Old 29-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Curiosity

Default Advise on Fedge ?

Well that's what my gardening books call it, a cross between a fence
and a hedge.

I want a boundary between my open plan front garden and my private
rear garden however I do'nt want it to put up a solid fence and make
the place look like a fortress.

My gardening book suggest a trellis covered with Ivy .

How long would this take to become established, are there different
kinds of Ivy, are there any other suitable climbing plants apart from
Ivy, any advise on the trellis or should I use wires/fencing ?

The fedge will face NW .

TIA

Paul D
Old 29-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Jim W

Curiosity wrote:

Well that's what my gardening books call it, a cross between a fence
and a hedge.

I want a boundary between my open plan front garden and my private
rear garden however I do'nt want it to put up a solid fence and make
the place look like a fortress.

My gardening book suggest a trellis covered with Ivy .

How long would this take to become established, are there different
kinds of Ivy, are there any other suitable climbing plants apart from
Ivy, any advise on the trellis or should I use wires/fencing ?

In order.. Yes, probably several hundred... See
http://www.fibrex.co.uk/front/welcome.html for the National Collection
of Hedera (Ivies). Well worth getting something more interesting than
the bog standard Garden Centre ones...

Other suitable climbing plants. Parthenocissus henryana, Passiflora,
Wisteria, Jasminum.. Not all as evergreen as Ivy though.
Climbing/Rambling roses.. Someone just down the road from us has a mixed
fedge. Its Ivy & roses mixed grown over trellis between brick
piers/uprights. Several years on it gets a once yearly trim and looks
fab.. Green all year, roses in summer..Great!-)

Willow is another option for a fedge, but very fast growing and it is
necessary to get the correct cultivar (one of the narrow growing
hybrids)

/
Jim

The fedge will face NW .

Old 29-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Bevan Price

"Curiosity" wrote in message

Well that's what my gardening books call it, a cross between a fence
and a hedge.

I want a boundary between my open plan front garden and my private
rear garden however I do'nt want it to put up a solid fence and make
the place look like a fortress.

My gardening book suggest a trellis covered with Ivy .

How long would this take to become established, are there different
kinds of Ivy, are there any other suitable climbing plants apart from
Ivy, any advise on the trellis or should I use wires/fencing ?

The fedge will face NW .

TIA

Paul D

Although wooden fences or trellis generally looks better than wire, remember
that a wooden fence will eventually rot and possibly collapse, and also you
will need to coat it with preservative every few years before then. If you
use wood, you need to ensure that you can access the wood between the
plants, in order to apply the preservative without damaging your plants. Ivy
& other climbers may also trap rainwater next to the wood, which will hasten
the rotting.

Bevan

Old 29-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Curiosity

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:51:35 -0000, "Bevan Price"
wrote:

"Curiosity" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

A very good point, however a wire mesh fence separating front garden
from back will look pretty horrible before the climbers can get
established.

Not sure what the solution is really ?.

Paul D
Old 29-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Jim W

Bevan Price wrote:

"Curiosity" wrote in message

[...]

An invalid point as with ivy, by the time the fence rots, the ivy will
have replaced it and be self supporting.. Esp if you use some stout
posts within the fence. The whole POINT of a fedge is that it does not
need maintainance other than trimming or whatver.. If you are gonna
piddle abut painting it every few years, then sorry. Its not a proper
fedge, its just a fence with a few plants trained against it;-)

The trellis 'based' fedge I mentioned previously is solid and doesn't
get painted with anything.. I'll see if I can get a piccy if you really
want;-)

I'd use timber lathes to make you're trellis. PRetreat them with
preservative before construction and give an extra coat once finished if
you want to, for a 'proper' job.. This way you have a well built
customised trellis and tougher than some of the lightweight stuff they
seem to try and flog at the garden centres these days!

Just an opinion;-))

Jim

Bevan

Old 29-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Curiosity

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:30:50 +0000,
(Jim W) wrote:

Bevan Price wrote:

"Curiosity" wrote in message

[...]

I suppose the timber lathes could be "reinforced" with a strong wire,
just in case, then the climbers will still have support if the wood
should eventually disintegrate.

Good suggestion about constructing the trellis from good timber rather
than the premade stuff.

Thanks

Paul D

Old 29-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

wrote:

A very good point, however a wire mesh fence separating front garden
from back will look pretty horrible before the climbers can get
established.

Plant annuals for the first years, not excluding runner beans. Not
a big problem.

On the matter of wood rotting, I use tanalised (CCA) timber, and it
lasts. This is being banned, but I believe that is more hysteria
than anything else. I don't know what the replacement is.

As far as plants are concerned, you can use pretty well any climber
that forms a thick tangle. Many clematis and honeysuckle, some
vines (but prune back hard the first few winters), Holboellia
and so on.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-10-2003, 09:32 AM
Sue da Nimm

"Bevan Price" wrote in message

"Curiosity" wrote in message

Well that's what my gardening books call it, a cross between a fence
and a hedge.

I want a boundary between my open plan front garden and my private
rear garden however I do'nt want it to put up a solid fence and make
the place look like a fortress.

My gardening book suggest a trellis covered with Ivy .

remember
that a wooden fence will eventually rot and possibly collapse,

It will. I had a fedge made of trellis, various honeysuckles, ivy and
pyracantha. The trellis was weak after about eight years and large sections
were brought down by the wind two years ago. It was heart-breaking because
the fedge was always dense and full of flowers and fruits.

It has been replaced by willow and twisted hazel, but for the life of me I
can't find the address of the company that supplied the plants. (They do
willow fedge, pergolas, wigwams, pickets - all living,) I bought them after
reading an article in one of the weekend colour supplements.

willow fedge [email protected] United Kingdom 7 15-12-2005 09:25 PM
willow fedge [email protected] Permaculture 1 14-12-2005 02:48 AM
Filter/pump advise Bob H Ponds 4 15-02-2003 01:39 AM
Old aluminium roof under pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 4 29-01-2003 09:03 PM
Old aluminium roof on top of pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 2 28-01-2003 07:00 PM