Old 04-12-2003, 09:44 PM
Pam Moore

Default Freaky citrus

Earlier this year I bought at Ikea a Citrus Mitis (Calamondin Orange)
with lots of beautifully scented flowers.
It has now set friut; about the size of a cherry tomato and very
bitter, but quite attractive.
HOWEVER, it is obviously grafted, as at the point of the graft is what
appears to be a reasonable sized lemon. There are no leaves at the
graft point, only the green lemon on a short stem.
I don't know whether to leave it as it is, or to cut off the lemon, or
possibly if leaves do appear by the lemon to cut the top off and keep
it for lemons.
Did anyone else get one at Ikea or has had one from elsewhere? At
what point do I scrap the fruit if I decide to keep it as it is
intended, in order to get flowers again?
What sort of quality of lemon is used as the stock for the graft?
Advice greatly appreciated.

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-12-2003, 12:36 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

Earlier this year I bought at Ikea a Citrus Mitis (Calamondin Orange)
with lots of beautifully scented flowers.
It has now set friut; about the size of a cherry tomato and very
bitter, but quite attractive.
HOWEVER, it is obviously grafted, as at the point of the graft is what
appears to be a reasonable sized lemon. There are no leaves at the
graft point, only the green lemon on a short stem.
I don't know whether to leave it as it is, or to cut off the lemon, or
possibly if leaves do appear by the lemon to cut the top off and keep
it for lemons.

I'd leave it as it is. It can't do any harm. The pips might grow into
something quite interesting.

Did anyone else get one at Ikea or has had one from elsewhere? At
what point do I scrap the fruit if I decide to keep it as it is
intended, in order to get flowers again?

When they're ripe. Just try to stop it flowering......

The oranges might make a good wine. Worth a try.

What sort of quality of lemon is used as the stock for the graft?
Advice greatly appreciated.

Pass.

However if you're anywhere in East Anglia I have a few spare yearling
lemon trees.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 06-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 23:50:28 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

However if you're anywhere in East Anglia I have a few spare yearling
lemon trees.

Thanks "Rusty" but I'm on the other side of the country. Thanks for
your advice. I think I will leave it for now, anyway, at least until
the lemon ripens! Next summer I may get more idea of where it is
going.

Pam in Bristol

Old 07-12-2003, 12:09 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

wrote:

However if you're anywhere in East Anglia I have a few spare yearling
lemon trees.

Thanks "Rusty" but I'm on the other side of the country. Thanks for
your advice. I think I will leave it for now, anyway, at least until
the lemon ripens! Next summer I may get more idea of where it is
going.

And if I'd looked at your sig before marking the text to reply to, I
would have known...

One of my lemon seedlings is well over two feet high. They aren't
difficult to grow as long as you keep fungi out of the seed compost.

Old 09-12-2003, 12:32 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
snip
However if you're anywhere in East Anglia I have a few spare yearling
lemon trees.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Do you manage to grow the lemon trees outside?
Or do they have to come in for the winter?
Not sure how frost hardy they are, but we seem to be doing pretty well so
far on the Suffolk Coast; not one hard frost.

Cheers
Dave R

Old 09-12-2003, 12:42 PM
martin

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 12:24:03 -0000, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
snip
However if you're anywhere in East Anglia I have a few spare yearling
lemon trees.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Do you manage to grow the lemon trees outside?
Or do they have to come in for the winter?

In Mainau, Lake Constance the orange and lemon trees are taken inside
during winter - so much for their subtropical micro climate.

Not sure how frost hardy they are, but we seem to be doing pretty well so
far on the Suffolk Coast; not one hard frost.

You are lucky on the other side of the North Sea we have had several
days of hard frost. At least the sun is shining again after weeks of
gloom.
--
Martin
Old 09-12-2003, 01:04 PM
Sacha

David W.E. Roberts9/12/03 12:24

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
snip
However if you're anywhere in East Anglia I have a few spare yearling
lemon trees.

--
Rusty Hinge

Do you manage to grow the lemon trees outside?
Or do they have to come in for the winter?
Not sure how frost hardy they are, but we seem to be doing pretty well so
far on the Suffolk Coast; not one hard frost.

Apart from somewhere like David Poole's small walled garden, which has its
own micro-climate, I think you'd be *very* lucky to over-winter one with
certainty. We 'only' go to -5, sometimes and rarely -7 here but we wouldn't
risk them outside.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message

snip
However if you're anywhere in East Anglia I have a few spare yearling
lemon trees.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Do you manage to grow the lemon trees outside?
Or do they have to come in for the winter?
Not sure how frost hardy they are, but we seem to be doing pretty well so
far on the Suffolk Coast; not one hard frost.

They come in for the winter here in the Norfolk Alps.

Damned horizontal climbers would use them as hand-holds and footholds
otherwise.

Old 09-12-2003, 03:10 PM
martin

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 14:00:16 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

They come in for the winter here in the Norfolk Alps.

Damned horizontal climbers would use them as hand-holds and footholds
otherwise.

Not to mention social climbers, who are everywhere.
--
Martin