GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Runner bean seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/46376-runner-bean-seeds.html)

Therefore 30-10-2003 07:02 PM

Runner bean seeds

Ideas please , I have grown, red rum, white emergo, and pink flowered
sunset.

Will these have cross pollinated or can I save these seeds and still have
seperate types.

These varieties are self pollinating and do very well, so would be good use
the saved seeds.

......................Leslie

Victoria Clare 31-10-2003 01:02 PM

Runner bean seeds

"Therefore" wrote in
:

Ideas please , I have grown, red rum, white emergo, and pink flowered
sunset.

Will these have cross pollinated or can I save these seeds and still
have seperate types.

These varieties are self pollinating and do very well, so would be
good use the saved seeds.

I think they will almost certainly not breed true, assuming they were
planted within bee-distance - though that doesn't mean that they will not
produce worthwhile offspring.

I suspect if you plant them you'll get quite a few varying types, though
probably none of them will be quite what you planted last year.

Bean seeds seem to have good 'lasting power' so if you buy a big pack of
each you can grow them for several years, and germination rates don't seem
to fall off before you empty the bag (I suppose that depends how big the
bag is! I've done 4 years from the same bag OK before now.)

Victoria Clare

Jim Paterson 31-10-2003 08:42 PM

Runner bean seeds

"Therefore" wrote in message
.. .
Ideas please , I have grown, red rum, white emergo, and pink flowered
sunset.

Will these have cross pollinated or can I save these seeds and still have
seperate types.

These varieties are self pollinating and do very well, so would be good

use
the saved seeds.

......................Leslie

You will find that as in common with most legumes they have hooded

flowers, ie the sex parts are located within the keel and generally
protected from the activities of pollinating insects. On occasion you will
get cross pollination but that is the exception rather than the rule.
On hybridisation programmes to breed new varieties the hybridiser has to
strip the flowers to gain access. A good example of the rarity of this sort
of thing is sweetpeas where a commercial grower will find less than a
handful of rogues in a field of several acres.

Therefore 01-11-2003 08:02 PM

Runner bean seeds

Thanks Jim
I thought it might be the case and also good news on my saved sweet peas.

Thanks both of you for your comments

"Jim Paterson" wrote in message

.. .