Old 07-11-2003, 10:33 AM
Martin Sykes

Default Cobea Scandens

My Cobea Scandens (cup and saucer plant) was just about to flower when the
cold weather arrived. It seems to have stopped growing now although the
frosts don't appear to have damaged it in any permanent way. Is it likely to
survive the winter here in Cheshire? If so, should it be cut back or just
left running rampant through the hedge?

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 07-11-2003, 05:33 PM
jane

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:24:27 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

~My Cobea Scandens (cup and saucer plant) was just about to flower when the
~cold weather arrived. It seems to have stopped growing now although the
~frosts don't appear to have damaged it in any permanent way. Is it likely to
~survive the winter here in Cheshire? If so, should it be cut back or just
~left running rampant through the hedge?

no chance I'm afraid - I had some just starting to flower a couple of
years ago when the frosts hit... they turned to mush quite fast. It's
recommended starting them off sometime in early Feb so that there is
half a chance of them coming into flower... or keep them in a
conservatory and get ready for the quatermass vine :-)

Dad tries to grow them every year and he's getting earlier and
earlier... still the best we've done is a couple of weeks of flowers.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Cobea scandens Bananaman Gardening 1 16-07-2008 10:32 PM
cobaea scandens over winter Clare United Kingdom 3 18-09-2005 09:56 AM
cup and saucer plant (cobaea scandens) jcart003 Gardening 1 02-06-2004 05:51 PM
Where to get Microsorium scandens in the Brisbane area? Dave Gillingham Australia 1 31-08-2003 09:22 PM
Dicentra scandens paghat Gardening 0 14-07-2003 06:52 AM