,what type of soil do

they
prefer?
Fenton O'Shea

Poppies should be planted where you want them to grow in the spring. They

are
not fussy about soil type and proably do better on poor soil than rich :~)

More info at: http://hortparadise.unl.edu/newsrele...ws/poppyII.htm

Jenny

Sow them now as well, since they tend to do better after a couple of frosts,
or at least after a period of cold weather. Let's face it now is when the
plants would sow them !
Duncan

Old 19-03-2004, 03:16 AM
martin

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:42:46 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

"Franz Heymann" wrote
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:02:51 -0000, Fenton@O'Shea wrote:

Any advice please on when I should sow poppy seeds,what type of soil

do they prefer?

If, as you say, P. nudicaule contains some opium, which of us is boing to
have a look to see if it is there in commercially viable quantities?
Franz

http://www.opiates.net/ :~))

BOING! next question :-)
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Yellow & Orange Poppies Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:47 AM
Californian Poppies JennyC United Kingdom 2 12-10-2003 06:42 PM
Blue Poppies & Moss Nancy Gardening 0 04-05-2003 06:08 PM
good companion for poppies? Penny S. Gardening 5 10-04-2003 05:08 AM
Poppies from Seed Newbie Gardener United Kingdom 17 08-03-2003 05:44 AM