Old 14-12-2003, 08:37 PM
Kevin Ashcroft

Default Low Voltage Lighting

Apologies in advance of this is an inappropriate place
to post this question, however here I go.

I have recently purchased some low voltage lights from a DIY shop.

There are 6 lights linked by 15m of low voltage cable
which connects into a black transformer.

I have outside power sockets which this transformer plugs into,
however, the instructions tell you not to leave the transformer
outside. It should be inside the house or in a garden shed.

This is a pain as I have to disconnect and bring the transformer inside
everytime I am finished using it.

It seems crazy that lights purchased for outdoor use come with
a transformer which cannot sit outside.

Can you purchase transformers which will happily sit outside or
does anyone know of a small enclosure I could purchase, which the
transformer can sit inside quite happily and be protected?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Old 14-12-2003, 08:47 PM
JennyC

"Kevin Ashcroft" wrote in message
I have recently purchased some low voltage lights from a DIY shop.

snipped

I can think of two options:
1) drill a hole in the house wall and run the wire through
2) build some sort of box to go over/round the transformer. It will need
insulating against the wet

Maybe someone else has a better idea.......
Jenny

Old 14-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Salty Thumb

"Kevin Ashcroft" wrote in news:bricub$8cm$1
:

[...]

I don't know what the regulations are in England, but to me it seems like
a bad idea to leave anything especially a bulky transformer plugged in
outside. The problem with enclosures is if your insulating it from the
elements, you're more likely than not trapping heat. Personally, I'd run
additional cable to meet the length and leave it plugged in in indoors
and not bother with the outside outlet or enclosure.

But you might have better luck asking some place like alt.home.repair or
the DIY shop where you purchased it.
Old 14-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Cerumen

"Kevin Ashcroft" wrote in message
Apologies in advance of this is an inappropriate place
to post this question, however here I go.

I have recently purchased some low voltage lights from a DIY shop.

There are 6 lights linked by 15m of low voltage cable
which connects into a black transformer.

I have outside power sockets which this transformer plugs into,
however, the instructions tell you not to leave the transformer
outside. It should be inside the house or in a garden shed.

This is a pain as I have to disconnect and bring the transformer inside
everytime I am finished using it.

It seems crazy that lights purchased for outdoor use come with
a transformer which cannot sit outside.

It does indeed

Can you purchase transformers which will happily sit outside

Yes
or does anyone know of a small enclosure I could purchase, which the
transformer can sit inside quite happily and be protected?

Any plastic box that covered the transformer and could be weighted with
stones to avoid it blowing away would do.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 14-12-2003, 10:02 PM
The Q

[...]

It's not the tramsformer as such that needs protecting (unless unusually

yours is not sealed) but you need to stop rain getting into the socket while
the transformer is plugged in. So you need to cover the entire Socket and
protect it. What I've done is to fix a tupperware type box with the socket
inside it, the transformer lead runs into it from the bottom (a small slot)
then the lid clicked back on.

the Q

Old 14-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Dave Gower

"Kevin Ashcroft" wrote

I have recently purchased some low voltage lights from a DIY shop.

....the instructions tell you not to leave the transformer
outside. It should be inside the house or in a garden shed.

This is a pain as I have to disconnect and bring the transformer inside
everytime I am finished using it.

I have Noma yard lights and have left the transformer outside for the past
decade without a problem. It is protected from the rain, that's all.

If you don't have a sheltered spot just make up a little box or lid of some
kind to keep it dry.

Old 14-12-2003, 10:16 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Kevin Ashcroft
writes

Can you purchase transformers which will happily sit outside or
does anyone know of a small enclosure I could purchase, which the
transformer can sit inside quite happily and be protected?

You should be able to craft one from a tupperware container.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 14-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Mogie

Purchased ours at Walmart. The transformer is outside just built a little
sloping roof to cover it. This has been working for the past 4 years. No
problems.

Old 14-12-2003, 11:34 PM
VivienB

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:19:32 -0000, "Kevin Ashcroft"
wrote:

Can you purchase transformers which will happily sit outside or
does anyone know of a small enclosure I could purchase, which the
transformer can sit inside quite happily and be protected?

These people have one - they have been advertising a lot lately (I
have no connection whatsoever with them). www.greenbrook.co.uk

Regards, VivienB
Old 14-12-2003, 11:34 PM
martin

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:38:52 GMT, Salty Thumb
wrote:

[...]

and use an earth leakage detector.
--
Martin

Old 14-12-2003, 11:37 PM
martin

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:02:54 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Kevin Ashcroft
writes

Can you purchase transformers which will happily sit outside or
does anyone know of a small enclosure I could purchase, which the
transformer can sit inside quite happily and be protected?

You should be able to craft one from a tupperware container.

You are Valerie Singleton etc.
--
Martin
Old 15-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Bob Hobden

"Cerumen" wrote in message after Kevin

[...]

But make sure your transformer is off the ground under the cover to avoid
problems with heavy rain causing lying water to flood back under the cover.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
348 data units completed.

Old 15-12-2003, 09:08 PM
Cerumen

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Cerumen" wrote in message after Kevin

Any plastic box that covered the transformer and could be weighted

with
stones to avoid it blowing away would do.
--

But make sure your transformer is off the ground under the cover to

avoid
problems with heavy rain causing lying water to flood back under the

cover.

Indeed putting it in an area likely to be waterlogged would just be silly.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 15-12-2003, 09:15 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Ashcroft
[...]

Kevin,
As you are on a low voltage supply, you can purchase Plug & Socket from say B & Q or Homebase, they have "waterproof plugs / sockets, or even through connectors.

Cut your cable so that the transformer is indoors ( connected to a RCD socket i hope) take the end & attach the socket, plug to one end of an extension cable, socket to other end, then onto the lighting cable, join them, switch on.

Items & tools :
Extension cable length to suit ( 1 mm x 3 core )
Connector ( Water proof ) Qty. 2
Screwdriver, Cutters, Stanley knife.

Make sure the connectors are waterproof, they cost from £ 5 to
£ 15 each, the dearest being for a pond fountain pump.

If you have any problems let me know & i'll help further.
Good Luck
Electricsub
Old 19-12-2003, 05:25 PM
Gavin Wheeler

wrote:

Apologies in advance of this is an inappropriate place
to post this question, however here I go.

I have recently purchased some low voltage lights from a DIY shop.
[...]
I have outside power sockets which this transformer plugs into,
however, the instructions tell you not to leave the transformer
outside. It should be inside the house or in a garden shed.

[...]
Can you purchase transformers which will happily sit outside or
does anyone know of a small enclosure I could purchase, which the
transformer can sit inside quite happily and be protected?

You can get transformers which will sit outside, but you would have to
be certain that it gave exactly the right power supply. Easy enough if
you read the specs on the side of the thing, but you would probably
have to accept that the warranty would be void as you were not using
the 'approved' power supply.

I have seen enclosures that look like a green plastic rugby ball.
These are designed to fit around the socket end of power extension
cords, so you run the extension out into the garden, plug in
[whatever], then clip the rugby ball around the plug+socket to (more
or less) waterproof the assembly. If your transformer will fit inside
these things, that would probably do the trick - frost might be a
problem, but I suspect the real issue is that the transformer is not
guaranteed waterproof.

(I saw these enclosures in the Brondesbury park garden centre in
Cardigan, Wales, but I doubt that is convenient for you!)
Please remove "brain." before emailing me.
"Thtrap it to the bench and put a good thick bolt of lightning through
it, that'th our motto. That'th how you /tetht/ thomething!"
- Igor