GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Purple Sprouting Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/48802-purple-sprouting-question.html)

Steve Harris 18-12-2003 01:33 AM

Purple Sprouting Question

In a greengrocer today, I say Purple Sprouting Broccoli for sale marked
"Local". How do they do that?

(I had a few miserable spears on my PS a few months back)

Pam Moore 18-12-2003 10:42 AM

Purple Sprouting Question

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 01:03 +0000 (GMT), (Steve
Harris) wrote:

In a greengrocer today, I say Purple Sprouting Broccoli for sale marked
"Local". How do they do that?

Grown by local farmer? Picked off local allotment? Maybe brought on
in poly-tunnel. Mine not sprouting yet.

Pam in Bristol

Franz Heymann 18-12-2003 04:09 PM

Purple Sprouting Question

Harris) wrote:

In a greengrocer today, I say Purple Sprouting Broccoli for sale marked
"Local". How do they do that?

Grown by local farmer? Picked off local allotment? Maybe brought on
in poly-tunnel. Mine not sprouting yet.

Oh dear, I am disappointed. I thought the thread would be about a question
which had sprouted so much that it turned purple.

Franz

martin 18-12-2003 05:21 PM

Purple Sprouting Question

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:07:06 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
Harris) wrote:

In a greengrocer today, I say Purple Sprouting Broccoli for sale marked
"Local". How do they do that?

Grown by local farmer? Picked off local allotment? Maybe brought on
in poly-tunnel. Mine not sprouting yet.

Oh dear, I am disappointed. I thought the thread would be about a question
which had sprouted so much that it turned purple.

Concentrate on correcting Harry's Laudable's mispelt sick (sic)
--
Martin

Frogleg 18-12-2003 05:21 PM

Purple Sprouting Question

Harris) wrote:

In a greengrocer today, I say Purple Sprouting Broccoli for sale marked
"Local". How do they do that?

(I had a few miserable spears on my PS a few months back)

It's possible, but for US supermarkets at least "local" often means
"grown in the same hemisphere." I've gotten tired of being a
curmudgeon questioning produce managers. I *did* have an acquaintance
who used to flog semi-local apples to large grocery stores, but these
days it seems everything comes on the Big Truck. Ask the manager and
try not to look too unbelieving.

Franz Heymann 18-12-2003 09:42 PM

Purple Sprouting Question

"martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:07:06 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
Harris) wrote:

In a greengrocer today, I say Purple Sprouting Broccoli for sale

marked
"Local". How do they do that?

Grown by local farmer? Picked off local allotment? Maybe brought on
in poly-tunnel. Mine not sprouting yet.

Oh dear, I am disappointed. I thought the thread would be about a

question
which had sprouted so much that it turned purple.

Concentrate on correcting Harry's Laudable's mispelt sick (sic)

I've given up getting that one right. It has a will of its own. {:-((

Franz

david taylor 25-12-2003 09:34 AM

Purple Sprouting Question

Harris) wrote:

In a greengrocer today, I say Purple Sprouting Broccoli for sale marked
"Local". How do they do that?

(I had a few miserable spears on my PS a few months back)

It's possible, but for US supermarkets at least "local" often means
"grown in the same hemisphere." I've gotten tired of being a
curmudgeon questioning produce managers. I *did* have an acquaintance
who used to flog semi-local apples to large grocery stores, but these
days it seems everything comes on the Big Truck. Ask the manager and
try not to look too unbelieving.

We've had a very mild autumn in Devon-some apple trees still have leaves.
Our brocolli is very large and lush -has been since October, but no sign of
sprouts.
Over the years in Cheshire and now in Devon I had gained the impression that
the flowering was light rather than temperature related.
David T.