Old 21-12-2003, 02:36 PM
Ros Butt

Default kitchen bay problem

I have a kitchen bay leaf planted in a container, about three years old,
and over the last few months I have noticed that the leaves are becoming
very pale. I gave it some liquid general purpose feed a while back, but
there was no improvement. I wondered if it needed potting on to a larger
pot? If so - when to do this. Any advice/suggestions gratefully received.
(remove no spam to reply via e-mail)
Ros

Chichester
West Sussex, UK.
Old 21-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Ros Butt wrote:
I have a kitchen bay leaf planted in a container, about three years old,
and over the last few months I have noticed that the leaves are becoming
very pale. I gave it some liquid general purpose feed a while back, but
there was no improvement. I wondered if it needed potting on to a larger
pot? If so - when to do this. Any advice/suggestions gratefully received.

Are you keeping it indoors? If so, it will continue to grow, and there
is no light. So don't worry about it. Repot in spring. It is fairly
hardy and is generally better outdoors, except in very cold winters (or
normal ones for the colder parts of the country).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 21-12-2003, 10:43 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Ros Butt contains these words:

I forgot to mention: it lives outside in a sunny south facing position

You also forgot to mention how big the container is.

They do fairly well in remarkably small containers. Leaves going pale
outside doesn't sound healthy to me.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 22-12-2003, 09:35 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Ros Butt writes:
| I forgot to mention: it lives outside in a sunny south facing position

Perhaps poor drainage. If not, try putting some Epsom salts round
its roots.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 22-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Spider

Hello Ros,
It really does sound as if your bay is in need of urgent potting on. It has
probably used up all the existing soil. This makes it very difficult for
you to get the watering regime right - the roots will lurch from being
underwatered to overwatered.
Normally, I wouldn't suggest potting on in winter, but if this were my bay
tree, I would certainly take the risk. Moving it into a bigger pot is
likely to cause it to put on new growth so you will need to give it some
shelter. Any damaged growth can easily be cut out in spring - bays respond
well to pruning.
When you pot it on, check the roots for damage/pests. I think Laurus
nobilis is probably too woody and fragrant for vine weevil, but I could be
wrong.
Also, check the leaves for signs of the bay sucker; this causes deformity of
the leaves, often on only one side of each leaf attacked. Simply pick off
any affected leaves.
I hope your bay survives. If it does, consider planting it in the open
ground. My own bay is planted out in London clay. It is much happier now
and puts on lots of growth.
Good luck,
Spider