Old 28-11-2003, 09:43 AM
Michael Savage

Default Working with soil warming cables

Hi all

Didn't come up with answer on Google so here goes...

I've been lucky enough to be given some soil warming cable and a couple of
old thermostats. However, the cable is 26m long! I am planning on making 2-3
propagators, cold frame heaters with it. Can I treat it like any other
electrical cable in terms of cutting, junctions etc or are there any special
techniques I need to be aware of?

Michael S
(now a dad BTW for those who sent good wishes with last thread!)

Old 28-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Cerumen

"Michael Savage" wrote in
message .. .
Hi all

Didn't come up with answer on Google so here goes...

I've been lucky enough to be given some soil warming cable and a couple

of
old thermostats. However, the cable is 26m long! I am planning on making

2-3
propagators, cold frame heaters with it. Can I treat it like any other
electrical cable in terms of cutting, junctions etc or are there any

special
techniques I need to be aware of?

It can be cut and linked back together with normal cable but if you
discard any great length of the heating cable that will proportionally
decrease the resistance and increase the temperature it reaches so you
have to be very careful. All joints that you make must of course be
weather tight and suitable for out door use. Are you aware of what voltage
and current it is rated for?
Feel free to email me for further detailed advice, my reply to address
works.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 28-11-2003, 10:05 PM
David Hill

"..........I've been lucky enough to be given some soil warming cable and a
couple of old thermostats ......."

firstly I would fit a plug and check if the cable is working.
I have 3 old cables not used for a few years and no sign of life in any of
them.
I was told that moisture can get in and finish the cables if they are left
in the beds and not used for a year or two.

Also remember you put the cable at 6 to 8 inch spacing so a 3ft wide
propagating bed will need 6 lengths of cable so you have enough for about 17
ft of bed altogether. Useful size.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 01-12-2003, 08:14 PM
pronoun

I intend to control my cable with a dimmer switch. Experiment shows it will
work, when I'm fit enough to get around to it. The instructions advise not
to cut the cable.