Old 30-10-2003, 05:23 PM
Kay Easton

Default Glass mulch

In article , martin
writes
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:16:39 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

3) you may be wrong ;-)

It's still interesting to hear Franz's opinion.

I place the OP's feelings as having higher importance than your
interest.

Just as I would not approve of an uncalled for insult to you, no matter
how interestingly it was phrased.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 30-10-2003, 05:23 PM
Sacha

Sacha wrote in
:

Kay what is happening to urg these days, I rarely post now and also I
hardly ever read the postings as I would have to scroll down too
much. Has urg changed or is it me getting older and less tolerant?

Well if it is, then I'm right alongside you in the bath chair,
whacking legs with a cane. I can't believe how much garbage I have to
delete.

G'wan. Surely urg has always been full of waffle at certain times of the
year?

snip

I honestly don't think it's ever been as bad or as boring as this, Victoria.
we've had the odd 'moment', it's true but the number of people on this group
that you wouldn't want to meet on a bus seems to have quadrupled lately.
I'm sad to say that I, personally, know of two valuable posters who have
left because it just became so ridiculous and frankly, boring. I know that
my own enthusiasm has waned to almost zero. The silly, facile, one line
'cracks' which presumably someone thinks are funny or clever, the ability to
argue endlessly over the meaning of a word, a line, a top post. It's beyond
tedious. And it's a really great big shame - this group has so much going
for it, so much to offer - but give enough idiots enough rope and they're
wrecking it.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Judith Lea
writes

Kay what is happening to urg these days, I rarely post now and also I
hardly ever read the postings as I would have to scroll down too much.
Has urg changed or is it me getting older and less tolerant?

It has its moments. Usually it's OK. Sometimes a couple of people rub
each other up the wrong way. I don't think it's any worse. But there's a
lot more people on the net nowadays, and a lot of the new ones aren't
interested in the conventions that have built up over the years, and of
course that's going to cause trouble, especially those people who still
flout conventions even when asked not to.

There were quite a few unpleasantnesses in the past. Nobody's shouting
'clique' nowadays, are they (it may just be I've KF'ed all the right
people ;-) )

Maybe if you posted a bit more, we'd all be nicer ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 30-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message
from Anne Jackson contains these words:

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these
words:

Yup. I make a vast number of mistakes.

So do I! I let you out of my killfile, for you!

Dunno what happened there! That should have read "for a start"!

I won't make that bloody mistake again!!

That is just the kind of mistake I, too, make frequently.

Franz

Old 30-10-2003, 05:42 PM

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "keith" wrote in message
: ...
: Franz,
: buy the way it is the way you advise someone,with ignorance!!
: example, your comment- How very perfectly awfully kitsch and tasteless.
: (that was helpful)
: you could have said- glass mulch not really my taste, but you could try
: google search.
: see the difference!
:
: But the OP's taste was kitsch and perfectly awful. Why should I
prevaricate
: about it?

Only in your opinion and that doesn't appear to be worth much.
:
: And don't top post. It betraysa your bad manners.

And it's not bad manners to tell people their taste is "kitsch and perfectly
awful"?

People were top-posting on this ng long before you graced it with your
presence and will probably do so long after you have left it. If you don't
like the heat get out of the kitchen.

:
: Franz
:
:
: "bigboard" wrote in message
: ...
: Franz Heymann wrote:
:
: I don't refrain from telling people when they have appalling taste.
: also
: don't mind if people do the same to me.
:
: You have appalling taste.
:
:
:
:
:

Old 30-10-2003, 06:02 PM

"Sacha" wrote in message
:
:
: Sacha wrote in
: :
:
[...]
: --
: Sacha
: www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
: South Devon
: (remove the 'x' to email me)
:
That reminds me, what has become of a certain gentleman from the armed
forces who used to advertise regularly on this group?
It's all gone very quiet in that quarter - unless he's been reincarnated?

Old 30-10-2003, 06:02 PM
keith

no i was just trying it out now i know!
keith
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"keith" wrote in message
is that what you call a top post,opps!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. You managed to top post. Does it make you happy?

Franz

th" wrote in message
Hello
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"keith" wrote in message
Franz , everyone to the own!!!!!!!

Of course. Even if it is in fact tasteless.

I probably wouldn't like anything you like
or own. life would be boring if I everyone did.How come ,mostly
everytime
you respond to a post,you are negative or of no help whatsoever!!!

have
you
got a hang-up on life or do you think you own the newsgroup,give
everyone
chance & don't judge others tastes!!!!!

