Old 17-11-2003, 10:13 AM
Philip

Default Trees in Clarence Street - Kingston upon Thames

Hi

Hoping that someone is familiar with Clarence Street in Kingston.
There are trees planted in the pedestrianised part of Clarence Street
which are sporting shiny brown acorns. The leaves of this tree are
dark green and shiny at the moment and not at all Oak like in
appearance.

Are these Holm Oaks? Normally I avoid Kingston at all costs so I
cannot confirm if these trees loose their leaves at all.

Phil
Old 17-11-2003, 10:32 AM

"Philip" wrote in message
m...
: Hi
:
: Hoping that someone is familiar with Clarence Street in Kingston.
: There are trees planted in the pedestrianised part of Clarence Street
: which are sporting shiny brown acorns. The leaves of this tree are
: dark green and shiny at the moment and not at all Oak like in
: appearance.
:
: Are these Holm Oaks? Normally I avoid Kingston at all costs so I
: cannot confirm if these trees loose their leaves at all.
:
: Phil

I'm familiar with Clarence St KoT but haven't particularly noticed the
trees.

Why don't you do a Google image search for Holm Oaks?

Old 17-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Philip

: There are trees planted in the pedestrianised part of Clarence Street
: which are sporting shiny brown acorns. The leaves of this tree are
: dark green and shiny at the moment and not at all Oak like in
: appearance.
:
: Are these Holm Oaks? Normally I avoid Kingston at all costs so I
: cannot confirm if these trees loose their leaves at all.
:
: Phil

I'm familiar with Clarence St KoT but haven't particularly noticed the
trees.

Why don't you do a Google image search for Holm Oaks?

I went to Kingston for a meeting one evening. It was dark and I had
to hang around waiting for my wife. As I was pacing up and down I
stepped on a fallen acorn. I thought "where did that come from" the
only viable candidate being the glossy looking tree right near me.

Anyway to cut a long story short I picked a few acorns (7 in total)
and omitted to look at the shape and appearance of the tree, the shape
of the leaves or anything remotely useful to aid identification.

Hence my question/request for assistance to/from anyone who frequents
that area.

Anyway, to tidy up any loose ends, my wife eventually arrived, the
meeting we were attending was cancelled. The acorns are now under 1.5
inches of soil in a pot in my garden, and I am hoping that the
sqirrels did not see me put them in there.