Old 28-11-2003, 08:33 PM
David Rose

Default "Spearwell" spades

I have used a faithful Spearwell spade for almost 40 years, with the sharp
end of the spade conveniently getting smaller year by year as I have aged.

It is time to buy a spade (for the next 40 years?!), but an internet search
draws a blank with "Spearwell". I assume they went out of business / were
taken over. Can anyone tell me what happened to Spearwell and whether their
successor spades are still made under another name?

David Rose

Old 29-11-2003, 02:04 AM
John Flax

"David Rose" wrote in message
I have used a faithful Spearwell spade for almost 40 years, with the sharp
end of the spade conveniently getting smaller year by year as I have aged.

It is time to buy a spade (for the next 40 years?!), but an internet

search
draws a blank with "Spearwell". I assume they went out of business / were
taken over. Can anyone tell me what happened to Spearwell and whether

their
successor spades are still made under another name?

David Rose

Open http://www.spear-and-jackson.com/

Click on 'Our History'

Scroll down to 'Click the image above to view the Company Tree'

As I read the 'tree' Spearwell brand was founded in 1967 and became 'Spear &
Jackson' in 1971.

Old 29-11-2003, 07:43 AM
David Rose

John,

Thank you for this. I must have bought one of the first in 1967, when I
first got "into gardening".

David.

[my original message deleted].

Old 29-11-2003, 03:05 PM
richard.sadler

Similarly to your experience with," Spearwell", only the maker of my spade
was," Neverbend", wooden stock and with a "T" handle, purchased in 1951.
This spade is now down to 7" in depth and still useful as a skimmer. I had
been looking for a replacement for some time, and counted myself very
fortunate when I tripped over one in, " Makro". The present owner of this
brand, like yours being, " Spear and Jackson". Must be intending to take
over the World. "David Rose" wrote in
message ...
John,

Thank you for this. I must have bought one of the first in 1967, when I
first got "into gardening".

David.

[my original message deleted].

"Azada" alternative to spades, anyone? neilr United Kingdom 5 18-10-2006 02:34 PM
"Azada" alternative to spades, anyone? Paul United Kingdom 1 17-10-2006 11:01 PM
Serious forks & spades Doug Kanter Gardening 15 26-08-2004 01:58 AM
Special spades Cicero United Kingdom 6 24-01-2004 11:33 PM
Sharpening spades DLee United Kingdom 16 13-10-2003 01:12 PM