Old 07-11-2003, 03:24 PM
Steve

Default Can anyone tell me if this is the right time of year for pollarding and apple tree ?

I've looked all over but I can't seem to find out when you're supposed
to do this ?

We've a large apple planted in 1933 that's all over the place. The last
owners seemed to have an aversion to going into the garden at all (we've
cleared 6 skip loads so far).
I've been told to cut it all the way back (it Y's off at about 5
feet and I was told to go about 4 foot along each branch and cut down
from there). Is this the right time of year to do this, I really,
really don't want to stuff this up.

Very many thanks
--
Steve
Old 07-11-2003, 04:03 PM
Jim W

Steve wrote:

I've looked all over but I can't seem to find out when you're supposed
to do this ?

We've a large apple planted in 1933 that's all over the place. The last
owners seemed to have an aversion to going into the garden at all (we've
cleared 6 skip loads so far).
I've been told to cut it all the way back (it Y's off at about 5
feet and I was told to go about 4 foot along each branch and cut down
from there). Is this the right time of year to do this, I really,
really don't want to stuff this up.

Very many thanks

YEs but its not so ususal to 'pollard' apples as such in my experience,
and HARD pruning such as you describe is better done in stages over a
period of years.

I would at wait at least till it cools a little more.. MEbbe 3 -4 weeks
or so.. Mind you depend on location.. Here the trees are still losing
leaves.
/
Jim
Old 07-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Bob Hobden

"Steve" wrote in message ...

I've looked all over but I can't seem to find out when you're supposed
to do this ?

We've a large apple planted in 1933 that's all over the place. The last
owners seemed to have an aversion to going into the garden at all (we've
cleared 6 skip loads so far).
I've been told to cut it all the way back (it Y's off at about 5
feet and I was told to go about 4 foot along each branch and cut down
from there). Is this the right time of year to do this, I really,
really don't want to stuff this up.

I really understand what you have let yourself into, existing neighbours who
aren't gardeners recently moved next-door into the house opposite us with a
large garden and asked for our help. Sue and I, over a few days, helped
clear the overgrowth, prune most of the shrubs/trees and take 18 full
Landrover vanloads down the dump including 5 of rubbish.
You couldn't even see the largish pond. The large concrete shed base. The
paths. Luckily I knew they were there.

Anyway, if that tree is a focal point do you want to massacre it totally?
Better to take some branches back this year so they grow new wood and then
the rest next year. That way the tree does not have such a shock and doesn't
look so strange. Fine pruning an apple tree for fruiting spurs is something
you will need to learn for the years after.
Oh, and now is OK.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 07-11-2003, 07:14 PM
Rod

"Steve" wrote in message ...

I've looked all over but I can't seem to find out when you're supposed
to do this ?

We've a large apple planted in 1933 that's all over the place. The last
owners seemed to have an aversion to going into the garden at all (we've
cleared 6 skip loads so far).
I've been told to cut it all the way back (it Y's off at about 5
feet and I was told to go about 4 foot along each branch and cut down
from there). Is this the right time of year to do this, I really,
really don't want to stuff this up.

Who told you to pollard an apple? We started some heavy duty pruning on our orchard of old trees - mainly Bramleys
(similar age to yours) today. Not because it's the right time but because it's the only way we can get it into our
schedule. It won't do any harm and we'll be able to mow in there again next year.
But *pollarding*??
On ours we're raising the crowns slightly to allow mowing.
Removing crossing, badly placed, inward growing, diseased branches, removing skyward heading branches. Then if
there's any of the tree left - a bit of thinnning and cleaning up.
But *pollarding*??
Because we are doing a lot we're using a 'chainsaw on a stick' aka Stihl HT 450 - a wonderful tool for the tops of
the trees.

Rod