Old 20-12-2003, 07:47 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default Growing cherries

I apologise if this comes up twice but I sent a mail and it seems to
have disappeared.

I am thinking of planting a cherry tree but wondered whether any
cherries are so likely to be stripped by birds that there is little
point.

I also wondered about rootstocks. A recent article in 'The Kitchen
Garden recommends new rootstocks, Gisela 5 and Tabel, rather than the
older rootstock, Colt. Space isn't too much of a problem and I'm not
sure whether their advice is only relevant if size is crucial. As far as
varieties are concerned they recommend Celeste, Cherokee, Summer Sun,
Sunburst and Sweetheart as well as the more traditional Stella.

I would be very grateful for any experiences anyone has had with growing
any of these varieties or any other cherries.

Janet G, S. Lincs
Old 20-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Janet Galpin and Oliver
Patterson writes

I am thinking of planting a cherry tree but wondered whether any
cherries are so likely to be stripped by birds that there is little
point.

I also wondered about rootstocks. A recent article in 'The Kitchen
Garden recommends new rootstocks, Gisela 5 and Tabel, rather than the
older rootstock, Colt.

And I'd be grateful to find out if Kitchen garden magazine is right
about the plants they recommend (see my thread on sweet chestnut Regal)
The magazine is very good but I am worried that they are being a trifle
too optimistic with how easy and small things are

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 20-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson
contains these words:

I would be very grateful for any experiences anyone has had with growing
any of these varieties or any other cherries.

My advice would be to insist on a weeping tree - they're so much easier
to net over. My mother had a weeping Morello, and that was a very heavy
cropper. Heavenly jam, rumkirschen and morello gin.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 21-12-2003, 12:14 AM
Stephen Williams

"Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson" wrote in
message ...
I apologise if this comes up twice but I sent a mail and it seems to
have disappeared.

snip

I live on an old Cherry Orchard, indeed the next road is called Cherry
Close, and I have an old very well cropping tree in the garden. The only
problem is that the Black Bird grandparents must sit the youngsters on their
knee and tell them exactly when the tree will be cropping, I only ever
manage to get a few ripe cherries before the tree is stripped!

Steve

Old 21-12-2003, 12:32 AM
David Hill

"........I live on an old Cherry Orchard, indeed the next road is called
Cherry Close, and I have an old very well cropping tree in the garden. The
only problem is that the Black Bird grandparents must sit the youngsters on
their knee and tell them exactly when the tree will be cropping, I only ever
manage to get a few ripe cherries before the tree is stripped! ........."

We used to have the same problem when I was a youngster down in Hastings,
then the farmer next door planted half an acre of strawberries, and we
didn't see a bird on the tree, fantastic crop.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 21-12-2003, 12:33 AM
bnd777

[...]

We had 2 cherry trees and never got one cherry even if we netted bunches or
branches because before the cherries were even ripe the blackbirds would
swipe the lot even untying the netting knots !!!!!!

Unless you can grow cordons or stepovers in a proper fruit cage forget it

Also our large cherry tree sent out roots 30 ft away and destroyed the lawn
in the process

Old 21-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

"........I live on an old Cherry Orchard, indeed the next road is called
Cherry Close, and I have an old very well cropping tree in the garden. The
only problem is that the Black Bird grandparents must sit the youngsters on
their knee and tell them exactly when the tree will be cropping, I only ever
manage to get a few ripe cherries before the tree is stripped! ........."

We used to have the same problem when I was a youngster down in Hastings,
then the farmer next door planted half an acre of strawberries, and we
didn't see a bird on the tree, fantastic crop.

Your posts are most confusing, David: how come the text you're replying
to never has the usual quote marks at the beginning of each line?

Old 21-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Dwayne

I have put 2 cherry trees in my back yard. They are dwarf trees and only 3
or 4 years old. They had charries last year and I got them all, not the
birds.

The back yard is fenced and we have a couple of dogs. I dont know if they
help keep the birds out of the cherry trees or not.

Look in your catalogs for trees that produce yellow cherries. The birds are
a bother only when they think the fruit is ripe, and will leave the yellow
ones alone. I am in the U.S. and most catalog companies offer the yellow
ones. Some companies will ship overseas. If you dont find one, let us know
and I will look them up and give you an address to write or e-mail.

Dwayne

Old 21-12-2003, 06:21 PM
Rod

[...]

We've got Stella and another variety whose name I've forgotten both on Colt and
after over 20yrs they are still small enough to fit in a specially made high
fruit cage. The bad news is we're having to fortify the cage because the birds
will get through just about anything if there's ripening cherries the other
side. As for Dwayne's wimpy merkin birds that don't care for unripe cherries -
well ours are made of sterner stuff - just the first flush of yellow and
they're down a blackbird's (or jay's neck). It was years before we realised
Stella was supposed to be red. I have no experience of newer stocks but they
should be small enough to cage relatively easily. I would forget cherries as a
fruit crop if you can't cage them, but don't let that put you off growing them:
they will hold their own with the best ornamental varieties, the trees will
stay compact and the roots won't overrun the garden (if they *are* an dwarfing
stocks)
--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html

Old 21-12-2003, 09:05 PM
David Hill

"...........Your posts are most confusing, David: how come the text you're
replying to never has the usual quote marks at the beginning of each line?
........."

When I was in school if you were quoting a paragraph you just used quotation
marks ( " ")at the beginning and end of the piece you are quoting, and
certainly not at the start of every line.

Old 21-12-2003, 09:05 PM
martin

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:52:47 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

"...........Your posts are most confusing, David: how come the text you're
replying to never has the usual quote marks at the beginning of each line?
........"

When I was in school if you were quoting a paragraph you just used quotation
marks ( " ")at the beginning and end of the piece you are quoting, and
certainly not at the start of every line.

On internet it's different your mail tool puts the things on for you.
Do you deliberately delete them?
Other mail tools use the to recognise, who has posted what, mine
changes the colour of the text using them.
Mail tools for the blind also use the characters.
--
Martin
Old 21-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Dwayne" contains these words:

I have put 2 cherry trees in my back yard. They are dwarf trees and only 3
or 4 years old. They had charries last year and I got them all, not the
birds.

The back yard is fenced and we have a couple of dogs. I dont know if they
help keep the birds out of the cherry trees or not.

Look in your catalogs for trees that produce yellow cherries. The birds are
a bother only when they think the fruit is ripe, and will leave the yellow
ones alone. I am in the U.S. and most catalog companies offer the yellow
ones. Some companies will ship overseas. If you dont find one, let us know
and I will look them up and give you an address to write or e-mail.

I had two dwarf Stella, and those have largely yellow cherries. The
birds scoffed the lot.

I see we are going to have to send you some of our blackbirds in
exchange for the little grey tree-rats you gave us.......

Old 22-12-2003, 12:04 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from Rod contains these words:

[...]

Thanks for this and all the other helpful replies.
It had occurred to me that just to have one for bird food might not be a
bad idea - and if we attracted a jay or two (not at all common round
here) that would be reward enough.

Janet G.
Old 22-12-2003, 02:33 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

"...........Your posts are most confusing, David: how come the text you're
replying to never has the usual quote marks at the beginning of each line?
........"

When I was in school if you were quoting a paragraph you just used quotation
marks ( " ")at the beginning and end of the piece you are quoting, and
certainly not at the start of every line.

When you were in school I don't expect the internet had been dreamed-up.

(For me, steam engines were a matter of wonder and delight.)

Being the only one in step makes it harder to extract the pith from your
posts....