Old 25-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Zizz

Default Data protection Act

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Zizz" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Zizz" wrote in message
snip

That's beside the point and trivial ... this is what the data

protection
act
does and what we have to thank for.

It would have been nice if you had let us know what it is that's

beside
the
point and trivial. You have shorn so much context that I have not the
foggiest idea of what you are addressing.

Franz

So you didn't read the original post!
Maybe you should go back to that and read it.

Not to put too fine a point on it, balls.

Franz

Maybe you should stop thinking with them and use what little grey matter
between your ears ... oh my ... nothing there .... no wonder!

Old 25-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Zizz

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Zizz" contains these words:

It would have been nice if you had let us know what it is that's

beside
the
point and trivial. You have shorn so much context that I have not the
foggiest idea of what you are addressing.

Franz

So you didn't read the original post!
Maybe you should go back to that and read it.

Franz is right (in this instance....) I hadn't a clue about which of the
forty odd items left unexpired in this thread, or indeed, earlier ones
which have gone, you were replying to so I deleted your comment and
moved on.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

Ahhhh so I wasn't replying to the original post then .... I was replying to
all the other posts ... like you said Franz is right ... in his second post
to mine!

Old 25-12-2003, 08:32 PM
Tumbleweed

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from martin contains these words:

DPA was used as a very poor excuse for police incompetence in the
Humberside Police Force. It was quite clear that the DPA does not
apply in this case.

The Humberside dibble claim to have taken legal opinion.

They have to be absolutely scrupulous about adhering to the law
(criminal law especially) and whatever your gut feeling is about the
stupidity of some legislation, they have to heed legal opinion -
especially in an area so easily checked.

Perhaps they might consider sacking their legal advisor, just in case
another booby like this occurs?

If they had disregarded theit legal advice, which no doubt cost them a lot
of money, they would probably have solved the case much more quickly, thus
saving themselves money which might have helped the progress of other

cases.
The worst that could have happened would be that they might have had their
knuckles formally rapped with a cotton wool covered ruler. But they would
have emerged from the issue with considerably more honour.

Franz

No, the worst would have been headlines in the tabloids screaming how the
stupid police broke the DPA by not erasing data of 'innocent' people, and
demanding the person in charge be sacked. Thats the way the DPA works in
practice, its so vague that its meaning is defined by the results of
prosecutions, rather than by anyone being able to make sense of it and no
what to do in the first place. The very fact that different police forces
work differently with regard to it shows this, they are just going on legal
advice, and the lawyers cant make their minds up collectively what it means.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 25-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Mike

The very fact that different police forces
work differently with regard to it shows this, they are just going on

legal
advice, and the lawyers cant make their minds up collectively what it

means.

--
Tumbleweed

Like I said waaaaaaaaaaaaay back ...

The Data Protection Act is very 'wooly' and has more holes in it than a worn
out cardigan,

Mike

Old 25-12-2003, 09:42 PM
John Rouse

In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Peter Crosland
writes

I am not sure if you are joking here but in my experience public bodies
frequently cite the DPA as an excuse for all sorts of things without having
any real understanding of the rules.

As we've seen only too clearly in the last couple of weeks, with first
Soham and then British gas.

I can see no good reason why British Gas should keep the age of their
customers on record.

Neither can I see why the police should keep every unsubstantiated
rumour about someone on file for evermore. Even less so when they have
been cleared of the crime.

John
--
John Rouse

Old 25-12-2003, 11:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Zizz
writes

So you didn't read the original post!
Maybe you should go back to that and read it.

Quoting context means we wouldn't have to. If you don't quote context,
your post will only be understood by those who feel your post is of
sufficient interest to be worth going back to the previous post to read
what the context was.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 25-12-2003, 11:33 PM
Zizz

Most people would have read the previous post and then read responses to
them.
Bit like the etiquette between top posting where you don't have to trawl
through 40 odd responses to get to the latest response.

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Zizz
writes

So you didn't read the original post!
Maybe you should go back to that and read it.

Quoting context means we wouldn't have to. If you don't quote context,
your post will only be understood by those who feel your post is of
sufficient interest to be worth going back to the previous post to read
what the context was.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Rather than bottom posting when people can't be bothered to snip the
context!

I think enough has been said on this, it's a garden newsgroup not a net
nanny site let's get back to garden topics!

