Old 04-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Registered User

Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Unhappy Garden Shed Roof Leaking

Can anyone help please?

My garden Shed roof is leaking due to sagging. The roof is 11 foot 6 x 7 foot 6 with a 6 inch drop.
The shed was handbuilt (poorly) by the previous owners and is covered in felt over tongue and groove boarding. The 2 supporting beams are along the long axis rather than the shorter one. Each "beam" is are made out if 2 lengths of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" with a short length of the same bracing them at the join (something like -_- ). This has caused the centre of the roof to sag and leak. I have tried bracing the roof with poles and sealing the joins of the felt with bitumen paint with limited success.
Can anyone suggest a good to fix this? I am reluctant to replace the entire roof as I'm not that adventurous with DIY and I don't the weather will be kind enough to allow me an extended fixing period.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:32 PM
keith

Default Garden Shed Roof Leaking

it sounds like there isn't adequate roof support!11\2*11\2 timber with a 11
ft span & a join in the middle wont hold the wait.the only way really is to
refit the timber in full lengths no joins.2" by 2" MIN.Then refelt it all.
hope this helps
s.com...

--
WardaleM

Old 04-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Bracknell, Berkshire

Quote:
Originally posted by keith
[b]it sounds like there isn't adequate roof support!11\2*11\2 timber with a 11
ft span & a join in the middle wont hold the wait.the only way really is to
refit the timber in full lengths no joins.2" by 2" MIN.Then refelt it all.
hope this helps
Thanks Keith,

I was afraid that this was the case.

I was considering fitting a second roof over the first by constructing a frame (with the main supports on the shorter span), boarding and felting this.

This will hopefully allow me to increase the slope of the roof as well. A 6" drop over 7 foot 6" seems too shallow to me.

Is this a relatively easy job? Or would removing the existing roof and rebuilding be a better bet?

All suggestions gratefully received.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:23 PM
William Tasso

WardaleM wrote:
Can anyone help please?

My garden Shed roof is leaking due to sagging. The roof is 11 foot 6
x 7 foot 6 with a 6 inch drop.
The shed was handbuilt (poorly) by the previous owners and is covered
in felt over tongue and groove boarding. The 2 supporting beams are
along the long axis rather than the shorter one. Each "beam" is are
made out if 2 lengths of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" with a short length of the
same bracing them at the join (something like -_- ). This has caused
the centre of the roof to sag and leak. I have tried bracing the roof
with poles and sealing the joins of the felt with bitumen paint with
limited success.
Can anyone suggest a good to fix this? I am reluctant to replace the
entire roof as I'm not that adventurous with DIY and I don't the
weather will be kind enough to allow me an extended fixing period.

If you have the height and something to fix them to, you could add supports
running at right-angles to the existing 'beams'

--
William Tasso

Old 04-11-2003, 08:44 PM
Registered User

Location: Bracknell, Berkshire

Quote:
If you have the height and something to fix them to, you could add supports
running at right-angles to the existing 'beams'

--
William Tasso
William,

There is plenty of height, and I should be able to fix at one end,
however, there is a window running along one of the long walls that is only about 1 1/2" below the roof. Could I use those metal joist support-type things for this?

Also, any suggestions on how I can lift the sagging roof up enough to fit the bracing so it will prevent the sag?

Mark

Old 05-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Cerumen

"WardaleM" wrote in message
s.com...
Can anyone help please?

My garden Shed roof is leaking due to sagging.

Throw a tarpaulin over it until spring or try uk.rec.diy or even
uk.rec.sheds maybe?

--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 05-11-2003, 08:32 AM
Mark Fawcett

WardaleM wrote in message ws.com...

If you have the height and something to fix them to, you could add
supports
running at right-angles to the existing 'beams'

--
William Tasso

William,

There is plenty of height, and I should be able to fix at one end,
however, there is a window running along one of the long walls that is
only about 1 1/2" below the roof. Could I use those metal joist
support-type things for this?

Also, any suggestions on how I can lift the sagging roof up enough to
fit the bracing so it will prevent the sag?

Mark

How about using something like a screw car jack - place a piece of
wood on top of the jack, wedge it against the cross beams and wind it
up until the roof is flat again. Hope that explanation made sense!

Mark
Old 05-11-2003, 10:22 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:50:54 -0000, Cerumen wrote:

Throw a tarpaulin over it until spring or try uk.rec.diy ...

uk.d-i-y

That group existed long before people thought that their would be so
mnay NGs...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 05-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Ron Clark

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:50:54 -0000, "Cerumen"
wrote:

"WardaleM" wrote in message
ws.com...
Can anyone help please?

My garden Shed roof is leaking due to sagging.

Throw a tarpaulin over it until spring or try uk.rec.diy or even
uk.rec.sheds maybe?

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Splutter!!! Perhaps the OP expects a serious reply!

--
®óñ© © ²°°³
Old 05-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Registered User

Location: Bracknell, Berkshire

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mark Fawcett
How about using something like a screw car jack - place a piece of
wood on top of the jack, wedge it against the cross beams and wind it
up until the roof is flat again. Hope that explanation made sense!

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the advice, Sounds like I'll have to do it in stages, lifting and bracing each section as I go across. (either that or nick the jack from every car in the street!)

Once the roof is braced, does anyone have any advice on covering? Should I use felt? If so should I remove the current felt and re-felt or felt over the top of the current felt? I don't think tiling or shinglind would work as the slope is too shallow. Are there any other alternatives?

Sorry for so many questions, as I said in my original post I'm a bit of a DIY duffer!

Mark

Old 05-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"WardaleM" wrote in message
s.com...
[i]Originally posted by Mark Fawcett
How about using something like a screw car jack - place a piece of
wood on top of the jack, wedge it against the cross beams and wind
it
up until the roof is flat again. Hope that explanation made sense!

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the advice, Sounds like I'll have to do it in stages,
lifting and bracing each section as I go across. (either that or nick
the jack from every car in the street!)

Once the roof is braced, does anyone have any advice on covering?
Should I use felt? If so should I remove the current felt and re-felt
or felt over the top of the current felt?

No need to do that. My shed already has its third cover, one over the
other.

I don't think tiling or
shinglind would work as the slope is too shallow. Are there any other
alternatives?

Your woodwork is grossly too weak to support anything other than felt or
plastic.

[snip]

Franz

Old 05-11-2003, 07:02 PM
shazzbat

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"WardaleM" wrote in message
s.com...
[i]Originally posted by Mark Fawcett
How about using something like a screw car jack - place a piece of
wood on top of the jack, wedge it against the cross beams and wind
it
up until the roof is flat again. Hope that explanation made sense!

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the advice, Sounds like I'll have to do it in stages,
lifting and bracing each section as I go across. (either that or nick
the jack from every car in the street!)

If your shed is like most the roof is either one or two fairly simple frames
which will not be dificult to make as a replacement. Take he old one(2) off,
put the new on, and cover.

At risk of seeming a smartarse, my shed in the garden has a roof made of
what was a double garage door, in aluminium. It in't going to leak for a
long time hopefully but you should hear it in a hailstorm!

Steve

Old 07-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message m
from WardaleM contains these words:

/snip/
Can anyone suggest a good to fix this? I am reluctant to replace the
entire roof as I'm not that adventurous with DIY and I don't the
weather will be kind enough to allow me an extended fixing period.

This is where a bucket comes in handy......

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 07-11-2003, 10:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Bracknell, Berkshire

[quote]

This is where a bucket comes in handy......

QUOTE]

I doubt that a bucket will be enough - anyone got a second hand paddling pool for sale?