GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Harry Lauder,s walki9ng stick (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/48801-harry-lauder-s-walki9ng-stick.html)

Franz Heymann 18-12-2003 01:31 AM

Harry Lauder,s walki9ng stick

Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that it has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New Year's
Day?

Franz

Pam Moore 18-12-2003 01:31 AM

Harry Lauder,s walki9ng stick

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:38:45 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that it has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New Year's
Day?

Why?
Be careful if you do. I gather they are grafted and you could
encourage lots of straight ordinary hazel rather than more
contortions.
Yes I think you would ruin it.

Pam in Bristol

Kay Easton 18-12-2003 01:32 AM

Harry Lauder,s walki9ng stick

In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes
Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that it has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New Year's
Day?

Seems a pity, to coppice it just before the only time of year when it

looks good.

I'd be worried that when it re-grew it would only produce straight
sticks. Mine seems very keen on throwing up straight stems from the
bottom.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Rodger Whitlock 18-12-2003 04:35 AM

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:35:53 +0000, Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes
Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that it has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New Year's
Day?

Seems a pity, to coppice it just before the only time of year when it

looks good.

I'd be worried that when it re-grew it would only produce straight
sticks. Mine seems very keen on throwing up straight stems from the
bottom.

You can root hazels if you are lucky, and it's worth trying so
you get an HLWS on its own roots, hence less prone to throwing
straight suckers.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

martin 18-12-2003 09:04 AM

wrote:

Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that it has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New Year's
Day?

There's a badly constructed subject if ever I saw one. I thought it
was spam. :-)
--
Martin

Franz Heymann 18-12-2003 11:32 AM

wrote:

Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that it

has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New Year's
Day?

Why?
Be careful if you do. I gather they are grafted and you could
encourage lots of straight ordinary hazel rather than more
contortions.
Yes I think you would ruin it.

What a pity. We have a little private path at the back between ourselves
and our neighbours. The hazel of which I speak has got out of hand and is
making the path unusable on wet days.

Please, may I give it a slightly less harsh pruning? (Still harsh, though
{:-)) )

Franz

Pam in Bristol

Franz Heymann 18-12-2003 11:33 AM

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes
Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that it

has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New Year's
Day?

Seems a pity, to coppice it just before the only time of year when it

looks good.

I'd be worried that when it re-grew it would only produce straight
sticks. Mine seems very keen on throwing up straight stems from the
bottom.

More undesirable news {:-((

Franz

Franz Heymann 18-12-2003 11:33 AM

Harry Lauder,s walking stick

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:35:53 +0000, Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes
Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that

it has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New

Year's
Day?

Seems a pity, to coppice it just before the only time of year when it

looks good.

I'd be worried that when it re-grew it would only produce straight
sticks. Mine seems very keen on throwing up straight stems from the
bottom.

You can root hazels if you are lucky, and it's worth trying so
you get an HLWS on its own roots, hence less prone to throwing
straight suckers.

One is enough in the small garden I have, and I am too old to think of
starting a brand new one now. {:-((

Franz

Sue da Nimm 18-12-2003 11:33 AM

wrote:

Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that

it
has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New

Year's
Day?

Why?
Be careful if you do. I gather they are grafted and you could
encourage lots of straight ordinary hazel rather than more
contortions.
Yes I think you would ruin it.

FWIW when we moved here someone had cut out all the twisted branches from
our Hazel, thinking it was diseased! I cut all the straight growth out,
leaving just a stump. After three years it is now about 8ft tall with a good
spread of bizarre contorted branches. I lop the odd straight branches as
they appear.

We also have a twisted willow which is a constant source of worry. It
produces masses of leaves and new twigs every spring - which nearly all die
back come June. It then puts on new growth again in a hap-hazard fashion
until fall. I have carefully removed several dead branches - everything else
seems healthy, but.....

Franz Heymann 18-12-2003 12:02 PM

Harry Lauder's walkinng stick

wrote:

Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that it

has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New Year's
Day?

There's a badly constructed subject if ever I saw one. I thought it
was spam. :-)

Hell's delight.
{:-((

I have now corrected the second one as well.

Franz

--
Martin

martin 18-12-2003 01:03 PM

Harry Lauder's walkinng stick

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:53:42 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that it

has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New Year's
Day?

There's a badly constructed subject if ever I saw one. I thought it
was spam. :-)

Hell's delight.
{:-((

I have now corrected the second one as well.

and now do this one? :-)
--
Martin

Pam Moore 18-12-2003 01:04 PM

Harry Lauder,s walki9ng stick

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:13:53 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

What a pity. We have a little private path at the back between ourselves
and our neighbours. The hazel of which I speak has got out of hand and is
making the path unusable on wet days.

Please, may I give it a slightly less harsh pruning?

In that case I would cut off some of the stems around the base,
leaving the central ones intact. That would give you room to pass but
not spoil the attractiveness too much.
Then you would have to be extra vigilant for the straight ones which
may well try to invade the space you have made.

Pam in Bristol