Old 31-12-2003, 08:20 PM
Sacha

Default Telegraph quiz

Nick Maclaren31/12/03 4:33

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

However anyone can take part so why not have a go?

Moral objections to supporting a chauvinistic rag that incites hatred
against the vulnerable. Since you asked.

Sadly, I think that could apply to almost any newspaper, depending on how
you read it and your stance before you read it. ;-(

That is regrettably true. Many local papers are rather better, but
the only nationals that are relatively free from inciting hatred
are the Independent, the Guardian and possibly the Scotsman. All
others have regular, directed campaigns where they incite hatred
against one or more vulnerable groups. The Independent (which we
take) has some such articles, but has little coherent policy and
rarely mounts campaigns. I can't stand the Guardian, on other grounds.

We take The Times and the Daily Mail and read both with the salt cellar
close at hand! I find the Guardian too smug and self-righteous, haven't
read the Scotsman, though have heard good things of it. I have never been
able to take the Independent seriously since its inception when it declared
that its ambition was never to have a story about any member of the royal
family on its front page - if that story is to be believed in itself!
We also take the Western Morning News and it's very conservative to suit the
area it covers, I suppose. But I think it does give fair play to all in
terms of what it writes about, the letters page etc.

One could also include the Morning Star, on the grounds that the
targets of its hate campaigns are not vulnerable :-)

Or maybe the Sunday Sport? CAN double deckers on Mars be vulnerable? ;-0

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-12-2003, 09:48 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , PK
writes

try Google: David Douglas RHS , the fist result gives his life (& death)
history!

Did eventually find it, have no idea why I couldn't in the first place !
thanks to everyone for help.

the other that I can't do was a picture of some fir cones and you had
to guess:

These cones are typically borne by:
a) Korean fir
b) Douglas fir
c) Serbian spruce
d) Corsican pine

ditto, Google: (plant name) Image search

HOWEVER................ This is one where I found two cones very, very
similar to the photo ...............

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 31-12-2003, 09:48 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

However anyone can take part so why not have a go?

Moral objections to supporting a chauvinistic rag that incites hatred
against the vulnerable. Since you asked.

But you don't have to read the newspaper to enter the quiz!
Though I would have the same objection as you if I were told to buy the
Guardian................

Old 31-12-2003, 09:48 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

Anyone else doing the gardening quiz in the Telegraph on Saturday? I've
done all but about two questions.?

No. Go on then, tell us what the last two are :-)

Janet

Well I thought I knew one, but now I find that I can't decide if a
Norfolk hoe has two, four prongs or one blade or a blade and four
prongs! I thought it had just four prongs but someone has now told me
that's not correct!

janet