Old 18-12-2003, 04:09 PM
Anthony Anson

Default Storing chillies

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains these words:
The message
from (jane) contains these words:

~| Seeds available with s.a.e.......
~
~Yes, please. Where should I send it to?
~

Could I have a few seeds too, please?
8-)

(And likewise)

emu dispatched.

And bounced.

--
Tony
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 18-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Anthony Anson

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:18:50 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:
The message
In article ,
martin writes:
| On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:30:02 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
| wrote:
| The message
| from
(Nick Maclaren) contains these words:

| | Seeds available with s.a.e.......
|
| Yes, please. Where should I send it to?
|
| Emu dispatched.
|
| Golden goose followed by turkey next?

Rheally!

Keep that up and you'll be ostricised.

don't put your head in the sand.

We won't have any moa of thet, thank you.

Old 20-12-2003, 10:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

Scotch Bonnet or habanero is a completely different critter than
jalapeno. Habanero is a small, (1-1.5") sort of apple-shaped (or
something like a mini-bell or sweet) pepper that ripens quickly from
green through yellow and orange stages. It is usually sold in US
markets in the orange phase. It is, if not the hottest, one of the
most potent chiles in the world.

Yes - I've got about seven pounds of those in my freezer. Should last me out.

Wear rubber gloves and googles while preparing them.......

A jalapeno is a 2-3" smooth, tapered
green chile that ripens to a deep red. It is moderate on the Scoville
scale of 'hotness' (amount of capsaicin). There are many
semi-consistent versions of relative chile potency available with a
search on "Scoville scale".

Maybe. These, grown from seed taken out of commercially grown and
supplied by the ton jalapinos, are not what I would like to encounter in
a salad on a dark night.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 21-12-2003, 09:32 AM
martin

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:51:01 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

Scotch Bonnet or habanero is a completely different critter than
jalapeno. Habanero is a small, (1-1.5") sort of apple-shaped (or
something like a mini-bell or sweet) pepper that ripens quickly from
green through yellow and orange stages. It is usually sold in US
markets in the orange phase. It is, if not the hottest, one of the
most potent chiles in the world.

Yes - I've got about seven pounds of those in my freezer. Should last me out.

Wear rubber gloves and googles while preparing them.......

and Superman underpants?
--
Martin

Old 21-12-2003, 11:42 AM
Frogleg

wrote:

The message from Frogleg contains these words:

A jalapeno is a 2-3" smooth, tapered
green chile that ripens to a deep red. It is moderate on the Scoville
scale of 'hotness' (amount of capsaicin). There are many
semi-consistent versions of relative chile potency available with a
search on "Scoville scale".

Maybe. These, grown from seed taken out of commercially grown and
supplied by the ton jalapinos, are not what I would like to encounter in
a salad on a dark night.

It is true that nearly all Capsicums vary in hotness. Gardeners
wrangle about whether this is due to strain, weather, soil, altitude,
moisture, etc. The representations of Scoville scale give a wide range
for most types. I.e. 1,000 to 1,500 for Anaheim (California) types;
2,500 to 5,000 for jalapenos; and 100,000 to 350,000 for habanero. I
must say that canned chipotles (smoked jalapenos) seem to have
considerably more zip than regular ol' green jalapanos I've grown or
bought. In the chile area, YMMV is quite appropriate. :-)
Old 21-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

Yes - I've got about seven pounds of those in my freezer. Should last
me out.

Wear rubber gloves and googles while preparing them.......

and Superman underpants?

Overpants, Shirley?

Old 21-12-2003, 02:12 PM
martin

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:46:43 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

Yes - I've got about seven pounds of those in my freezer. Should last
me out.

Wear rubber gloves and googles while preparing them.......

and Superman underpants?

Overpants, Shirley?

with strong chillies? If you value your googlies, definitely under.
--
Martin
Old 21-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Nick Maclaren

wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

and Superman underpants?

Overpants, Shirley?

with strong chillies? If you value your googlies, definitely under.

What is the younger generation coming to? Read the Kama Sutra or
some other suitable manual for the use of chillis in stimulating
such appendages ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

What is the younger generation coming to? Read the Kama Sutra or
some other suitable manual for the use of chillis in stimulating
such appendages ....

A good tip Nick, but the discussion is about storing them, we haven't
discussed old arab recipes *yet*

Depends where you're going to store them.

Old 22-12-2003, 09:12 AM
martin

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:58:15 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

What is the younger generation coming to? Read the Kama Sutra or
some other suitable manual for the use of chillis in stimulating
such appendages ....

A good tip Nick, but the discussion is about storing them, we haven't
discussed old arab recipes *yet*

Depends where you're going to store them.

You really do wear flame proof underpants over your trousers :-)
--
Martin

Chillies Not Flowering Sarah Dale United Kingdom 3 16-08-2003 12:33 AM
Chillies Kieron United Kingdom 7 27-07-2003 07:03 PM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors sprocket United Kingdom 25 19-04-2003 05:44 PM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors Martin Sykes Edible Gardening 3 24-02-2003 10:18 AM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors Martin Sykes Gardening 2 24-02-2003 10:17 AM