GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Blue-green grassy type stuff in lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/47366-blue-green-grassy-type-stuff-lawn.html)

Ian Cundell 16-11-2003 05:23 PM

Blue-green grassy type stuff in lawn

Hello,

In the past few days or so I've had what look like tufts of blue-green
grass come up under my bird table (the colour stands out against he
lawn). Except up close it doesn't really look like grass. Blue-green,
slightly feathery in appearance, couple of inches high. Very dark/ black
nearer the soil. There is a single isolated tuft a few feet from the
bird table.

Where it has come up borders an area that went bare after the starlings
started turfing the seeds out of the feeder and onto the lawn (bless
'em). I usually only use the Hi-Energy No Mess (Ha!) stuff, 'cos the
birds love it. I got some own-brand seed/ grain mix from Ayletts last
week (which is nowhere near as popular). I wonder if it is the outcome
of some spilled seed?

Any idea what it is?