Old 21-12-2003, 10:11 PM
hugh

Default OT email from africa

In message , Steve
Harris writes
In article ,
(martin) wrote:

Re_Amsterdam one letter I had actually gave a Dutch mobile phone
number.

Extremely common (or garden :-)

but I called it and got an Idi Amin sounding voice

Yes, an african in Holland. It's allowed.

Recently, 103 (one hundred and three) Nigerians were arrested in Madrid
in connection with similar scams. Amsterdam is a MUCH bigger centre for
this sort of thing.

If you follow this up, you will be invited to Amsterdam where a
"protocol officer" will meet you at the airport and drive you to rented
offices. There they would convince you that the money existed (EG:
Showing you a box with some real dollar bills on the top few layers)

If at that point, you pay the requested fees, they will issue a receipt
and ask for the Anti-Terrorist/Drug Enforcement Certificates relating to
the cash. If, perchance you don't have this paperwork, they refer you to
someone who can fix it - for a further fee...

And if at any point, you turn up without a required fee, they will
remind you of the ever increasing storage charges or a risk that the
fund will be recalled to the Central Bank unless you act very soon ....

Violence is not required and would get the fraudster thrown out of
Europe possible via a jail.

There are many varieties - even variegated ones :-)

...and an endless supply of suckers it would seem!!!!
--
hugh
Old 02-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

Yes but an African fraud letter doesn't because it would fail totally if
it did (unless there's an alternative address in the body)

Bouncing mail back or even writing something rude wastes their time and
may take their mailbox over quota.

And if you're posting it back through your ISP they can do a 'whois?'
and you may well find an armed yardie on your doorstep.

DON'T MESS WITH THEM.

If everyone who got one of these messages replied to it, the fraudsters
would be unable to continue their scams, due to teh sheer volume of replies
they wouldnt be able to sort out the small proportion of 'real' replies from
gullible idiots. The well-meaning advice not to reply merely enables the
spammers to have the gullible sort themsleves out for the spammers, since
they are the only ones who will reply (plus the few who write amusing web
pages about them).

I suggest you talk to your local C.I.D.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 02-01-2004, 10:48 PM
Tumbleweed

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
[...]

Or the FBI, they also give out this advice. As I say, well meaning but
silly, even a simple reply with no text would nuke their email servers (far
easier to send than receive)

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 04-01-2004, 11:42 PM
doug.

In message , Tumbleweed
writes
[...]

I get 'em regularly. An African so-called important person is in
possession of some important papers but he needs a few thousand to
release a couple of million quid and he wants me in on it, etc. etc.
Please send five thousand for starters etc.etc.
He must think I've just come off the fells with the last shower of rain.
One wonders at the mentality of the fools who answer. There must be
some mugs sending money, because the crooks sending the letters must be
making money from somewhere otherwise they'd give up.
Chuck the daft things straight into the kitchen waste bin, I say.
--
Doug.

Old 05-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Registered User

Location: Lancashire

Quote:
Originally posted by doug.
In message , Tumbleweed
writes
[...]

Thanks everyone for all the advice,
I finally just deleted the email, but if i do get any more I will inform local police,
__________________
Anita X
Old 07-01-2004, 02:06 PM

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 23:12:29 +0000, "doug."
wrote:

In message , Tumbleweed
writes
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Another technique might be to make a few posts to usenet in their names, hopefully the harvesters will soon fill their mailboxes
Here's one a got recently.

And here's another one.

Old 07-01-2004, 02:47 PM

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 23:12:29 +0000, "doug."
wrote:

In message , Tumbleweed
writes