GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hippeastrum Papilio / Butterfly Amaryllis (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/47738-hippeastrum-papilio-butterfly-amaryllis.html)

Victoria Clare 24-11-2003 02:03 PM

Hippeastrum Papilio / Butterfly Amaryllis

I've just acquired one of these. It was a bare bulb when I got it a week or
so ago, and is now sending up new leaves.

However, I vaguely recollect that the Amaryllis bulb I had as a child (that
one had deep red flowers, I forget the variety) had quite strong thick
green leaves.

I have this plant near a north-facing window (though not on the sill, as
it's too narrow), and the new leaves are quite a pale green, with a slight
reddish flush at the tips, and seem thinner than I remember.

I'm a bit concerned by the pale leaves that it might not be getting enough
light. Should I move it to a south-facing windowsill?

If you've got one, what do the leaves look like? How variable are
hippeastrum leaves anyway?

Victoria Clare
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Nick Maclaren 24-11-2003 02:15 PM

Hippeastrum Papilio / Butterfly Amaryllis

In article ,
Victoria Clare writes:
| I've just acquired one of these. It was a bare bulb when I got it a week or
| so ago, and is now sending up new leaves.
|
| However, I vaguely recollect that the Amaryllis bulb I had as a child (that
| one had deep red flowers, I forget the variety) had quite strong thick
| green leaves.
|
| I have this plant near a north-facing window (though not on the sill, as
| it's too narrow), and the new leaves are quite a pale green, with a slight
| reddish flush at the tips, and seem thinner than I remember.
|
| I'm a bit concerned by the pale leaves that it might not be getting enough
| light. Should I move it to a south-facing windowsill?

Almost certainly. The winter sun in the UK is so feeble that
even the most extreme "no direct sunlight" plants are likely to
be better off with a south-facing window. And amaryllis is not
one such, as far as I know.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Victoria Clare 24-11-2003 03:07 PM

Hippeastrum Papilio / Butterfly Amaryllis

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in
:

In article ,
Victoria Clare writes:

| I'm a bit concerned by the pale leaves that it might not be getting
| enough light. Should I move it to a south-facing windowsill?

Almost certainly. The winter sun in the UK is so feeble that
even the most extreme "no direct sunlight" plants are likely to
be better off with a south-facing window. And amaryllis is not
one such, as far as I know.

Oh drat. My southfacing windowsills are mostly booked. I was hoping
Papilio might have naturally pale leaves. I've pu a mirror behind it, so
at least it is getting light on both sides now.

I know you are quite right about even shadelovers prefering more sun in
winter.

I recently moved an orchid from a north to southfacing window for the
winter, and it is absolutely delighted. New roots are sprouting out all
over, and buds are swelling...

Victoria

Kay Easton 24-11-2003 05:07 PM

Hippeastrum Papilio / Butterfly Amaryllis

In article , Victoria
Clare writes
I've just acquired one of these. It was a bare bulb when I got it a week or
so ago, and is now sending up new leaves.

However, I vaguely recollect that the Amaryllis bulb I had as a child (that
one had deep red flowers, I forget the variety) had quite strong thick
green leaves.

I have this plant near a north-facing window (though not on the sill, as
it's too narrow), and the new leaves are quite a pale green, with a slight
reddish flush at the tips, and seem thinner than I remember.

How long are they? ISTR they come through pale and colour up as they hit
the light.

I'm a bit concerned by the pale leaves that it might not be getting enough
light. Should I move it to a south-facing windowsill?

I grow mine on S facing - more light = shorter flowering stem - sturdy
15 inches as opposed to lanky 2.5 feet.

If you've got one, what do the leaves look like?

colour and texture of bluebell leaves, over an inch wide.
Flower can appear before or after leaves, looks like leaf bud to begin
with but with a vertical groove.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: