Old 09-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Ric

Default leaf-scorch on laurel hedge

I have a laurel hadge in which some plants and sections have lost most of
their leaves, and the leaves that are remaining are have scorched tips and
edges and the leaves are crinkly and yellow. I have tried digging out the
worst effected plants and planting new plants but some of these have
developed the same effect. Is this due to poorish soil or perhaps something
eating the roots?

Old 09-11-2003, 06:48 PM
Bry Bry is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Ric
I have a laurel hadge in which some plants and sections have lost most of
their leaves, and the leaves that are remaining are have scorched tips and
edges and the leaves are crinkly and yellow. I have tried digging out the
worst effected plants and planting new plants but some of these have
developed the same effect. Is this due to poorish soil or perhaps something
eating the roots?

I guess you're talking about the most commonly found cherry laurel? It's likely the leaf droping is caused by hard frosts, if you've had any yet? Also, it grows well in acid soil, and nicely in fairly neutral soil like mine, but it will fail in very chalky soil and grow badly in slight chalk. If you have chalk soil, consider another plant or growing it in a pot.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Ric

"Bry" wrote in message
s.com...
I guess you're talking about the most commonly found cherry laurel?

It is Prunus Laurus Rotundifollia - not sure what that is.

It's likely the leaf droping is caused by hard frosts, if you've had
any yet?

The leaves get scorched then crinkle then finally fall off. No frosts - I
livein south of France. There's plenty of water.

Also, it grows well in acid soil, and nicely in fairly neutral
soil like mine, but it will fail in very chalky soil and grow badly in
slight chalk.

The soil is not acid, but neither is it chalky. Most of the hedge is
thriving just odd patches seem not to do so well.

Old 09-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Bry Bry is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Ric
"Bry" wrote in message
s.com...
I guess you're talking about the most commonly found cherry laurel?

It is Prunus Laurus Rotundifollia - not sure what that is.

It's likely the leaf droping is caused by hard frosts, if you've had
any yet?

The leaves get scorched then crinkle then finally fall off. No frosts - I
livein south of France. There's plenty of water.

Also, it grows well in acid soil, and nicely in fairly neutral
soil like mine, but it will fail in very chalky soil and grow badly in
slight chalk.

The soil is not acid, but neither is it chalky. Most of the hedge is
thriving just odd patches seem not to do so well.
I suspect we can rule out soil type, ammount of sunlight and other environment factors as what's damaging one should also dammage the ones next to it. It's more likely you have a few plants that are suffering from bad care at the garden center or they had transplant shock. I'd suggest leaving them for now, unless they're entirely dead, as this colder time of year means they may look bad and not fully recover untill spring. I also try to avoid planting out at this time of year. If the problem with a few persists while the rest thrive, you could try replacing the ones with leaf scorch with another evergreen like holly to patch in the hedge.

However, I'm fairly confident that next spring they'll grow fresh leaves and be ok.

Bry

BTW: I find laurel leaves are great for festive decorations in the house as they last well and look good.