Old 30-11-2003, 01:04 PM
ajr

Default Composter

Good afternoon,

I bought a composter about a month ago, and filled it as per instructions
found on a few gardening sites, as well as following tips on the Newsgroup
archive.

As far as I am aware I've followed 'best prctice' - a good mix of peelings,
cuttings from the garden, as well as some grass (not too much!), a bit of
cardboard and some mature to activate the mixture.

The problem that I have is that nothing appears to be happening. Is this
due to one of the following?

1. It's too cold this time of year for the process to start?

2. I should be using a different activator?

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards,

Andrew

Old 30-11-2003, 02:23 PM
martin

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:59:59 -0000, "ajr" wrote:

Good afternoon,

I bought a composter about a month ago, and filled it as per instructions
found on a few gardening sites, as well as following tips on the Newsgroup
archive.

As far as I am aware I've followed 'best prctice' - a good mix of peelings,
cuttings from the garden, as well as some grass (not too much!), a bit of
cardboard and some mature to activate the mixture.

The problem that I have is that nothing appears to be happening. Is this
due to one of the following?

1. It's too cold this time of year for the process to start?

2. I should be using a different activator?

Any advice gratefully received.

the unanimous advice given here was to urinate on it. My case comes up
next week...
--
Martin
Old 30-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Ophelia

"martin" wrote in message
[...]

LOL

I do think one month is a wee bit too soon for looking for action eg

I leave mine in for up to a year before I start to look for the good stuff

Old 30-11-2003, 02:42 PM
martin

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:19:40 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I knew I'd get no support from you :-)

I do think one month is a wee bit too soon for looking for action eg

I leave mine in for up to a year before I start to look for the good stuff

Don't forget you have a yellow card. No double entendres please :-)
--
Martin
Old 30-11-2003, 04:05 PM
ajr

"martin" wrote in message
[...]

:-)

Umm.... looks as though I am going to have to explain a few things to the
neighbours!

Old 30-11-2003, 04:06 PM
martin

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 15:42:47 -0000, "ajr" wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

and this too?
http://www.scarboroughtoday.co.uk/Vi...ticleID=699207
--
Martin
Old 30-11-2003, 04:06 PM
Ophelia

"martin" wrote in message

Don't forget you have a yellow card. No double entendres please :-)

Yeah.. we might get told off again *weg*

Old 30-11-2003, 04:06 PM
martin

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:51:34 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message

Don't forget you have a yellow card. No double entendres please :-)

Yeah.. we might get told off again *weg*

gawd you are so provocative :-)

(weg?)
--
Martin
Old 30-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Kay Easton

In article , ajr
writes
Good afternoon,

I bought a composter about a month ago, and filled it as per instructions
found on a few gardening sites, as well as following tips on the Newsgroup
archive.

As far as I am aware I've followed 'best prctice' - a good mix of peelings,
cuttings from the garden, as well as some grass (not too much!), a bit of
cardboard and some mature to activate the mixture.

The problem that I have is that nothing appears to be happening. Is this
due to one of the following?

1. It's too cold this time of year for the process to start?

Yes. It will compost very slowly at this time of year. Just add to it as
the stuff slowly settles and don't worry. The top bit won't rot - you
need to dig down to get to the rotted stuff. have a look in April and
see what you've got then.

2. I should be using a different activator?

Activator speeds things up but isn't necessary.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 30-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Ophelia

wrote:

"martin" wrote in message

Don't forget you have a yellow card. No double entendres please :-)

Yeah.. we might get told off again *weg*

gawd you are so provocative :-)

wicked evil grin

provocative???? how's that then??

Old 30-11-2003, 10:23 PM
Mike Tickle

the unanimous advice given here was to urinate on it. My case comes up
next week...

I "activated" mine the week before last with a litre of activator. When do
I need to do it again? Is it natural for the fresh manure I put in the top
to start sprouting?

Mike

Old 01-12-2003, 02:17 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Kay Easton
writes
[...]

Adding something like Garotta and some ammonium sulphate to a brand new
sterile heap probably does help things to get going though. What is
really difficult is to get a small compost heap to go reliably. It has
to be wet enough to rot, but not so wet it is soggy and anaerobic. That
balance always seems to be much easier to reach on a large scale heap.

A big enough heap even in mid winter with snow on the ground can still
generate a huge amount of heat. I remember a big forest heap full of
pine trimmings from Xmas trees which amazingly became mad hot after just
a few days. It smelt incredible too!

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 02-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Oxymel of Squill

a month ago??
it takes a year, even in these clever plastic bins

news

Old 02-12-2003, 06:22 PM
Gary Woods

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote:

it takes a year, even in these clever plastic bins

Disagree: Look up "Indore (sp?) two-week method"

With a bunch of caveats: material must be shredded; Carbon:Nitrogen radio
must be right; proper moisture/aeration, etc to make the pile heat up
rapidly.

Having said that, I don't like to work that hard, so I use the "pile it up;
let it rot" method, using several heaps under a copse of pine trees in the
corner of the yard.

I admit to having more room and fewer neighbors than many here {:-)

COMPOSTER Pkgillespie Lawns 0 05-05-2003 10:57 PM
San Jose/Santa Clara County horse manure for composter. The Gardners Edible Gardening 3 23-04-2003 10:20 PM
COMPOSTER Pkgillespie Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
COMPOSTER Pkgillespie Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
COMPOSTER Pkgillespie Lawns 0 02-12-2002 12:06 PM