Old 23-11-2003, 10:32 PM
GoldDustRhiannon

Default Is it too late to plant bulbs?

Both my garden centre and B&Q have replaced their bulb sections with Xmas junk.
I guess this means I've left it too late to put in some bulbs for spring
flowers? Grrrr.

Lorraine
Old 23-11-2003, 11:17 PM
shazzbat

"GoldDustRhiannon" wrote in message
Both my garden centre and B&Q have replaced their bulb sections with Xmas

junk.
I guess this means I've left it too late to put in some bulbs for spring
flowers? Grrrr.

Lorraine

No. Bung 'em in, they'll make it.

Steve

Old 23-11-2003, 11:17 PM
Jane Ransom

In article ,
GoldDustRhiannon writes
Both my garden centre and B&Q have replaced their bulb sections with Xmas junk.
I guess this means I've left it too late to put in some bulbs for spring
flowers? Grrrr.

It's never too late to plant - you may not get many flowers this year,
but you will in subsequent years.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 23-11-2003, 11:18 PM
Jane Ransom

In article ,
GoldDustRhiannon writes

Old 24-11-2003, 07:42 AM
Tumbleweed

"GoldDustRhiannon" wrote in message
Both my garden centre and B&Q have replaced their bulb sections with Xmas

junk.
I guess this means I've left it too late to put in some bulbs for spring
flowers? Grrrr.

Lorraine

No it means they'll make more profit from selling xmas stuff than bulbs.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 24-11-2003, 12:04 PM
Spider

Plant merrily away! The other are right - your bulbs will certainly make
it. I'm still seeing bulbs for sale locally, at half price. Wonderful!
However, if they've been sitting in a warm shop/your warm home, take care to
acclimatise them.

I've got so many bulbs in the ground now, that I pot mine up (still 100s at
a time!) and keep thim in my chilly mini-greenhouse until spring. Then,
when the existing planted bulbs perform, I can see where to plant out the
new bulbs for optimum effect.

I'm sure you can see that this would work perfectly for bulbs that need a
period of acclimatisation.
Spider

Old 24-11-2003, 06:23 PM
JennyC

"GoldDustRhiannon" wrote in message
Both my garden centre and B&Q have replaced their bulb sections with Xmas

junk.
I guess this means I've left it too late to put in some bulbs for spring
flowers? Grrrr.

Lorraine

It's not to late, they will just come up and flower later than usual.
Planting is always better than leaving them out of the ground
Jenny

Old 24-11-2003, 07:03 PM
David Hill

"...........It's probably too late for daffodils but most others should be
o.k. ......."

A few years ago I picked up a sack of double daffs late March, roots
everywhere.
Planted them and they were in flower in less than 6 weeks, very few flowers
the following year but they have flowered well every year since then.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 26-11-2003, 02:04 PM
Sacha

Tony Bull24/11/03 5:23
com

ojunk (GoldDustRhiannon) wrote in message
Both my garden centre and B&Q have replaced their bulb sections with Xmas
junk.
I guess this means I've left it too late to put in some bulbs for spring
flowers? Grrrr.

Lorraine

It's probably too late for daffodils but most others should be o.k.
But as one writer said you may not get many flowers in the first season.
Tony Bull
www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk

We're just getting round to putting in tulip bulbs now. BTW, has anyone
else heard/read/known that burying them about 8" deep makes them display
better year after year?
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 26-11-2003, 02:32 PM
jane

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:59:23 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

~Tony Bull24/11/03 5:23
.
~com
~
~ ojunk (GoldDustRhiannon) wrote in message
~ ...
~ Both my garden centre and B&Q have replaced their bulb sections with Xmas
~ junk.
~ I guess this means I've left it too late to put in some bulbs for spring
~ flowers? Grrrr.
~
~ Lorraine
~
~ It's probably too late for daffodils but most others should be o.k.
~ But as one writer said you may not get many flowers in the first season.
~ Tony Bull
www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk
~
~We're just getting round to putting in tulip bulbs now. BTW, has anyone
~else heard/read/known that burying them about 8" deep makes them display
~better year after year?

You mean like Sarah Raven said on GW the other week?

I hadn't heard it until then.

--
jane

Mark Twain