Old 12-11-2003, 11:03 AM
martin

Default Fireworks

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:41:28 -0000, "K" wrote:

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
snip
:
: And the Forbidden Corner (that I talked about in another thread) cafe
: does very good fruit cake with Wensleydale cheese. Though since it's
: actually in Coverdale, it ougt to be Coverdale cheese.

You MUST report them to the EC :O)

or perhaps the local trading standards officer, it's nothing to do
with the EU.
--
Martin
Old 12-11-2003, 02:02 PM
anne

Jane Lumley wrote in message
In article , Kay Easton
writes
We've had fireworks going off at all times of the day and night for the
past 4 weeks, but it doesn't actually bother me, and the cats all take
it in their stride. I accept that other people may be suffering real
problems as a result. If the consensus is that it needs sorting, I'm not
going to fuss, but just hope they find some way that means those of us
who have a single display on bonfire night don't lose out while the
menaces using fireworks as a deliberate nuisance can carry on
regardless. In other wards, any law should be enforceable rather than
the choice of naturally law-abiding.

I think that the noise is annoying, and my cats find it slightly scary,
but it's a minor matter, on a par with workmen with loud radios and the
neighbour's kid and his skateboard - I'd rather be without any of it,
but don't think the law should step in to enforce absolute silence. I
used to love fireworks as a child, and a ban sounds joyless.
--
Jane Lumley

As a child they lasted at most a week, that's why they were fun. Same as
xmas lasted about three weeks including build up to it, the day and the days
up to New Year. Xmas for three months and fireworks for two is very boring.

Old 12-11-2003, 02:03 PM
JennyC

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , K
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
: But - do you not know that every mince pie eating before Christmas
: brings you a month of good luck after?
: --

I make my Christmas cake end Oct/beg Nov and it's usually all eaten before
Christmas. That should be a year's good luck then.

My husband has learnt he

Aghhhhhhhhh Kay - where is yor gramer gon ??

Jenny :~)

needs to make at least 3 - one for me to ice
like a proper Christmas cake, one for him to eat as he doesn't like
icing, and one at least to keep us going until Christmas.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 12-11-2003, 05:48 PM
Kay Easton

In article , JennyC
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

My husband has learnt he

Aghhhhhhhhh Kay - where is yor gramer gon ??

?? ;-)
OED 'learn .. Pa tense and pple learned, learnt'
Or are you objecting that I missed out a 'that'? - surely OK in
colloquial writing? ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 12-11-2003, 07:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , JennyC
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

My husband has learnt he

Aghhhhhhhhh Kay - where is yor gramer gon ??

?? ;-)
OED 'learn .. Pa tense and pple learned, learnt'
Or are you objecting that I missed out a 'that'? - surely OK in
colloquial writing? ;-)

But you needed the past participle. Learn, learnt, learned
You would say "my husband has eaten the...." and not "my husband has ate
the......"
{:-))

Franz

Franz

Old 12-11-2003, 07:33 PM
The Q

"mich" wrote in message

"The Q" wrote in message

Mich is solidly in the UK though.

Snipp

Actually, I live in Cornwall.

Ah Not in England then...

Old 12-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:48:20 -0000, oldmolly wrote:

This year it was a rabbit which died :-(

'undreds of the little blighters round here. The daily road kill of
two or three/day on the 2 1/2 miles from here to town doesn't seem to
affect the population at all. Drive out in the early morning and some
road sections are a mass of bobbing white tails.

All public sales to be banned.

That would just force the sales onto the black market and the
authorities wouldn't have a chance of regulating it. At least with
licensed sellors they can say when fireworks can be sold, 4 weeks
before is to early a week is plenty and none after the 5th. In todays
multicultral society there is need to respect other customs as well so
exceptions for some shops serving particular parts of the community
should be made.

2 hour display would be bigger and better than the measly amount of
fireworks the average house owner could afford.

Thats fine but a display fo that duration will cost a fortune so will
cost a bit to get into. Just to get the crowds(*), it's also only
workable in areas of high population density. The Alston Fireshow
didn't happen this year due to spiralling insurance costs, Nenthead
didn't have a bonfire just live music and medium display. Now to get
*anywhere* else that is going to have a display worth seeing is going
to take at least an hour. So your 1930 - 2130 becomes 1830 - 2230,
just not practical.

(*) See other posts about the problems of big displays. The fireworks
are good but not the rest.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 12-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Mary Fisher

And the Forbidden Corner (that I talked about in another thread) cafe
does very good fruit cake with Wensleydale cheese. Though since it's
actually in Coverdale, it ougt to be Coverdale cheese.

Both Wensleydale and Coverdale are made in the same factory now and, to my
palate, they both taste the same. Although using the word 'taste' is
stretching it a bit.

I used to love Coverdale and real traditional Wensleydale but they've lost
out to Mammon.

Mary

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 13-11-2003, 12:03 AM
Serial # @@@@@

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 17:33:37 +0000 (UTC), "Molly Bloom"
wrote:

Off topic, I know, but I'd be interested he know if others - apart from
myself - are being driven scatty by the relentless barrages of noise from
fireworks over the past weeks. I've no objection to people having fun but
lately - in this part of South London - the noise never seems to stop. And
occasionally it carries on to the small hours. People can be so thoughtless!

I've found spent fireworks in my garden and I daren't go out there after
dark in case I'm hit. I know neighbours are terrified and animals are
frightened but nobody seems capable of doing anything about this.

I'd appreciate some feedback before I complain to my local councillor - not
that I expect that to do much good.

Molly

agree on this , they are far more noisy and dangerous than ever ,
firework day now extends over many weeks , even at 3-4 am they are
going off.
on halloween night my neighbour had some very large maroons thrown
into the garden . some damage to plants and pots .
they are like hand grenades now a days .
if terrorists had a mind they could construct some dangerous ordnance
from the larger rockets on sale.

Old 13-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "Serial # @@@@@" contains these words:

agree on this , they are far more noisy and dangerous than ever ,
firework day now extends over many weeks , even at 3-4 am they are
going off.
on halloween night my neighbour had some very large maroons thrown
into the garden . some damage to plants and pots .
they are like hand grenades now a days .
if terrorists had a mind they could construct some dangerous ordnance
from the larger rockets on sale.

Not to mention the quantities of explosive powder in them. Ok, they make
a nice bang but you`d have to get a whole lot of fireworks to make a
hole. However, you could make a nice nuisence with them. Remember, bark
worse than bite!
Old 13-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Victoria Clare

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
. 1:

(*) See other posts about the problems of big displays. The fireworks
are good but not the rest.

.... I'd vote an exception for the National Fireworks Championships in
Plymouth, which are held in the summer. It's usually a nice evening, and
every time I've been, everyone I've seen has been having a great time (and
so did we), with enormous discussion of which display should win the crown,
and fish and chips afterwards.

Lots of people come by boat, and all the boat lights twinkling on the dark
sea really add to the atmosphere.

Big displays much nicer when it's warm, you can sit on the grass, and no-
one has a cold!

Victoria

Old 13-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Martin Sykes

I was just reminded of a quote from a recent ( in the last year ) news
report. I think it was at the time of the last fire strikes.

'There is concern that the fire [ at a oil/gas refinery of some sort ] is
in danger of spreading to the nearby fireworks factory'

WHAT were the planning authorities thing of !!? :-))

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 14-11-2003, 02:04 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:43:27 -0000, Martin Sykes wrote:

'There is concern that the fire [ at a oil/gas refinery of some sort
] is in danger of spreading to the nearby fireworks factory'

WHAT were the planning authorities thing of !!? :-))

Thing? here have a kin. B-)

Well if your going to have a bang make it a big one. Maybe the local
NIMBY residents didn't want either of them near by?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Fireworks and chickens Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 13 09-11-2010 11:55 PM
Who needs fireworks ------ Kate Morgan United Kingdom 4 11-11-2009 08:12 PM
Fireworks Jim Texas 5 04-01-2006 07:24 PM
Clematis Fireworks Gilly United Kingdom 1 18-07-2005 09:58 AM
OT fireworks KenCo Ponds 2 02-07-2004 12:06 AM