Old 17-12-2003, 09:12 PM
Sue da Nimm

Default Storing chillies

I've just picked the last of the chillies from the greenhouse. I've got a
good haul of Jalapenos and Rainbows.
I'm going to dry some of the Rainbows and freeze some along with some of the
Jalapenos. I'd like to pickle the rest of the Jalapenos - is there any
special technique?

Old 17-12-2003, 09:39 PM
martin

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:11:35 -0000, "Sue da Nimm"
. wrote:

I've just picked the last of the chillies from the greenhouse. I've got a
good haul of Jalapenos and Rainbows.
I'm going to dry some of the Rainbows and freeze some along with some of the
Jalapenos. I'd like to pickle the rest of the Jalapenos - is there any
special technique?

see
http://web.bham.ac.uk/s.m.stocks.cen...illies/DIY.htm
--
Martin
Old 17-12-2003, 09:39 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sue da Nimm . wrote:
I've just picked the last of the chillies from the greenhouse. I've got a
good haul of Jalapenos and Rainbows.
I'm going to dry some of the Rainbows and freeze some along with some of the
Jalapenos. I'd like to pickle the rest of the Jalapenos - is there any
special technique?

The two methods I tend to use are drying and Hell Fire Sauce (chilli
sherry), but the latter is more suited to hot chillis rather than
Jalapenos. I would be surprised if they needed any special technique,
so any combination of brine and vinegar (according to taste) would
do. E.g. Modify a recipe for pickled radish pods :-)

I don't know anything about Rainbow chillis - are they hot, or salad
ones like Jalapenos?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-12-2003, 08:36 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades writes:

| One chilli in a casserole for four is *QUITE* enough, and that's how
| much Scotch Bonnet I use.

Hmm. Interesting. That is certainly not the same variety as is
sold as Jalapeno, either here or in the southern USA.

| Seeds available with s.a.e.......

Yes, please. Where should I send it to?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Chillies Not Flowering Sarah Dale United Kingdom 3 16-08-2003 12:33 AM
Chillies Kieron United Kingdom 7 27-07-2003 07:03 PM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors sprocket United Kingdom 25 19-04-2003 05:44 PM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors Martin Sykes Edible Gardening 3 24-02-2003 10:18 AM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors Martin Sykes Gardening 2 24-02-2003 10:17 AM