Old 04-01-2004, 02:36 AM
Rusty Hinge

Default Builders' sand for drainage?

The message
from "doug." contains these words:

However, I once got some sacks full of the old straw bedding used for
deep litter on shed floors for fattening cows, and used that as compost.
After its use it had been stacked five years. The particular border it
was dug into promptly decided to do very poorly for a year or three.
I reached the conclusion that it was the funny feed and hormones and
chemics fed to the static cows which "done the damage".
("Static" == meaning not moving, being herded in sheds).

If it was just stacked and not composted, it would rob the soil of
nitrogen while it decayed. There's the possibility too, that if it was
some time ago, the feed had contained an antibiotic, and this was
killing the soil bacteria.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 04-01-2004, 12:17 PM
doug.

In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
The message
from "doug." contains these words:

However, I once got some sacks full of the old straw bedding used for
deep litter on shed floors for fattening cows, and used that as compost.
After its use it had been stacked five years. The particular border it
was dug into promptly decided to do very poorly for a year or three.
I reached the conclusion that it was the funny feed and hormones and
chemics fed to the static cows which "done the damage".
("Static" == meaning not moving, being herded in sheds).

If it was just stacked and not composted, it would rob the soil of
nitrogen while it decayed. There's the possibility too, that if it was
some time ago, the feed had contained an antibiotic, and this was
killing the soil bacteria.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thank you Mr. Rusty.
Yes!, Good thinking!. I go for the antibiotic approach now you mention
it. The borders have recovered now, but six apple bushes I had grafted
on dwarf rootstock gradually failed with canker etc. Mind you, I am up
the N'West on the tip of the Furness peninsular and when I see those
lovely apples from warmer climes I think I am on a bum steer here,
climate-wise, though my pears, plums and blackberries flourish.
On another tack , some time ago I was offered a small stack of
well-rotted hay from a silo. I rang the Min of Ag & Fish and they said
it was just inert matter and could be used but the result would not be
encouraging, so I abandoned the idea. A farmer friend I was visiting
was making up a silo load and he was putting very dilute treacle into
it. I don't know whether it was for to add a bit of taste or to assist
the composting.
Doug.

Doug.

Old 04-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Franz Heymann

"doug." wrote in message
news
[...]

The treacle ferments in the silage. It makes booze for the animals to keep
them happy while eating that substitute for grass.

Franz

Old 05-01-2004, 01:03 PM
doug.

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"doug." wrote in message
[...]

+++++++++++++
That's a rather quaint way of putting it, Franz!.
Perhaps that's why we see female cows lifting themselves on to each
other's haunches, - nothing to do with that-there-'ere, - but that
they're just a bit pie-eyed!. (:^\)
Doug.
--
douglas A. denny
Old 05-01-2004, 01:04 PM
doug.

In message , Rusty Hinge1
writes
The message
from "doug." contains these words:

Yes!, Good thinking!. I go for the antibiotic approach now you mention
it. The borders have recovered now, but six apple bushes I had grafted
on dwarf rootstock gradually failed with canker etc. Mind you, I am up
the N'West on the tip of the Furness peninsular and when I see those
lovely apples from warmer climes I think I am on a bum steer here,
climate-wise, though my pears, plums and blackberries flourish.

You may be encouraged by the excellent (if rather small0 apples which
grew on a croft I knew on the Isle of Lewis.

On another tack , some time ago I was offered a small stack of
well-rotted hay from a silo. I rang the Min of Ag & Fish and they said
it was just inert matter and could be used but the result would not be
encouraging, so I abandoned the idea.

I wonder if they wanted it? For well-rotted hay, read leafmould. OK, it
is probably not as good as broad-leaved plants' leafmould because it
doesn't contain a lot of the waste chemicals shed leaves do, but as a
conditioner it would have helped your soil structure.

A farmer friend I was visiting
was making up a silo load and he was putting very dilute treacle into
it. I don't know whether it was for to add a bit of taste or to assist
the composting.

If the contents of the silo were for feeding cattle, it was to balance
the nutrients. I'm going to be good from now onwards - I don't want to
be reincarnated as a cow.....

+++++++++++++++
I don't want to lower the tone of the conversation Rusty, but am
reminded of the the old, old answer to the question, "why do cows always
look so gloomy?"
Doug.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:03 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "doug." contains these words:

I don't want to lower the tone of the conversation Rusty, but am
reminded of the the old, old answer to the question, "why do cows always
look so gloomy?"

Coo! Someone with a concience!

Have you got any seeds to spare?