GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Again Mushrooms (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/46493-again-mushrooms.html)

Therefore 01-11-2003 06:42 PM

Again Mushrooms

Hello a few posts back it was suggested that you could save the spores and
seed a patch of mushrooms in the garden.

If this is so perhaps you would be good enough to repost this information.

.....................Leslie

Franz Heymann 02-11-2003 01:34 AM

Again Mushrooms

"Therefore" wrote in message
.. .
Hello a few posts back it was suggested that you could save the spores and
seed a patch of mushrooms in the garden.

If this is so perhaps you would be good enough to repost this information.

.....................Leslie

If you leave the cap of a "ripe" mushroom on a piece of paper, with the
leaves downwards for a day, you will see a vast number of spores which have
fallen on to the paper. You could shake this out over the ground where you
want to encourage mushrooms to grow. Or alternatively, just put a mushroom
head on the spot and protect it against the weather for a day or two.

Having said that, it is highly unlikely that you will succeed, because
mushrooms are excessively fussy about where they will decide to settle down.

Franz

Jaques d'Alltrades 06-11-2003 09:06 PM

Again Mushrooms

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"Therefore" wrote in message
.. .

Hello a few posts back it was suggested that you could save the spores and
seed a patch of mushrooms in the garden.

If this is so perhaps you would be good enough to repost this information.

.....................Leslie

If you leave the cap of a "ripe" mushroom on a piece of paper, with the
leaves downwards for a day, you will see a vast number of spores which have
fallen on to the paper. You could shake this out over the ground where you
want to encourage mushrooms to grow. Or alternatively, just put a mushroom
head on the spot and protect it against the weather for a day or two.

Having said that, it is highly unlikely that you will succeed, because
mushrooms are excessively fussy about where they will decide to settle down.

You could help nature along a bit by a scattering of powdered chalk if
cultivated mushrooms are to provide the spores.

--
Rusty Hinge

Gareth Jones 08-11-2003 10:44 AM

Again Mushrooms

In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes
Hello a few posts back it was suggested that you could save the spores and
seed a patch of mushrooms in the garden.

If this is so perhaps you would be good enough to repost this information.

.....................Leslie

If you leave the cap of a "ripe" mushroom on a piece of paper, with the
leaves downwards for a day, you will see a vast number of spores which have
fallen on to the paper. You could shake this out over the ground where you
want to encourage mushrooms to grow. Or alternatively, just put a mushroom
head on the spot and protect it against the weather for a day or two.

Having said that, it is highly unlikely that you will succeed, because
mushrooms are excessively fussy about where they will decide to settle down.

Well I failed in my searches for a packet of mushroom spawn so I'm off
this weekend to a friends farm - she has kindly collected a bag of them
from her fields and I'm going to be sowing them in the next day or so.

I'll let you know how I get on in a year or so!

I am quietly confident though ;-)

Gareth Jones

"Reality sucks - go watch a Star Trek"

To email, remove the '_ns_' from

Franz Heymann 08-11-2003 08:22 PM

Again Mushrooms

"Gareth Jones" wrote in message
[...]

Don't be too confident! Mushrooms are exceedingly picky about where they
want to establish themselves.
{:-(

Franz

David Hill 08-11-2003 09:03 PM

Again Mushrooms

"........Or alternatively, just put a mushroom head on the spot and protect
it against the weather for a day or two. ..........."

And wont the slugs love it...........

I would put some of the horse manure into a box and put the mushrooms onto
that, at least that way the slugs wont have them.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

martin 08-11-2003 10:22 PM

Again Mushrooms

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 20:16:35 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Gareth Jones" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann =

notfranz.
writes
[...]

Even when one buys second hand mushroom growing earth?

My wife was about to buy some.
--=20
Martin

Jaques d'Alltrades 09-11-2003 12:04 AM

Again Mushrooms

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

"........Or alternatively, just put a mushroom head on the spot and protect
it against the weather for a day or two. ..........."

And wont the slugs love it...........

I would put some of the horse manure into a box and put the mushrooms onto
that, at least that way the slugs wont have them.

Mix the horsh 50/50 with peat or compost.

--
Rusty Hinge
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Christopher Norton 10-11-2003 11:33 AM

Again Mushrooms

Try Dobies, as well as lions mane, shitake and oyster I`m sure they had
just a spawn. you will find a catalogue in Decembers Kitchen Garden mag.