GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Chilterns Catalogue (was Neighbour Trouble) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/49187-re-chilterns-catalogue-neighbour-trouble.html)

Steve Harris 26-12-2003 05:12 PM

Chilterns Catalogue (was Neighbour Trouble)

In article ,
(Kay Easton) wrote:

the chiltern catalogue has arrived!

Is it just me, or does anyone else find their plant descriptions just a
bit too full of superlatives?

Kay Easton 27-12-2003 04:02 PM

Chilterns Catalogue (was Neighbour Trouble)

In article , Steve
Harris writes
In article ,
(Kay Easton) wrote:

the chiltern catalogue has arrived!

Is it just me, or does anyone else find their plant descriptions just a
bit too full of superlatives?

Compared with Thompson and Morgan, no ;-)

But they are trying to sell us something - obviously every single plant
in their catalogue will be out of this world ;-)
So yes, they do make the most mundane plants sound special. And they
have the usual seed-merchant's optimism about the hardiness and
propensity to flower and set fruit of most of their offerings. But
they're not overly expensive, they give good service, and they have a
good range, particularly of species as opposed to garden varieties.

I usually look things up elsewhere before buying. It also tells me other
useful things like 'needs well drained soil and an open aspect' -
something I am unable to supply in my garden!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: