Old 31-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Philip

Default Plant ID assistance please

Hi

If anyone could help with the identification of this plant I would
appreciate it very much.

This is a hardy plant which will self seed around the garden. Strangely it
never seems to grow near itself. It carries purple flowers on the top of
the main stem and on top of each branch.
The plant branches symetrically, so you always get two branches (one either
side of the stem) each time.
I can grow between 2 and 6 feet tall. The plant does not seem to have that
many leaves for its size.
The bees and butterflies like it.

Here is a pic of the flowers I took earlier this year.

http://www.esher.nildram.co.uk/philip/images/purple.jpg

If there are any other questions i can answer to help with the ID please
post them and I will ge back to you.

Many thanks

Phil

Old 31-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Iris McCanna

"Philip" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Phil,

Verbena bonariensis.

Regards
Iris McCanna

(remove the NOT to mail me)
(All outgoing mails certified virus free)

Old 31-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Philip

Phil,

Verbena bonariensis.

Regards
Iris McCanna

I am stunned. I posted before making lunch for the kids and when I look
after I had finshed my mushroom soup your reply was there.

Thank you so much.
If anyone else wants to follow this one up - here is a nice write up :

http://www.floridata.com/ref/v/verb_bon.cfm

Phil

Old 31-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Philip

If its warm enough yes it will come right back next year, but on the other
hand it is not perennial. By that I mean that after 2 or 3 years the main
plant just seems to get tired and die. Luckily there are plenty of
seedlings to keep ones stock up.

"Mac" wrote in message
is this a perennial plant ?

mac