GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sea Kale? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/49186-sea-kale.html)

Steve Harris 26-12-2003 05:12 PM

Sea Kale?

Anyone grown (and eaten) this? Books and catalogues suggest it's
good-looking, delicious and not too difficult?

Sacha 26-12-2003 05:34 PM

Sea Kale?

Steve Harris26/12/03 5:00

Anyone grown (and eaten) this? Books and catalogues suggest it's
good-looking, delicious and not too difficult?

I haven't grown it but I have eaten it and I think it is delicious, yes.

--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Alan Gould 26-12-2003 07:02 PM

Sea Kale?

In article , Steve
Harris writes
Anyone grown (and eaten) this? Books and catalogues suggest it's
good-looking, delicious and not too difficult?

There are a number of vegetables in this range. They are all in the
brassica family and they are relatively easy to grow and very good to
eat. We often use young leaves chopped raw in salads. Some seakales can
be grown as perennials, some are more akin to chards, spinach beets and
perpetual spinach. Whichever one you try, don't start seeding them too
early, a late April or early May sowing will help to prevent later
bolting. Leaves can be taken on a cut-and-come-again basis, making
cropping available for up to 12 months in some cases.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Jaques d'Alltrades 26-12-2003 11:41 PM

Sea Kale?

The message
from (Steve Harris) contains these words:

Anyone grown (and eaten) this? Books and catalogues suggest it's
good-looking, delicious and not too difficult?

I've picked it on the margins of the sea, but not grown it.

It is good-looking, it is delicious and it is very nutritious.

I wouldn't think it is too difficult on a slightly alkaline soil.

--
Rusty Hinge

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

Steve Harris 27-12-2003 07:48 PM

Sea Kale?

In article ,
(Alan Gould) wrote:

Some seakales can
be grown as perennials, some are more akin to chards, spinach beets
and perpetual spinach

Thanks. I'm looking particularly at Crambe maritima 'Lily White'

Alan Gould 28-12-2003 07:05 AM

Sea Kale?

In article , Steve
Harris writes
In article ,
(Alan Gould) wrote:

Some seakales can
be grown as perennials, some are more akin to chards, spinach beets
and perpetual spinach

Thanks. I'm looking particularly at Crambe maritima 'Lily White'

A very good choice, well worth trying. Crambe can be grown and cropped
as a perennial, the risk being that brassicas grown in the same place
for several years can encourage club root. It can be forced outdoors by
covering with pots in November, or indoors by keeping covered roots in
temperatures of around 55F/15C overwinter. Forced roots are disposed of
after cropping.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Steve Harris 28-12-2003 02:12 PM

Sea Kale?

In article ,
(Jaques d'Alltrades) wrote:

I've picked it on the margins of the sea, but not grown it.

It is good-looking, it is delicious and it is very nutritious.

Did you pick and eat it from the wild (IE without forcing) and it was
delicious?

Steve Harris 28-12-2003 02:12 PM

Sea Kale?

In article ,
(Alan Gould) wrote:

the risk being that brassicas grown in the same place
for several years can encourage club root

Well, our soil is naturally alkaline which helps.

Jaques d'Alltrades 28-12-2003 05:42 PM

Sea Kale?

(Jaques d'Alltrades) wrote:

I've picked it on the margins of the sea, but not grown it.

It is good-looking, it is delicious and it is very nutritious.

Did you pick and eat it from the wild (IE without forcing) and it was
delicious?

Picked it on the Sussex coast and the Essex coast, and yes, it was an
experience I want to repeat.

Also picked sea beet (Beta vulgaris subsp. maritima); hastate orache
(Atriplex hastata); glasswort (Salicornia several species); samphire
(Crithmum maritimum) - all delicious all in Essex. Oh, and wild
asparagus (Asparagus officinalis) during the war when I was rather
small, somewhere near Seaford: might have been Cuckmere Haven.

martin 28-12-2003 05:43 PM

Sea Kale?

(Jaques d'Alltrades) wrote:

I've picked it on the margins of the sea, but not grown it.

It is good-looking, it is delicious and it is very nutritious.

Did you pick and eat it from the wild (IE without forcing) and it was
delicious?

Picked it on the Sussex coast and the Essex coast, and yes, it was an
experience I want to repeat.

It grows amongst Chesil Bank like stones in Cote d'Amor, Brittany. I
never thought to pick or eat it. We were bloated with Fruits de Mer.
--
Martin