Old 29-10-2003, 03:42 PM
John Towill

Default Leaves, leaves and yet more leaves!

The task, that seems never ending is underway, collecting and bagging
leaves. How about GMing trees so that they all drop their leaves in one
night, say the night the clocks alter! Only joking, we don't want to reopen
that can of worms. ;-)
Though they are a lot of work I have not needed to buy compost for my pots
for the last 2 years.
A couple of serious related questions. I blow the leaves into piles then
vacuum them up so they are nicely chopped up to help composting. Two
problems, first the vibration gives me hand discomfort, anyone know where
padded gloves may be obtained to help overcome this?
Secondly it is a petrol device, and I would like to get hold of a good
litres petrol can with pouring tube, all I can get are naff plastic ones
which leak petrol when using.
TIA
John T

Old 29-10-2003, 04:14 PM
Nick Gray

A couple of serious related questions. I blow the leaves into piles then
vacuum them up so they are nicely chopped up to help composting. Two
problems, first the vibration gives me hand discomfort, anyone know where
padded gloves may be obtained to help overcome this?
Secondly it is a petrol device, and I would like to get hold of a good
litres petrol can with pouring tube, all I can get are naff plastic ones
which leak petrol when using.
TIA
John T

For gloves see Town & Country - one of the few glove manufacturers left -
http://www.townandco.com/main_gloves.htm although I'd suggest going to the
sports shop and buying a pair of ski gloves, warm and padded.

For the petrol can - it might be worth contacting a yacht chandlers,
alternatively you could get a funnel and throw away the petrol can pouring
tube.

HTH.

Cheers

Nick

Old 29-10-2003, 04:23 PM
martin

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:34:56 -0000, "John Towill"
wrote:

The task, that seems never ending is underway, collecting and bagging
leaves. How about GMing trees so that they all drop their leaves in one
night, say the night the clocks alter! Only joking, we don't want to reopen
that can of worms. ;-)

Our local council would appreciate GM trees. Their contractors spent a
week sweeping up every fallen leaf, when most of the leaves were still
on the trees. I am almost certain that they sweep leaves on the same
date every year, irrespective of when the leaves fall.

--
Martin
Old 29-10-2003, 04:33 PM
martin

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:16:21 -0000, "Nick Gray"
wrote:

[...]

If you visit a chandler you can buy a plastic syphon thing for about
UKP3 that is the simplest, cleanest way of transferring fuel from a
container to a fuel tank.
--
Martin
Old 29-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Gary Woods

"John Towill" wrote:

Secondly it is a petrol device, and I would like to get hold of a good
litres petrol can with pouring tube, all I can get are naff plastic ones
which leak petrol when using.

Some machines now are "anti-vibration," which helps a great deal; I'm not
at all sure how much relief you'd get from padded gloves, though it would
be cheap enough to try.
Is "Rubbermaid" marketed in the U.K.? I've had a 5-gallon plastic fuel
container of theirs for years; rectangular shape, nice pouring spout,
well-shaped handle. I know they make similar smaller ones. I have a
smaller round metal one that has a rubber pouring spout that works well for
the 2-cycle mix. The man problem with metal containers is that they rust.
I've kept the small one alive for a long time by storing it on a plywood
shelf in the garage, rather than on damp cement, which kills them pretty
quickly.
I have mostly pine trees, so have to rely on stolen leaves to compost.
Fortunately, many public-spirited citizens put them out at curbside in
convenient bags, often biodegradable paper ones lately!

Old 29-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Rod

"John Towill" wrote in message ...
[...]

Good garden machine dealers sell 5L plastic cans for the job. Some come with bolted on extra can for chain oil (for
chainsaws) others without. All come with a non-spill nozzle like the old fashioned battery fillers for car
batteries. Just tip the can up in the filler - press down to open and wait 'til petrol stops flowing.