You should read what I write more frequently.

Franz

Old 30-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"K" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "keith" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Of course it is bad manners. I have never once laid claim to possessing
good manners.
I happen never to mince words.
Please killfile me if you don't like what I am saying, instead of conducting
a semi-infinte rant about it.

People were top-posting on this ng long before you graced it with your
presence and will probably do so long after you have left it. If you

don't
like the heat get out of the kitchen.

It is good netiquette, and it preserves the integrity of a thread, to post
in line. Will you never understand that?

[snip]

Franz

Old 30-10-2003, 06:02 PM
keith

is this a record for the longest thread! can I ask what is OP,URG without
getting slaughtered by Franz .
thanks keith
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"bigboard" wrote in message
Franz Heymann wrote:

I don't refrain from telling people when they have appalling taste. I

also
don't mind if people do the same to me.

You have appalling taste.

That is a possibility which I accept with grace.

Franz.

Old 30-10-2003, 06:12 PM
martin

wrote:

3) you may be wrong ;-)

It's still interesting to hear Franz's opinion.

I place the OP's feelings as having higher importance than your
interest.

So Franz should just agree and say how nice etc.?
Real life isn't like that.

Just as I would not approve of an uncalled for insult to you, no matter
how interestingly it was phrased.

I'd rather that somebody said what he honestly thought.
--
Martin
Old 30-10-2003, 07:02 PM

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
:
: "K" wrote in message
: ...
:
SNIP
: : But the OP's taste was kitsch and perfectly awful. Why should I
: prevaricate
: : about it?
:
: Only in your opinion and that doesn't appear to be worth much.
: :
: : And don't top post. It betraysa your bad manners.
:
: And it's not bad manners to tell people their taste is "kitsch and
: perfectly
: awful"?
:
: Of course it is bad manners. I have never once laid claim to possessing
: good manners.
: I happen never to mince words.
: Please killfile me if you don't like what I am saying, instead of
conducting
: a semi-infinte rant about it.

Who started it?
:
: People were top-posting on this ng long before you graced it with your
: presence and will probably do so long after you have left it. If you
: don't
: like the heat get out of the kitchen.
:
: It is good netiquette, and it preserves the integrity of a thread, to post
: in line. Will you never understand that?

If you had read an earlier post of mine you would have noted that I said I
do not top post, but I also feel life is far too short to spend time
worrying about those who do. Nor would I feel it my place to dictate to
others how they should post. As someone else said watch your blood pressure
:O)

:
: [snip]
:
: Franz
:
:
:

Old 30-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Kay Easton

In article , martin
writes

wrote:

3) you may be wrong ;-)

It's still interesting to hear Franz's opinion.

I place the OP's feelings as having higher importance than your
interest.

So Franz should just agree and say how nice etc.?

No. He has no need to say anything. He wasn't being asked his opinion.
But if he does want to give his opinion he can say it's not to his
taste, or what he feels about it, without condemning the taste of the
OP.

Real life isn't like that.

Is it not? No-one has ever told me to my face that I have bad taste. Or
that I have no fashion sense, or that I need a new hairstyle, or a
myriad other things that I am sure are probably true. I think it's known
as good manners.

Just as I would not approve of an uncalled for insult to you, no matter
how interestingly it was phrased.

I'd rather that somebody said what he honestly thought.

When you'd asked what they thought, maybe .. but if you were to ask me,
for example, where you could buy insert some garden ornament in poor
taste, do you really want to hear my opinions of your abilities in
garden design, good taste, or whatever?

And while you may be confident enough to stand by your own opinions in
the face of criticism, not everyone is. It is difficult in usenet to
know how people feel, especially on a first posting, and they may be
deeply upset by what you regard as honest opinion. In RL, you have some
chance to judge this, and you get instant feedback on the effect of your
remarks, and can do something to mitigate the damage.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 30-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Kay Easton

In article . 10,
Victoria Clare writes
Sacha wrote in news:BBC6F8E1.C7F2%
:

And it's a really great big shame - this group has so much going
for it, so much to offer - but give enough idiots enough rope and they're
wrecking it.

You are right.

I am resolved to post more topically, and with lots of nice plant-specific
information/questions. Perhaps the waffle can be flooded out.

Oh dear! I'd better shut up, and stop my current arguments ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: