Old 16-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Registered User

Location: London
Default HELP - TREE Identification

Hello all need some help from the gang,

There is a missive tree in a field behind my garden. It drops shed loads of leaves which I use to make beautiful leave mould from.

However its been there for years and I still dont know what its called.

It is fairly high and wide. Currently no leaves but I can see these round balls hanging off the tree everywhere. The size of the balls are slightly smaller than a golf ball. They are brown now but in spring when the leaves grow they sometimes fall off and are little green balls, they arent that prickly just a bit rough. when I split them they have some fluffy stuff inside them.

The leaves are green in summer time and are about the size of my hand, which is in other word an average adult sized hand span.

Dont know what its called but has been hear for donkeys years, would appreciate it if someone could identify it for me.

Many thanks
Old 16-11-2003, 04:24 PM
Registered User

Location: London

PS, ive tried looking at tree websites to find the name, but no luck yet.
Old 16-11-2003, 06:03 PM
TheGardener

s.com...

--
dommy

Hi Dommy

From your description of the fruits, it might be Platanus acerifolia, the
London Plane.

Chrissie
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Old 16-11-2003, 06:45 PM
Registered User

Location: London

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGardener
"dommy" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

From your description of the fruits, it might be Platanus acerifolia, the
London Plane.

Chrissie
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Many many thanks thegarderner. Done a search and it is indeed the Platanus,

http://www.grzyby.pl/rosliny/gatunki...acerifolia.htm

Cheers mate
Old 16-11-2003, 09:12 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:57:15 GMT, dommy
wrote:

There is a missive tree in a field behind my garden. It drops shed
loads of leaves which I use to make beautiful leave mould from.

From your description of the "balls" and leaves it sounds like London
Plane. Is that possible?

Pam in Bristol

Old 16-11-2003, 10:36 PM
Philip

wrote:

There is a missive tree in a field behind my garden. It drops shed
loads of leaves which I use to make beautiful leave mould from.

From your description of the "balls" and leaves it sounds like London
Plane. Is that possible?

Pam in Bristol

Does anyone have any experience of trying to grow Plane trees from their
seed ?

I am assuming that the balls do actually contain seed.

Old 17-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:29:09 -0000, "Philip"
wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of trying to grow Plane trees from their
seed ?

Yes I did once germinate some but they died off during the first
winter!!

Pam in Bristol
Old 17-11-2003, 12:04 PM
Philip

wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of trying to grow Plane trees from their
seed ?

Yes I did once germinate some but they died off during the first
winter!!

Pam in Bristol

Oh , I am sorry I did not intend to intrude upon your grief. ;^D

I may well give it a try then. Here in a grey overcast Clerkenwell I
can count 50 + Planes within 10 mins walk of where I work.
Old 17-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:
wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of trying to grow Plane trees from their
seed ?

Yes I did once germinate some but they died off during the first
winter!!

I thought they were supposed to be sterile.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 17-11-2003, 04:32 PM
martin

wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of trying to grow Plane trees from their
seed ?

Yes I did once germinate some but they died off during the first
winter!!

I thought they were supposed to be sterile.

Like Ian in Eastenders?
--
Martin

Old 17-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
wrote:

I thought they were supposed to be sterile.

Like Ian in Eastenders?

Never heard on 'im. Don't goggle at the haunted fishtank.