GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Irish Peat (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/47914-irish-peat.html)

BroJack 29-11-2003 12:12 PM

Irish Peat

Is this resource nearly exhausted? Is it still used for heating rural
homes?

Jack

Ted Richardson 29-11-2003 02:16 PM

Irish Peat

"BroJack" wrote in message
s.com...
: Is this resource nearly exhausted? Is it still used for heating rural
: homes?
:
: Jack

Is it still used to fuel the electricity generating station?

Ted R

Jaques d'Alltrades 29-11-2003 04:26 PM

Irish Peat

The message m
from (BroJack) contains these words:

Is this resource nearly exhausted? Is it still used for heating rural
homes?

No, and yes.

--
Rusty Hinge

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

David Hill 29-11-2003 05:49 PM

Irish Peat

".......Is this resource nearly exhausted? Is it still used for heating
rural homes? .............."

60% of the peat is still used as power station fuel, so till that stops I
will carry on recycling peat.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

BroJack 29-11-2003 06:09 PM

Irish Peat

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 17:37:26 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

".......Is this resource nearly exhausted? Is it still used for heating
rural homes? .............."

60% of the peat is still used as power station fuel, so till that stops I
will carry on recycling peat.

Excuse my ignorance but peat can be recycled?

Jack

Janet Baraclough 29-11-2003 07:18 PM

Irish Peat

wrote:

".......Is this resource nearly exhausted? Is it still used for heating
rural homes? .............."

60% of the peat is still used as power station fuel, so till that stops I
will carry on recycling peat.

Excuse my ignorance but peat can be recycled?

Yes; it can be (and is) filtered out of water supplies, dried and re-used.

Janet.

Franz Heymann 29-11-2003 09:22 PM

Irish Peat

"David Hill" wrote in message
".......Is this resource nearly exhausted? Is it still used for heating
rural homes? .............."

60% of the peat is still used as power station fuel, so till that stops I
will carry on recycling peat.

How do you set about the recycling? I presume you add fertiliser and
possibly lime if you want to make recycled potting compost. How much of
what do you add?

Franz

David Hill 29-11-2003 11:16 PM

Irish Peat

"............Excuse my ignorance but peat can be recycled? ........"

Well as far as I am concerned, if the peat returns to the ground and ferns
and heathers grow from it then I consider it to have been recycled, which
you cant do when you have burned it.

Cerumen 30-11-2003 07:44 PM

Irish Peat

"BroJack" wrote in message
s.com...
Is this resource nearly exhausted? Is it still used for heating rural
homes?

And what do use to heat your troll home?
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork