Old 24-11-2003, 12:17 AM
Jane Ransom

Default OT. new antispam laws in the US

In article , martin
writes
~Believe me BOUNCING SPAM WORKS )))))))))))))

How does one do it please? I have a really old version of Agent and I
don't think it can bounce stuff.

I use Turnpike so can't tell you if Agent has that capability - sorry

You have to use something like Mailwasher.

No you don't, you just have to use a good mail reader - we use Turnpike.

Unfortunately some Spam
uses forged FROM: and you could get into trouble by bouncing to
innocent people.

The spammers from harvested addresses are businesses touting for more
business - they want replies to their adverts, they do not want bounced
stuff. Therefore they take you off their mailing list if you do not
appear to be a valid address.

Most spammer sites ignore bounced mail.

Nope . . . . you are WRONG.
After bouncing the mails that came to us after my husband's little
lapse, WE DO NOT RECEIVE ANY SPAM on that mailbox.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 24-11-2003, 12:17 AM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:33:00 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:17:50 +0000, Jane Ransom
wrote:

~In article , martin
writes
~
~I have had a ten fold increase in spam over the last couple of days.
~
~We have found that if you bounce spams (envelope rejection), you are
~soon taken off the mailing lists. When the address harvesters guarantee
~to provide, x million active addresses, they mean *active*. A bounce is
~not an active address!!
~
~We know this because recently, when my spousal unit got his new machine,
~he sent just *one* measly little post to his news group before
~remembering to hide his email address. Within hours we were receiving
~spams and within 24 this amounted to dozens. We then changed our active
~mail box and bounced everything from the old mail box. Within a week we
~were receiving only the odd spam and now don't seem to receive any.
~
~Believe me BOUNCING SPAM WORKS )))))))))))))

How does one do it please? I have a really old version of Agent and I
don't think it can bounce stuff.

You have to use something like Mailwasher. Unfortunately some Spam
uses forged FROM: and you could get into trouble by bouncing to
innocent people. Most spammer sites ignore bounced mail.

I used to use Mailwasher before I got my ISP to filter out my spam. I never
noticed any significant drop in spam which I could associate with whether I
bounced or just deleted.

Franz

Old 24-11-2003, 12:17 AM
jane

(jane) wrote:
~
~On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:17:50 +0000, Jane Ransom
~wrote:
~
~~In article , martin
writes
~~
[...]

A lot of my spam is bounced stuff that has me forged as the sender. I
am forever emailing Demon abuse saying that I've been used yet again
and please not to think I'm a spammer if anyone complains.

250+ today and counting... one useful mail.
Sadly I suspect that posting here has upped my visibility so that I'm
getting more. Though I can filter out a lot of it - anyone I know goes
into folders immediately, obvious spam gets filtered by keywords into
a junk folder for immediate deletion without reading (or I get
incensed at the filth) and I get about 20 to vet. Obviously, I'd
rather not have to...

Unfortunately, occasionally I delete a genuine mail from someone who
hasn't mailed me before. *sigh*

I think I'm going to have to switch to a different username and bin
anything to jane. That should remove the rest of the spam or at least
make it 100% filterable.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 24-11-2003, 12:32 AM
David Hill

........So how do you account for the fact that we now receive no Spam on
that mail box? ........"

I'd say that you were lucky.
I've been bouncing Spam now for almost 2 months and in that time it has more
than doubled.Many of the spamers use a different address and name 2 or 3
times a day.
What gets to me are all the offers we get that when you check say Residents
of US only, I think that this sort of thing makes up around 20% of what I
get, You ask to be removed, you bounce it and still it comes daily.
Oh yes..I am using Mailwasher.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 24-11-2003, 09:34 AM

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , David david.simp
writes

But just about all the return addresses are false Jane,

So how do you account for the fact that we now receive no spam on that
mail box?

I don't know, unless something else has changed but it is a fact that
the spammers don't send from valid addresses (unless they're using an
unsuspecting host) they really *don't* see any replies (bounced or
otherwise).
The bit about they only use valid email addresses, well, they would say
that anyway wouldn't they
When the huge increase in junk started a while back I set up the
rejection rules to bounce most of it but it's still coming, 138 rejected
this morning with 7 getting through, I'm continually reviewing the rules
to fine tune.
One of the most popular addresses is which
is an easy one to block, I reject anything from aol and yahoo plus a few
smaller ones and unrecognised email names. I must admit there is a small
amount of satisfaction is seeing stuff bounced, is that sad?
--
David

Old 24-11-2003, 10:05 AM
martin

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:45:30 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

I used to use Mailwasher before I got my ISP to filter out my spam. I never
noticed any significant drop in spam which I could associate with whether I
bounced or just deleted.

that's in line with what I have read on other newsgroups.
--
Martin
Old 24-11-2003, 10:05 AM
martin

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 23:00:13 +0000, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article , David david.simp
writes

But just about all the return addresses are false Jane,

So how do you account for the fact that we now receive no spam on that
mail box?

I can't. Nor can I account for your experience being different to most
other peoples. I'd say you are lucky.
--
Martin

Old 24-11-2003, 11:59 AM
jane

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:11:38 +0000, Jane Ransom
wrote:

[...]

Mailwasher downloaded and installed. Neat.

I'll give it a go and let you know what happens next time an antispam
thread appears!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 24-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Jane Ransom contains these words:

Most spammer sites ignore bounced mail.

Nope . . . . you are WRONG.
After bouncing the mails that came to us after my husband's little
lapse, WE DO NOT RECEIVE ANY SPAM on that mailbox.

Not until a new CD of 'working addresses' goes on the market.

Most of these spammers only use the list once anyway, and never see the
bounces or even know about them.

All they are interested in is the very small proportion of hits that
generate replies to a website (I'd guess, never having read any of
them.).

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 24-11-2003, 01:04 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Jane Ransom contains these words:
In article , David david.simp
writes

But just about all the return addresses are false Jane,

So how do you account for the fact that we now receive no spam on that
mail box?

That list has been superceded by new ones. I can promise you that you
*WILL* get spam on it from time-to-time, when a random address generator
aims at your ISP.

--
Rusty Hinge

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

Even chickens get a better life under new animal laws [email protected] United Kingdom 0 15-07-2004 02:16 PM
LAWS ABOUT DIVERTING WATER janet Ponds 24 22-01-2004 10:53 PM
LAWS ABOUT DIVERTING WATER janet Ponds 0 19-01-2004 11:01 PM
Monsanto Uses Canadian Taxpayer Money to Violate Foreign Laws Case highlights need for strong Biosaf Tom Jaszewski Gardening 0 02-09-2003 06:02 AM
Messy laws Starlord Gardening 5 26-04-2003 02:20 PM