Old 11-11-2003, 09:32 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Remind me why I wanted rain?

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

My mistake. I was thinking of both virii and spammed email.

pedant

Virus is a collective noun.

One solitary influenza virus may be inspected under the electron
microscope.microscope.
Granted, I don't know whether an influenza and a legionnaire'd disease

virus
lying side by side should be referred to as a pair of viruses or a pair

of
virii. (On the assumption that the legionnaire's disease thingy is

indeed a
virus at all)

It wouldn't be virii anyway, would it? That'd be the plural of virius.

My knowledge of Latin is insufficient to knit a pair of socks for a flea.
My Concise Oxford dictionary is no help either,
so I will believe you. {:-))

Franz

Old 11-11-2003, 09:32 AM
martin

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:11:54 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

/snip/

Just the legal costs of defending such an action could bankrupt some (if
not all) small ISPs though, which is why Zetnet for one wrote a killfile
into its software, but won't intercept it on the server.

And who on earth is going to do the suing or prosecuting? Which masochist
wants to make a laughing stock of him/herself?

It only needs a disaffected spammer to report that mail is being deleted
by a named ISP, and the police *MUST* investigate. How thoroughly they
do so is another matter. Remember, this is a criminal matter, not a
civil one.

Go away and read the law you quoted very carefully!

The offence you quoted applies to unauthorised interception of mail
and phone tapping.

Then, if the police do investigate, and are of the opinion that there is
a pima facie case, they must pass the matter to the DPP.

You watch too much Inspector Morse :-)
--
Martin
Old 11-11-2003, 09:32 AM
martin

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:13:04 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

My mistake. I was thinking of both virii and spammed email.

pedant

Virus is a collective noun.

One solitary influenza virus may be inspected under the electron
microscope.microscope.
Granted, I don't know whether an influenza and a legionnaire'd disease virus
lying side by side should be referred to as a pair of viruses or a pair of
virii. (On the assumption that the legionnaire's disease thingy is indeed a
virus at all)

/pedant

Virus means dirt, filth.

Latin for poison actually
--
Martin
Old 11-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

It wouldn't be virii anyway, would it? That'd be the plural of virius.

4th declension noun would be virii. I can't remember what viri
translates as (and I've lost my huge Latin dictionary) but it isn't the
plural of virus.

I *COULD* bother one of Zetnet's directors and ask him for a(nother)
full explanation,

Of what virii translates as? {:-))

but he's rather busy ATM with a (presumably)
intermittent fault on one of the servers.

Franz

Old 11-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:30:01 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for helping me to discover that an OED CD made for Win95 won't
run with WinXP :-(((

If you will let me have it at a sensible secondhand price, I will take it
off you. Payment will result ASAP *after* I have veruified that it will run
on my Windows 98. {:-))
(All on the assumption that it is an OED and not a Concise Oxford.)

Franz

Old 11-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Ian Wolfe

In message
martin wrote:

[snip]

Virus means dirt, filth.

Latin for poison actually

Actually its basic meaning was a slimy liquid, eg animal sperm.
By extension, a poisonous liquid, or poison.
Further, an offensive odour or stench.
And finally, a sharp saline taste.
--
Ian Wolfe.
Linlithgow. Birthplace of Mary, Queen of Scots.

Old 11-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

And the whole exercise ends up by being a big footshooting. Soon after the
first case of this kind comes to court, there will be anti-spamming
legislation. Then the spammer has really become irrelevant.

Antispam legislation has already been enacted and comes into force this
year, on or about the 10th of December.

However - it might not be easy to enforce............

--
Rusty Hinge
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

BTW I was wrong Zetnet don't offer a spam tagging service, yet. So not
the best ISP in UK after all?

And that is your main criterion for a good ISP? If you wanted to speak
to one of your ISP's directors, could you just phone and expect to speak
to him? Do any of your deirctors ever appear on IRC? If you voice a
criticism in the host newsgroups (if you have any?) would you expect an
answer in the NG from the CEO? Could you expect to have the owner phone
you for an opinion on methods of payment?

Didn't think so.

Old 11-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

It only needs a disaffected spammer to report that mail is being deleted
by a named ISP, and the police *MUST* investigate. How thoroughly they
do so is another matter. Remember, this is a criminal matter, not a
civil one.

Go away and read the law you quoted very carefully!

The offence you quoted applies to unauthorised interception of mail
and phone tapping.

And of course, e-mail is not covered by this?

Then, if the police do investigate, and are of the opinion that there is
a pima facie case, they must pass the matter to the DPP.

You watch too much Inspector Morse :-)

I haven't got a haunted fishtank. I prefer RL.

Old 11-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

I can tell just from the headers and senders.....

I think I told you that 4 weeks ago. I even provided you with
examples.
Incidentally to get spam that slipped through down to 2 or 3 messages
a week it took more than 300 filters with Lotus Notes and I had to
regularly add new filters.

Bloody hell! You think that was news? I've been on the net just about as
long as e-spam has been around. I've had one in my mailbox this week. I
haven't counted the filters, but *@msn.* would kill around a quarter of
them.

Old 11-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

Virus means dirt, filth.

Latin for poison actually

And that. If you look in a good Latin dictionary you'll find most nouns
cover a very wide area. FYI it also means 'slime'.

Old 11-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

I *COULD* bother one of Zetnet's directors and ask him for a(nother)
full explanation,

Of what virii translates as? {:-))

Yes. He sometimes chips in to a thread in a Zetgroup and gives someone a
lecture on the word.......

Old 11-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Ian Wolfe contains these words:

Actually its basic meaning was a slimy liquid, eg animal sperm.
By extension, a poisonous liquid, or poison.
Further, an offensive odour or stench.
And finally, a sharp saline taste.

How funny; I was just thinking "Where's Ian Wolfe when we need him"
and up you popped.

Procul, o procul estes, profani.

Janet

Old 11-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Ian Wolfe

In message
Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from Ian Wolfe contains these words:

Actually its basic meaning was a slimy liquid, eg animal sperm.
By extension, a poisonous liquid, or poison.
Further, an offensive odour or stench.
And finally, a sharp saline taste.

How funny; I was just thinking "Where's Ian Wolfe when we need him"
and up you popped.

Procul, o procul estes, profani.

Wonderful response, but perhaps "este".

Old 11-11-2003, 04:02 PM
martin

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:45:40 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

BTW I was wrong Zetnet don't offer a spam tagging service, yet. So not
the best ISP in UK after all?

And that is your main criterion for a good ISP?

Please don't jump to conclusions. I did not give any criteria for a
good ISP.

If you wanted to speak
to one of your ISP's directors, could you just phone and expect to speak
to him?

Why should I? I have never had to phone my ISP.
The director is head of French Telecom. I would expect him to have
delegated handling complaints to somebody a bit more junior.

Do any of your deirctors ever appear on IRC?

I doubt if he knows what IRC is. Why should he appear on IRC?

If you voice a
criticism in the host newsgroups (if you have any?)

I haven't, I have no complaints.

would you expect an
answer in the NG from the CEO?

N/A see above.

Could you expect to have the owner phone
you for an opinion on methods of payment?

No and if he did I would tell him to sod off.
Telephones are not a suitable media for private money discussions.
If the CEO does things like this WTF is running the company?

Didn't think so.

You imply that Zetnet users criticise the service and that the CEO
spends time defending it.

I changed ISP's 4 times before I settled with Wanadoo.
I have been with Wanadoo for 3 years.

Wanadoo provides everything I expect of an ISP and I am completely
happy with the service they provide.

If you want to continue this discussion take it to uk.net , which is
the correct group for the topic.

FU set to uk.net
--
Martin