GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Storing chillies (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/48763-storing-chillies.html)

Sue da Nimm 17-12-2003 09:12 PM

Storing chillies

I've just picked the last of the chillies from the greenhouse. I've got a
good haul of Jalapenos and Rainbows.
I'm going to dry some of the Rainbows and freeze some along with some of the
Jalapenos. I'd like to pickle the rest of the Jalapenos - is there any
special technique?

martin 17-12-2003 09:39 PM

Storing chillies

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:11:35 -0000, "Sue da Nimm"
. wrote:

I've just picked the last of the chillies from the greenhouse. I've got a
good haul of Jalapenos and Rainbows.
I'm going to dry some of the Rainbows and freeze some along with some of the
Jalapenos. I'd like to pickle the rest of the Jalapenos - is there any
special technique?

see
http://web.bham.ac.uk/s.m.stocks.cen...illies/DIY.htm
--
Martin

Nick Maclaren 17-12-2003 09:39 PM

Storing chillies

In article ,
Sue da Nimm . wrote:
I've just picked the last of the chillies from the greenhouse. I've got a
good haul of Jalapenos and Rainbows.
I'm going to dry some of the Rainbows and freeze some along with some of the
Jalapenos. I'd like to pickle the rest of the Jalapenos - is there any
special technique?

The two methods I tend to use are drying and Hell Fire Sauce (chilli
sherry), but the latter is more suited to hot chillis rather than
Jalapenos. I would be surprised if they needed any special technique,
so any combination of brine and vinegar (according to taste) would
do. E.g. Modify a recipe for pickled radish pods :-)

I don't know anything about Rainbow chillis - are they hot, or salad
ones like Jalapenos?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jaques d'Alltrades 18-12-2003 01:31 AM

Storing chillies

The message

The two methods I tend to use are drying and Hell Fire Sauce (chilli
sherry), but the latter is more suited to hot chillis rather than
Jalapenos. I would be surprised if they needed any special technique,
so any combination of brine and vinegar (according to taste) would
do. E.g. Modify a recipe for pickled radish pods :-)

I don't know anything about Rainbow chillis - are they hot, or salad
ones like Jalapenos?

I'd like to see you try my jalapenos as a salad chilli!

Phwoar! Huh-huh-huh-huh - - - glugglugglug

--
Rusty Hinge

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

Nick Maclaren 18-12-2003 01:32 AM

Storing chillies

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message

The two methods I tend to use are drying and Hell Fire Sauce (chilli
sherry), but the latter is more suited to hot chillis rather than
Jalapenos. I would be surprised if they needed any special technique,
so any combination of brine and vinegar (according to taste) would
do. E.g. Modify a recipe for pickled radish pods :-)

I don't know anything about Rainbow chillis - are they hot, or salad
ones like Jalapenos?

I'd like to see you try my jalapenos as a salad chilli!

Phwoar! Huh-huh-huh-huh - - - glugglugglug

Well, if they are THAT much hotter than southern USA ones, I doubt
they are Jalapenos. Certainly, genuine Jalapenos ARE a salad chilli,
as any Mexican can tell you :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jaques d'Alltrades 18-12-2003 01:42 AM

Storing chillies

The message

I'd like to see you try my jalapenos as a salad chilli!

Phwoar! Huh-huh-huh-huh - - - glugglugglug

Well, if they are THAT much hotter than southern USA ones, I doubt
they are Jalapenos. Certainly, genuine Jalapenos ARE a salad chilli,
as any Mexican can tell you :-)

They came from South America to the factory where I worked as Jalapino.
There we froze them in liquid nitrogen, them milled them.

Some went on the floor before they were frozen and I collected a couple
of dozen, which I washed and dried. I saved the seed from some, and grew
a small forest of chilli plants, four of which are potted, inside, and
presently decorated with thumb-sized chillis.

One chilli in a casserole for four is *QUITE* enough, and that's how
much Scotch Bonnet I use.

Seeds available with s.a.e.......

Nick Maclaren 18-12-2003 08:36 AM

Storing chillies

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades writes:

| One chilli in a casserole for four is *QUITE* enough, and that's how
| much Scotch Bonnet I use.

Hmm. Interesting. That is certainly not the same variety as is
sold as Jalapeno, either here or in the southern USA.

| Seeds available with s.a.e.......

Yes, please. Where should I send it to?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.