Rod

Old 29-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , John Towill
writes
The task, that seems never ending is underway, collecting and bagging
leaves. How about GMing trees so that they all drop their leaves in one
night,

They did a few years back !!
On 14th October we had a -10 frost. Woke up the next morning and the ash
tree leaves were all in a nice neat circle under the tree. Took no time
at all to bag em up )

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 30-10-2003, 02:42 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:16:21 -0000, Nick Gray wrote:

A couple of serious related questions. I blow the leaves into piles then
vacuum them up so they are nicely chopped up to help composting. Two
problems, first the vibration gives me hand discomfort, anyone know where
padded gloves may be obtained to help overcome this?

For gloves see Town & Country - one of the few glove manufacturers left -
http://www.townandco.com/main_gloves.htm although I'd suggest going to the
sports shop and buying a pair of ski gloves, warm and padded.

I'd suggest looking around for a "safety supply" company. Ski
gloves are insulated to keep out the cold and wet, not cushion
the vibrations of power equipment. Given the incidence of RSI
these days, I feel quite confident that there are special
vibration-damping gloves available *somewhere*.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 30-10-2003, 08:32 AM
David Hill

"..........Two problems, first the vibration gives me hand discomfort,
anyone know where padded gloves may be obtained to help overcome this?
.................."

May sound stupid, but why not try Oven Gloves, Padded, Insulated, easily
available and cheap.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 30-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from (Rodger Whitlock)
contains these words:

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:16:21 -0000, Nick Gray wrote:

Two
problems, first the vibration gives me hand discomfort, anyone
know where
padded gloves may be obtained to help overcome this?

I'd suggest looking around for a "safety supply" company. Ski
gloves are insulated to keep out the cold and wet, not cushion
the vibrations of power equipment. Given the incidence of RSI
these days, I feel quite confident that there are special
vibration-damping gloves available *somewhere*.

As Rodger says you should get proper industrial anti-vibration
protection. You're risking a disability called white-finger which is
somewhat worse than RSI. You'll find more about how to avoid it, it on
the net.

Take care,

Janet.

Old 31-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Jim Paterson

"David Hill" wrote in message
"..........Two problems, first the vibration gives me hand discomfort,
anyone know where padded gloves may be obtained to help overcome this?
................."

May sound stupid, but why not try Oven Gloves, Padded, Insulated, easily
available and cheap.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk
Using machinery every day in gardens and suffering from arthritis I get

problems too including whitefinger or in my case its more like white HAND.
Unfortunately most of the 'Gloves' recommended are unsuitable as you don't
have fingertip control of your machine which in certain instances is
crucial.
my solution or rather NON solution is to grin and bear it which as an ex
marine I can do. Not the best solution I agree but I would rather scarify a
large lawn with a machine than doing it by hand! Likewise vac blowers, chain
saws, hedgetrimmers etc. etc.

Old 01-11-2003, 05:22 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:45:30 -0000, Jim Paterson wrote:

my solution or rather NON solution is to grin and bear it which as an ex
marine I can do.

At, might I add, the risk of totally losing the use of your
hands.

Not the best solution I agree but I would rather scarify a
large lawn with a machine than doing it by hand! Likewise vac blowers, chain
saws, hedgetrimmers etc. etc.

Meanwhile you are scarifying your muscles and tendons. That is
damage that cannot be un-done and once you reach the point of
functional loss, there's no going back.

I'm just a near-anonymous voice over the internet, but I beseech
you (in, as they used to say, the bowels of Christ) to consider
that you may be mistaken in this attitude and practice.

Old 01-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Jim Paterson
writes

Not the best solution I agree but I would rather scarify a
large lawn with a machine than doing it by hand!

Which scarifier do you recommend Jim? I need one but the piddly little
black and Decker things would be clapped out in a couple of years.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Rain, Rain and yet more B.... Rain Dave Hill United Kingdom 15 27-10-2011 06:00 PM
And yet one more woodchuck Srgnt Billko Lawns 1 07-08-2006 06:03 PM
Yet more under water lights Roy Ponds 0 29-08-2004 04:51 AM
yet more lighting questions Kate Quirk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 06:15 AM
Logging (yet some more) Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 01-11-2002 11:27 AM