Old 25-12-2003, 11:34 PM
hugh

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"David Hill" wrote in message
"...........Actually, no, it isn't. You are not a data holder under

either
of the two Acts if you simply reply to a message. If you disagree, please
post or Email a reference to the section of the Act that makes it
illegal........"

Actually the reference came from a programme on Radio 4 today dealing with
the above act, and it was given as one of the lesser known anomalies of

the
act, when they were stressing the need for it to be radically revised.

The act stinks with anomalies. Even the address list which Outlook Express
keeps for my personal use is not supposed to hold data on any person for
more than 30 days. In principle every user of OE should registrer with the
Data Protection Registrar.

Franz

Utter rubbish.
--
hugh
Old 26-12-2003, 10:02 AM
martin

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 16:10:21 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message

Just remember that this whole mess was foisted onto us by Europe,

I doubt it. I had to deal with it nearly two decades before the time of the
Maastricht Treaty.

but it's easier to blame the EU for everything and hope people haven't
long memories.
--
Martin
Old 26-12-2003, 10:03 AM
martin

"Zizz" wrote in message
snip

That's beside the point and trivial ... this is what the data

protection
act
does and what we have to thank for.

It would have been nice if you had let us know what it is that's

beside
the
point and trivial. You have shorn so much context that I have not the
foggiest idea of what you are addressing.

Franz

So you didn't read the original post!
Maybe you should go back to that and read it.

Not to put too fine a point on it, balls.

Franz

Maybe you should stop thinking with them and use what little grey matter
between your ears ... oh my ... nothing there .... no wonder!

Try doing a google search on Franz's name and you'll find he has a lot
more than the average amount of intelligence. Franz is too modest.
--
Martin

Old 26-12-2003, 10:05 AM
Franz Heymann

"Zizz" wrote in message

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Zizz
writes

So you didn't read the original post!
Maybe you should go back to that and read it.

Quoting context means we wouldn't have to. If you don't quote context,
your post will only be understood by those who feel your post is of
sufficient interest to be worth going back to the previous post to read
what the context was.

Most people would have read the previous post and then read responses to
them.
Bit like the etiquette between top posting where you don't have to trawl
through 40 odd responses to get to the latest response.

Zizz, pretending to be silly.
Do you know the significance of those two litle characters "--" which appear
below some posts?
Do you realise that that puerile attempt of yours to illustrate bottom
posting actually occurred below the sig-line of the previous poster, and
that the majority of the urglers would therefore probably have missed it
entirely, and that it would be lost forever the very first time anybody
removed the sig lines, as usually happens?
I usually remove sig lines, but I leave this one in order to illustrate your
error.

Old 26-12-2003, 10:32 AM
Tumbleweed

"John Rouse" wrote in message
In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Peter Crosland
writes

I am not sure if you are joking here but in my experience public bodies
frequently cite the DPA as an excuse for all sorts of things without

having
any real understanding of the rules.

As we've seen only too clearly in the last couple of weeks, with first
Soham and then British gas.

I can see no good reason why British Gas should keep the age of their
customers on record.

Neither can I see why the police should keep every unsubstantiated
rumour about someone on file for evermore. Even less so when they have
been cleared of the crime.

....when someone has been cleared of 10 or 20 'unsubstantiated' rumours from
10 or 20 different and unconnected people, maybe there is a reason?

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 26-12-2003, 10:42 AM
Zizz

"Zizz" wrote in message
[...]

Ahh the intelligence to write in such a manner as to irritate people enough
for them to respond in kind!

Old 26-12-2003, 11:02 AM
martin

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 10:38:43 GMT, "Zizz"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Maybe you should stop thinking with them and use what little grey matter
between your ears ... oh my ... nothing there .... no wonder!

Try doing a google search on Franz's name and you'll find he has a lot
more than the average amount of intelligence. Franz is too modest.

Ahh the intelligence to write in such a manner as to irritate people enough
for them to respond in kind!

for example...

?

--
Martin
Old 26-12-2003, 11:34 AM
Ophelia

"Zizz" wrote in message

So you didn't read the original post!
Maybe you should go back to that and read it.

Not to put too fine a point on it, balls.

Franz

Maybe you should stop thinking with them and use what little grey matter
between your ears ... oh my ... nothing there .... no wonder!

Try doing a google search on Franz's name and you'll find he has a lot
more than the average amount of intelligence. Franz is too modest.

I hate to do a me too, but in this case I DO agree!