Old 20-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Leeks - leave them in the ground or dig them up?

I've a number of leeks still lying in the ground, my problem
is whether to dig them up and store them, or leave them
there and dig them out as needed.

If I dig them all out, how should I store them?

Keep it simple, please!

Alan

Old 20-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Robert

:
: If I dig them all out, how should I store them?
:
: Keep it simple, please!
:
: Alan

The simple answer is leave them in the ground, they are very hardy. I take
some up to freeze but they last through to March /April before they start
sending the flower shoot up

Old 20-12-2003, 11:32 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alan wrote in message
I've a number of leeks still lying in the ground, my problem
is whether to dig them up and store them, or leave them
there and dig them out as needed.

If I dig them all out, how should I store them?

I'm just down the road from you, near Staines, and I have two rows almost
untouched still. They will stay there until needed and if not used will then
flower and produce seed or better still, "pips".
The flowers are great for indoors, if you don't like the smell just put them
in weak bleach solution for 24hrs like the florists do with Allium flowers
and others.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
348 data units completed.

Old 21-12-2003, 12:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

"Alan wrote in message
I've a number of leeks still lying in the ground, my problem
is whether to dig them up and store them, or leave them
there and dig them out as needed.

If I dig them all out, how should I store them?

I'm just down the road from you, near Staines, and I have two rows almost
untouched still. They will stay there until needed and if not used will then
flower and produce seed or better still, "pips".

They are one of the hardiest vegetables, and keep perfectly well even
when the ground freezes solid 2" down and rethaws. Dig them up for
use.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Alan Holmes

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I've a number of leeks still lying in the ground, my problem
is whether to dig them up and store them, or leave them
there and dig them out as needed.

If I dig them all out, how should I store them?

Keep it simple, please!

Thanks for the comments.

Alan